Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for new motorcycle magazine to subscribe. I got a bit upset with Cycleworld in their last years Superbike Shootout. Still can't understand how ZX-10 won. Well actully I can... all horse power.

Anyway, I was just wondering what are some of the stuff members here like reading. Okay, Penthouse and Playboy does not count, and we already mentioned Cycle World.

Much Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
FWIW, I long ago ditched mags that proclaim "shootouts" and "winners" of of "head to head" comparisons of street bikes on the track. It's just advertising and propaganda junk. Not because a Duc didn't "win." Go to Borders and pick up RIDE, TWO, or BIKE. Even PERFORMANCE BIKE and SUPERBIKE are better than most of the U.S. junk. All Brit bike mags, btw.

bruce19

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
most of the US mags seem to be just recounting what the manufacturers give them to spit out to a majority degree....with a little hint of opinion here and there....I much more appreciate the UK mags...I persoanlly subscribe to T.W.O. and Superbike....and occasionally pick up BIKE....I keep my subscription to MotorCyclist mostly because it is cheap and they have some good reviews on gear and tech bits here and there....

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
zooom said:
BIKE....I keep my subscription to MotorCyclist mostly because it is cheap and they have some good reviews on gear and tech bits here and there....
I gave up on Motorcyclist when Mitch Boehm decided we needed his political philosophies thrown into a moto mag.

bruce19

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just got a subscription to "Robb Report MotorCycling". I got tired of paying full newsstand price. I think it's pretty good and it's the only publication my local Duc dealer sells.

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
Gotta go with any of the Brit bike mags mentioned, Superbike and Performance Bikes (though the new look mag reminds me of Bike from the mid-nineties). You can get Superbike online by the way...an ezine. Some Aussie ones like Australian Motorcycle News and Rapid.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Road Racing World & motorcycle technology, and Racer magazine [another excellent UK mag]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wow, 100 bucks for 1st class and 70 for 2nd class mail for T.W.O. Oh I hope this is worth it. Brits don't mess around with toy bikes either 1/08 scale models hehe. Pretty cool gotta get me few of those.

Thanks

Keith

·
Registered
184 Posts
Road racing world, and road racer x are the best ive seen so far only cause i like racing more then anything else, and you dont get stupid reviews of harleys and that shit.

For the people that like harleys i dont mean to offend you

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Powercruise said:
Wow, 100 bucks for 1st class and 70 for 2nd class mail for T.W.O. Oh I hope this is worth it. Brits don't mess around with toy bikes either 1/08 scale models hehe. Pretty cool gotta get me few of those.

Thanks

Keith
I paid for 1stclass and it is worth it!

·
Registered
407 Posts
For a few years I subscribed to 3 Brit mags: Ride, Performance Bikes and Bike. Once in a while I'ld pick up a Superbike mag as well.

The only US mag I have ever subscribed to is RRW and I've been a subscriber for many years. I don't see the need to read any other cycle mag.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only mags I have ever read are, Cycle World, Sportrider, and Motorcyclist. Guess one of the reasons why I had stayed so long with CW is that, I like Don Canet their ace test pilot...he seems to tell it like it is, and for the first few pages written by Peter Egan and Kevin Camerson. But I did get fad up with ZX-10 vs. GSXR and superbike shootouts.

Which one is RRW? I don't think I heard of them.

Keith

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quarterly: Moto-Euro

At either Borders or Barns and Noble I found a quarterly magazine devoted to European Bikes. It's a US magazine who's publisher and most authors are located in the Phoenix, Arizona area.

www.moto-euro.com

It isn't cheap at $50 per year for four issues. But it isn't a magazine you're going to throw away after reading it either.

I also found back copies at Renaissance Motors, the local almost all Italian bikes dealer here in Tucson, where I picked up a few old issues. They sell what ever issues they have left over at 1/2 price.

The magazine is a technically oriented. For instance, I have in front of me the Fall 2005 issue. In it is an article about taking a MV Agusta F4 750 to the next level--the work being done by none other that Eraldo Ferracci. Not too bad a piece of work. Eraldo who? You've heard of Fast by Ferracci? That's the guy.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Powercruise said:

Thanks

Keith
Ask for a subscription as a gift or wait around until you see it cheeper.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I do like most of the Brit mags, but find it hard to stomach to cost ($70+ Brit vs <$20 for US) so I let my Superbike subscription end. Plus, while I like some of the included girlie pics (sorry Brits, but the quality of birds from England is often a bit weak), I have to say it makes it a bit harder to keep them around the house when uptight relatives and kids are over (especially the topless centerfolds and sex chat ad pages). So, my current favorite is Road Racer X. If you are into motorcycle road racing, it is a must have. You get SOOOO much more insight into the riders and the racing scene than is possible anywhere else. Think of how some people really make connections with the players by watching NFL pregame shows and listening to sports radio when comared to those who only watch the play-by-play game. Same with RRX. It's what really gives you the opportunity to form opinions about which riders you like, which you hate, why so-and-so is riding for Brand XYZ, etc. It's the only one of the US bike mags that I get really happy about finding in my mailbox.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes I agree the Brit rags are top notch. A bit expensive to subscribe to so I occasionally stop in at the local Borders & hang out for an hour or so just to brouse thru the interesting articles & once in a while throw down the $8 or so & bring it home.

I do subscribe to Motorcycle Consumer News,a B & W, no advertising publication, & Rider ( I like the purdy pictures), and an on-line magazine, Motorcycle Online.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts