Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to pick your collective brains on this. Just spoke to the Belstaff representative in California and apparently Prada has bought the rights to produce the Trialmaster and their leather bike jacket for $20mm! As a result, Belstaff is no longer selling those jackets (other than really large or small sizes). That really is unfortunate. I've ben looking for a new jacket, and my first preference is to get one without "Ducati" written all over it, is slim fitting, and suits the look of a yellow Ducati Sport 1000. Also, I noticed that Ducati gear is priced at almost double the US price here in Canada.

Any recommendations on good quality (read safe), stylish, "traditional" leathers or even fabric jackets? I've ruled out Joe Rocket, BMW gear is great but fits baggy and doesn't really look the part. :confused:

·
comrade moderator
26,770 Posts
I'm a big believer in Vanson, personally. I like their jacket designs. Very well made, very heavy duty, not a lot of bling (no aero humps and useless scoops). Not cheap, but worth every penny in my mind.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Chuckracer said:
I'm a big believer in Vanson, personally. I like their jacket designs. Very well made, very heavy duty, not a lot of bling (no aero humps and useless scoops). Not cheap, but worth every penny in my mind.

+1 on the Vanson.

Conservative styling, excellent construction. A bit pricy though. ;)

-Bob

·
Registered
403 Posts
I believe the Belstaff Trailmaster is a three quarter length textile jacket, targeting the touring and adventure touring crowd (i.e. BMW GS rider would be a bullseye). But you ask about "traditional" and "leather". Guess I'm looking for a little more clarification on your wants. What type of riding do you want this jacket to handle well? Are you looking for a retro styled jacket to match the Sport 1000?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vanson

My choice is Vanson. I have both a perforated and a semiperforated jacket and pants. Fit well. Great quality and heaven forbid a get-off at speed, they would hold up. The perforated gear flows air well, even in high summer temps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nathan, yes I want something for the Sport 1000 (got to fit the look). The Trialmaster was a bit of an aside - just interesting how fashion took control of that brand. The other, a short leather jacket called the "Turbo" is the look I really wanted, but its all sold out now (see http://www.belstaffusa.com/jackets.asp). Looking for mostly street riding, but would be good if it can fit a pair of leather pants for the ocassional track day (pure lapping, not competitive).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Vanson and Dainese both offer fantastic quality jackets, with the nod for more retro compatible options going to Vanson. A good Vanson dealer can also get you custom colors/patches and sizing for just slightly more. Although they can be a bit of a hefty initial investment, they make the kind of jackets you only buy once a decade (or more). Care for them well and they break in, fit, and last like almost nothing else does these days.

Cortech/Tour Master makes a couple of retro styled jackets, as does First Gear. At the shop, we've looked at a few of the Cortech offerings and are currently carrying a couple jackets. We're very pleased with the mesh/leather combo jackets and their extensive safety options, which are usually quite limited in a mesh jacket (plus they have substantial pants that match). One jacket which we are not currently carrying, but which I've been somewhat intersted in is the Coaster jacket. Retro styling with decent protection (from description only, have no first hand experience), and reasonably priced. Plus a couple of really nice features, too, like full circumference zipper for possible track-pant attachment, and the option to use the liner as full sleeve or just vest. I'll let you do your own googling or check with whatever vendor you prefer to use.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have a Vanson for my warm riding jacket. There is no padding or hard protection. It is sort of a retro in looks and has some zip down vents. The leather is sooo thick and nice.

I have sent it to Vanson twice now to add bicep stripes and to add my name and stars on the back.

They do a great job after the sale.

Dave Harhay

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Chuckracer said:

I'm a big Vanson fan as well . . . but I've heard that they are closing down their US operation. :(

·
Registered
401 Posts
Another vote for Vanson here and their stuff lasts.
My son is now wearing my very 1st Vanson jacket and it's 35 years old.
If I could still fit in it I wouldn't have had to by a new one.
http://www.vansonleathers.com/

·
Administrator
6,138 Posts
I am not much of a retro fan, but I have 4 sets of Dainese.
Cant go wrong with that.
It is simply the best.
Nakano going off at 180 mph, sliding forever, getting up, and kicking the bike, is the best product endorsement I can imagine.
Vanson is good, but just not my style.
Really it is up to your tastes.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Dainese has a couple jackets with a mix of textile and leather that you might like:
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=773%7CDainese%20Collection&CategoryID=776|Leather%20Jackets&collection=773%7CDainese%20Collection

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=773%7CDainese%20Collection&CategoryID=788|Summer%20Textiles&collection=773%7CDainese%20Collection

...sign up on the website as a member for discounts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I noticed not one person has mentioned the ducati brand as a good option. Although I think they are made by Dainese... Thanks folks, really helpful. I will check them out, but Vanson isn't available easily up here in Canada. I was interested to find this retro leather armored jacket called SUPERFLY pelle on the Dainese site - pretty alternative and very interesting looking IMO. Now I have to buy 2 jackets...wait till my wife hears that

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
AM1001 said:
Thanks guys. I noticed not one person has mentioned the ducati brand as a good option.
Thanks again!
could that be because in your 1st post you said...
I've ben looking for a new jacket, and my first preference is to get one without "Ducati" written all over it

D

·
0 Posts
We still have the Turbo in stock and the Montana is being reintroduced under the new British Motorcycle Gear logo. The entire Belstaff line is still in production just under a new name.. British Motorcycle Gear. The Italians bought out the brand name but the production continues under a new name www.BritishMotorcycleGear.com the only jacket we cannot continue to produce is the Classic Trialmaster the Italians bought the rights to this design with the brand name.

·
Registered
118 Posts
dante said:
We still have the Turbo in stock and the Montana is being reintroduced under the new British Motorcycle Gear logo. The entire Belstaff line is still in production just under a new name.. British Motorcycle Gear. The Italians bought out the brand name but the production continues under a new name www.BritishMotorcycleGear.com the only jacket we cannot continue to produce is the Classic Trialmaster the Italians bought the rights to this design with the brand name.
It is not leather , but I really like my Belstaff Mercury jacket ... for a leather I have a Ducati Performance ... it does have Ducati down the sleeve , but the letters are black on a black jacket .. very low key :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts