Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a little left over red from another project a while back so figured I would paint the rear mud guard to match since I don't want to pony up the money for the pretty CF one. There is a little bit of an orange peel effect to it but unless you are close its not noticeable, not too bad since I sprayed it outside. (Don't have a climate controlled paint booth:eek:) I think it looks pretty good but thought I would solicit opinions.......so let em fly boys.........

Attachments

·
7,733 Posts
Is that paint going to stick to the plastic hugger?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you did a great job. The color matched perfectly. How did you get the exact paint matching?
I wasn't sure it was going to but it turned out pretty good.;) Its actually paint that I had matched to my last bike (Hyper) to paint the rear exhaust panels from the Termi Kit. I took in a piece of the bodywork into a local paint shop and we matched it by eyeballing it if you can believe that. They were unable to use the computer scanner because the part I brought in was not large enough. Its a BASF paint. I have paint codes if anyone needs them.

Is that paint going to stick to the plastic hugger?

As for that I can only say time will tell. I painted the black plastic side panels on my Hyper and had no problems. It appears that the paint and clear coat adhered nicely so I am hoping it won't have any issue with the exception of maybe regular wear and tear. I prepared the fender by using a flexible automotive primer then sanding and putting on a second coat and sanding again. I then sprayed it red and put two fairly heavy coats of clear with hardner so it should be pretty durable I believe. As I said time will tell I gues, worse case scenerio I have to buy another black plastic fender for $30 bucks or just strip this one if it starts to come off.

Oh and thanks for the props Quanton.........

J

·
0 Posts
Nice Touch

It looks :cool: Like the Ducati SS but w/ panniers.I like it.Let that piece dry out then add coats of wax on the inside and outside,grime,rocks,chain gunk will accumilate on the inside of the guard,nice bling . :)

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Looks like you achieved good value for money.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
M-M,

That's a good job, and the match works well. Looks like a factory option. I doubt you will have any issues with adhesion considering you took the right steps through your process. Only thing you gotta watch out for is oil from chain or breather building up, but considering how clean your bike looks, I'd say that's a moot point as well.:D

On the advice side, I'd find a nice little touch up brush and hand line the edge with Red (around the wedge-shaped cut-out on the side of the guard). Or tape off the outside up to the beaded edge and spray it from the inside. Sorry to be a nit-picker on what really is a great effort on your part, but it's only because I care, man. If you want to go the brush route, I've got some nice striping brushes you can borrow, I'll ship them for free for being the first jackass on your cool thread.:eek:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
It looks unique, haven't seen that done before. One thing to consider is that plastics expand in heat, especially less dense plastics. So it might depend on how hot it gets, out in the sun, maybe pipes, vs. how flexible the paint is as to how well it lasts.

For more bling you could do the open clutch cover and Ducat Designs headlight. :cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
You did a good job! Could I get the paint code you used? I have to repaint one of my lower fairings. I am going to attempt to spray it in a paint booth at work.:eek:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
M-M,

That's a good job, and the match works well. Looks like a factory option. I doubt you will have any issues with adhesion considering you took the right steps through your process. Only thing you gotta watch out for is oil from chain or breather building up, but considering how clean your bike looks, I'd say that's a moot point as well.:D

On the advice side, I'd find a nice little touch up brush and hand line the edge with Red (around the wedge-shaped cut-out on the side of the guard). Or tape off the outside up to the beaded edge and spray it from the inside. Sorry to be a nit-picker on what really is a great effort on your part, but it's only because I care, man. If you want to go the brush route, I've got some nice striping brushes you can borrow, I'll ship them for free for being the first jackass on your cool thread.:eek:
Thanks for the compliments fella's. Yes I too noted that little spot in the cutout that didn't get sprayed all the way. Unfortunately I didn't have a place to hang it and spray so I did it on a table and it was a bit difficult to get the sray into all the little nooks. I might try a brush right there and thanks for the offer but I have some that will work.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks unique, haven't seen that done before. One thing to consider is that plastics expand in heat, especially less dense plastics. So it might depend on how hot it gets, out in the sun, maybe pipes, vs. how flexible the paint is as to how well it lasts.

For more bling you could do the open clutch cover and Ducat Designs headlight. :cool:
Don't worry Jasper the clutch bling will be coming. I am pacing myself with mods and am a bit of a tightwad so I usually hunt for while when looking for something. I think I am going to go with the open half moon CF cover and either a black or red clutch plate. Haven't decided yet on the clutch plate. I just installed the ZG touring screen so it'll be a little while before I do another mod that will cost me coin anyway. The paint was just my time since I had it already. I also want an aftermarket seat and am leaning towards a Sergeant but wish they had a detatchable passenger backrest like the Corbin. I have a laundry list of mods that the st will eventually see as long as I keep it for a while anyway. Pazzo's, Quick release fasteners with LT's kit, DD Headlight for sure, heated grips, CF dash inserts, possible rear shock upgrade etc. I could go on and on but I'll stop now.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re Paint codes: This is from 'Ducati ST FAQ' site

Not sure on accuracy...

2. Specifications

2.1 Colour Specifications

Colour
Paint Code

Red

Yellow

Metallic Silver (ST2 only)

Metallic Blue (ST2 only)

Matt Grey (ST4s only)

Metallic Black (ST2 only)

Metallic Dark Grey (ST4 model with red wheels)

Gloss Black (introduced 2005)

Thanks to Ian Ellis for the following info, and applies to the USA:

· Colour codes are manufacturer code

· Colour Rite touch up pens can be purchased from Fast by Ferracci http://www.ferracci.com/

· Gold frame and wheel colour is F99835

· Clear coat is TFCC(U)

· Blue is 7570U

· Yellow listed as F99815 (not tried)

· Red 94-new listed as F99805 (not tried)

· Dark Anthracite/Metallic Gray listed as F99820 (not tried)

· Light silver is listed as F99825 (not tried)

Additional information available at http://www.color-rite.com/

·
Registered
37 Posts
You know I was gonna do the exact same thing to my ST3, I was also thinking though of making the rims gold. But in response to the "whether or not the paint will adhere" I have alot of experience in painting, if you ever have a paint project such as this to do again, they make a product called "flexative" that you add, usually one part to your paint recipe, and it will make your paint as flexible as the plastic is. You add it to not just the paint, but the clear also. Your bike looks great, I think im definitely gonna paint my hugger (rear fender) now.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
347 Posts
Menace,

I like it. I traded in an 06 800 SS for an 01 ST4, and thought the ST4 without the bags needed a little extra color in the back. Your mod took care of that.

Some of the mods I'm planning....

1. Sargent seat, though like you I wish they had a detachable seat back like the Corbins.

2. The light kit from Ducati Designs.

3. Stiffer springs front and rear, gold valves up front, rebuild the rear shock, plus suspension tuning by local shop. I weigh 230 buck nekid, so the little red moto needs a helping hand.

4. I'd love to paint the frame red and the wheels black. I liked how that looked on the SS.

ape

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Menace,

I like it. I traded in an 06 800 SS for an 01 ST4, and thought the ST4 without the bags needed a little extra color in the back. Your mod took care of that.

Some of the mods I'm planning....

1. Sargent seat, though like you I wish they had a detachable seat back like the Corbins.

2. The light kit from Ducati Designs.

3. Stiffer springs front and rear, gold valves up front, rebuild the rear shock, plus suspension tuning by local shop. I weigh 230 buck nekid, so the little red moto needs a helping hand.

4. I'd love to paint the frame red and the wheels black. I liked how that looked on the SS.

ape
Thanks Ape, Thats the problem with Ducati's there is always a billion mods you can do if have the $$$$ and its not model specific they all have mods to be done........its a damn addiction.........:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
You did a great job!!!

I think you did a great improvement to the appearance of the rear of the bike.
I had a color coordinated rear hugger on my 2003 SV1000S and thought it looked nice.

I bought a 2007 ST3 that had about 2,350 miles on it a few months back. In the unlikely event that I keep it and don’t resell it next spring I will definitely be following your lead.

Thanks for the photos and the paint info.
James

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think it looks fantastic. You just gotta love it when something so simple, done yourself, turns out so great. Nice job. Let us know what happens after some miles & the heat of summer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts