Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone can shed some light on this leak. It's always just a touch wet. Not enough to be dripping on the ground but I'm sure it's not supposed to be leaking at all. Wonder what it is, and how big of a deal it is to fix, etc..

Thanks in advance.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Looks like the clutch slave cylinder has a minor leak. Has the clutch been replaced? You also might pull off the clutch cover and check that the pressure plate is ok, since slave cylinders can fail from a defective pressure plate.

If it's just the slave that is affected, you would be better off to just replace the stock one than to get another stocker or try to rebuilt it.

Get one of these...

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=D002 (they also come in black).

25% reduction in clutch effort. Not sure of the actual bore size (29mm maybe?)

Install, bleed, good to go.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure how to tell which fluid it is. Seems fairly minor. I hope. So I'm going to move forward with my upcoming road trip, of about 1,000 miles. And deal with it when I come back..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Most probably the clutch slave leaking like SE84 suggested. Might want to carry along a little clutch fluid in case she starts running low. That way you can keep her topped off till you get back. Have a great trip. Post trip report and pictures when you get back!!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, looked at the manual. Talks about topping off the clutch and brake fluid. I can see the brake fluid reservoir but can not find the clutch fluid one... Any hints?

thanks.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
So, looked at the manual. Talks about topping off the clutch and brake fluid. I can see the brake fluid reservoir but can not find the clutch fluid one... Any hints?

thanks.
Should be the round container atop the clutch lever master cylinder. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Manual doesn't show it? Odd.... But, since you have a leak, I would be sure to check the level in the reservoir before leaving. Don't want it to get too low and start sucking air. At that point you have no clutch action. As long as you keep it topped up, you should be fine till you get home.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all. So, I was searching for a circular reservoir, like what the brake fluid is kept in. Now I see. Duh... I don't have a 1998 manual. I'm going off a model year 2000, the only one I can seem to find. And they show a circular reservoir-only they don't show what it's attached to, so i was being an idiot looking everywhere BUT on top of the clutch lever-I was looking for a circular container....

So, it does seem low. REALLY hard to tell by looking through the bubble though. Is it bad to pop the lid off to take a look inside? Both the brake reservoir and the clutch one seem low, but again, super hard to tell. I 'think' I see fluid inside at the minimum mark but hard to know for sure if it's fluid, or an old mark from where fluid was.

I'm guessing, and ONLY guessing that it's okay to open the lid, since that is how you fill it. Or will the system then need to be bled to get the air out? It says to use dot 3+5 brake fluid. Same fluid for the brake and clutch lever? If so, can an idiot like myself add just a bit and be all set?

Really appreciate your help.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I would suggest that you try to find a 1998 ST2 manual, since the earliest available on Ducati's site is from MY2000.

From the MY2000 manual:

"Brake [sic] fluid level will increase as clutch plate friction
material wears down. Do not exceed specified level (3
mm/0.12 in. above minimum level) MIN."

(Granted, this is for the round-style tank)

Clutch fluid spec, per the manual is SHELL-Advance Brake DOT 4.

You can open the top without having to bleed the system. The only time you should have to bleed it, is if there is air from a leak or an open part of the circuit. The master cylinder pump closes the circuit, and you would only get air in if you pumped the clutch lever with the overflow tank empty.

Since you are having a leak, possibly at the slave cylinder, you might develop air bubbles in the circuit. You would start to notice finding neutral difficult and hard shifting, or loss of clutch function, because the pushrod would not fully extend to separate the clutch plates.

You should seriously consider the implications of a long trip (or a short one), where your clutch slave fails (or won't seal), leaving you without a working clutch, and have the leak investigated before you leave.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information. I popped the top off the clutch reservoir. There is fluid in there, it is a touch low, but only a bit. Shifting and finding neutral couldn't be easier. So I'm thinking no air in the lines. Going to swing by a shop tomorrow and see what they think. They aren't a ducati shop, but this is a pretty straight forward issue. Going to have to address the other area of this at a later date when i can drop it off at a duc dealer.

Looks like I would need about 1/2 of a shot glass worth of fluid at most.

Thanks for your advice.

Can't seem to find a 1998 manual. Would like one though....

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know it's hard to tell, but wondering if it would be more obvious one way or another if the level was up to the min mark.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Are you filling the tank with the handlebar turned all the way to the right?

The tank needs to be on-the-level before you can gauge the fluid level.

Incidentally, this is why Ducati changed to plastic see-through tanks.

You could inquire, when you go to the Ducati dealer about the clutch slave, how much they would ask to change you over to the round style tank. This assumes that your master cylinders have the mounting bracket holes. My MY1998 knowledge is severely limited.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The first shot was taken with the bars straight. The new shot is with the bars turned full right. Both times, bike is on the center stand.

Again, with nothing to compare too, not sure if this looks normal, low, etc.. Would it be extremely obvious if it were full? The brake reservoir seems to look the same. Could they both be low, or both just fine?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
You could always use a piece of metal as a dipstick to gauge the depth of the fluid, or try jiggling the bars a bit to see if you can see the fluid moving around the sight glass.

I can't tell from your picture where the level is currently.

Brake fluid is corrosive to paint, however, so remember to clean up well.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a little update.... First, those bubble windows on the 'coffin' style are useless. If your reservoir is full, it looks the same as if it's empty. My clutch reservoir was low, but not empty. Meaning no air in the lines. I filled it back up and can feel that it's a bit smoother, so I'm guessing I was nearing seriously low levels.

Just ordered a new cylinder from yoyodyne, hopefully it will solve my problem.

I'll update in a week or so after my trip/it's installed.

Nothing like spending $200.00 while sipping your coffee...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts