Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently doing battle with the CV carbs on my wifes 1200 Bandit - and a proper PITA it's being too. :(

Anyway - this is more about a tip I spotted on testing CV carbs - simply stick a vacuum cleaner nozzle (I used duct tape wrapped around the end to bulk it up enough to fit snugly) into the front of the carb. Twisting the throttle butterflies, then sees the slides opening (if it's all working correctly). The better the vacuum, the more they'll open. Great for checking all the vacuum lines are open (or closed) and there's no leaks.

Reactions: Stick and duc96cr

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
You are the king of innovation Steve, another great tip.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Some years ago, I made a common manifold to mount a racked pair of Mikunis so that I could get the throttles sync'd as close as possible before mounting on the engine. It worked a treat. However, I had also done the valves to 'perfection'. If you valves are 'off' enough, my trick doesn't really gain you anything.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are the king of innovation Steve, another great tip.
Lol - thanks, but not my idea. Spotted it on another forum (posted up by a mechanic), when looking for clues as to what was going wrong with the Bandit carbs, and thought "Bloody brilliant! I must try that one." And then thought it would be good to post it up here, given the number of people who have had CV carb problems.

Still haven't got the damn carbs sorted yet though. :mad: Only had them out of the bike about 6 times so far - but I think I'm on the right track now - each of the last 3 times out on it has been an improvement on the previous one.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I went through the same thing. I got really good at pulling the battery/ airbox.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I'm currently doing battle with the CV carbs on my wifes 1200 Bandit - and a proper PITA it's being too. :(

Anyway - this is more about a tip I spotted on testing CV carbs - simply stick a vacuum cleaner nozzle (I used duct tape wrapped around the end to bulk it up enough to fit snugly) into the front of the carb. Twisting the throttle butterflies, then sees the slides opening (if it's all working correctly). The better the vacuum, the more they'll open. Great for checking all the vacuum lines are open (or closed) and there's no leaks.
I think you should cross-post this in the H.O.Wisdom area... Or Tech Forrum (or BOTH??)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts