Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, 3rd day now with the T3s and of course, questions are presenting themselves.

Turn signal indicators/Side bags. I noted that with the bags on unless you're DIRECTLY behind the bike you will not see the turn indicators. Then I noted the turn indicators are velcro'ed on. Is there some manner in which to move the turn indicators to the outside or back of the side bags that I'm missing? I'd really like the CARS behind me know when I'm preparing to make a lane change or turn.

iPhone mount? What seems to be the favorite mount for an iPhone?

And with the phone thing, do you go bluetooth integrated helmet or add-on kit? If kit, suggestions?

Windshield - I've been told there is a taller windshield available. Sources? Comments? Suggestions?

Clothing: I see there is a TON of options in terms of clothing/protection. And sure, in a perfect world we all wear all of it all the time but realistically, riding the bike as everyday transportation what are people typically wearing? Yeah I understand the helmet is first (CA is a helmet state anyway) and I picked up a pr of gloves from CycleGear yesterday, but what what about jackets? Leather vs Mesh/textile? Seems like CE2 level protection is the way to go. Other thoughts?

I think that's it for the moment but I can almost guarantee there will be more ?'s coming.

Thx guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
MY turn signals are on stalks connected to the panier fromes. Commonly called " Antlers" for reasons that will be obvious if you ever see the stock setup. I didn't even see the signals on the rear of you bike while posting pics. Velcro is not a standard way to fasten them.
Like this but with only 2 lights not 4.

Dont know about Iphone mounts. I haven't explored that yet myself.
I use a sena headset. Mine is a SMH5 but you can go way better then that. My wife and I like to chat. Phone calls are great.
Windscreen, dunno.
Clothes I use a Shoei Neo Tec helmet with SMH5 sena headset.
Warm weather is a perforated leather jacket and I WANT perforated riding pants but don't have them yet.
Hot weather is a VERY perforated lightweight textile jacket, and whatever pants I am wearing that day. (I commute to work)
Cold and VERY cold, is heavy armored textile riding coat and armored riding pants over my work pants.

I recommend the best gear you can afford. Cycle gear also sells house brands (sedici, bilt, etc) that are typically inexpensive and lower quality, BUT certain pieces may work fine for you. I found some leather armored perforated short gloves by sedici that I love.
May the spending begin!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I don't use a phone so can't comment, nor do I own an ST.

As far as clothing, it's a personal choice. You need to find the place on the comfort/protection spectrum you can live with. I see (mainly young male) riders wearing shorts, no shirt, flip-flops or Vans, but that won't be me.

For a lotta' years I was an ATGATT guy (all the gear all the time), at least I'd wear a motorcycle jacket with shoulder and elblow protection, gloves, and motorcycle boots along with full-face helmet. But I've relaxed a bit, mainly because in the summertime where I live it's 100 degrees out and I'm doing short rides on side roads. My commute to work is 7 minutes long. I always wear helmet and gloves, and with the odd exception long pants. When I ride on the highway I wear a motorcycle jacket and boots as well. When I go for a ride in the twisties I do the full monty, fully armored leather m/c pants that zip to my leather m/c jacket with back protector, etc. plus track boots.

I just ordered a pair of Kevlar jeans as well. The only non-dirt crash I've had was a low-speed front lockup tipover on gravel, and I will tell you that denim jeans offer very very little abrasion protection... I lost some skin on my knee and hip, and would've lost a lot more if I was on asphalt.

I have both leather and textile jackets. Leather is still the best as far as protection goes, that's why it's required for track racers... there's no substituted for good old thick cowhide.

You will probably not find a single jacket that will work in all seasons, at least I haven't. I have both perforated and non-perf jackets and I've been meaning to pickup some mesh for summertime duty. In the cooler weather I have a textile jacket with full armor and a nice zip-out (WARM) liner. In my experience the textile jackets seem warmer than any insulated leather jacket I've tried, plus they are a helluva lot cheaper.

If you're on a budget I'd start with a good textile coat with zippered vents that open up for hot days and a zip-out liner for cooler weather. Get a decent pair of boots that protect your ankles (they don't need to cost a fortune - I got my favorite pair used and I've been wearing them for 10+ years), and spend what you need to spend to get a good-fitting Snell-rated helmet.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,209 Posts
Jim, is that an internet photo you found? That is one weird turn signal setup. :confused: The outer lights (longer stem) are supposed to be used when you have the antlers installed. The innner ones (short stalk) are used when you don't have the antlers on. Guess the owner didn't realize that. I wonder what that cylinder thing is standing up under the tail case.

OD&B, did you get both sets of tail lights with your purchase?

I use the Ram Mount X-Grip like many others. My base plate is no longer available, though. Got it from the old Ducati Designs.

I would either make my own base that attaches to the same posts around the key cylinder or buy a Ram Mount. They make a lot of options.

Have fun with the gear selection. I don't preach. To each their own, but I do wear full coverage every time I go out. I have both leathers and an Aerostich 2-pc.

Oh, and I use a Sena 20S Evo for bluetooth to the phone. Sena seems to be the most popular and if you're going to pair with others while riding, get what everyone else is using. It makes things much easier.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JimGregory: Thx for the photo. You made me look at it in a different way and well as do some online research. I learned mine was modified for some reason unclear to me. Here's what taillight look like. https://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=926819&thumb=1

For a temp solution I think I can velcro the lights to the rear of the side bags and be OK in the short term. But I need to find/order what the original parts were and get things back to OE.

dspear99ca: Thx for your input. After spending another 90 minutes at CycleGear this morning I think I have a handle on what will work for me. I currently have an good HJC SA helmet but I'm seeing the MA helmets have some advantages for riding. Found a Shoei that I like and am headed in that direction. For a jacket I'm tore between the looks of leather (which I like/prefer) and textile mesh which I'm think'in' would be a bit cooler. Maybe I end up with both! (Yep another new hobby in which to pour $$ into) Additionally I found a pr of Alpine Stars boots I like and willl probably add a pr of kevlar jeans for rides more than the daily grind. After these acquisitions we'll wait and see where it goes. Don't want to wear all of it all the time but good protect could save one's a_s some day. I get that.

Yorik: so glad you posted a pic of the Ram mount. The guy at CycleGear showed me one yesterday and I was wondering if it held the phone solidly/safely. It appears that it does. Not sure about the base plate thing but I guess I learn soon.

CycleGear guy (too bad he's not on commission) also convinces me to go with the Sena 30K. I'll be grabbing that with the Shoei helmet soon.

Thx guys. Not out to play with Velcro.

Michael

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,366 Posts
Turn signal indicators/Side bags. I noted that with the bags on unless you're DIRECTLY behind the bike you will not see the turn indicators. Then I noted the turn indicators are velcro'ed on. Is there some manner in which to move the turn indicators to the outside or back of the side bags that I'm missing? I'd really like the CARS behind me know when I'm preparing to make a lane change or turn.

You can revert back to stock. Or get creative. I'm running stock (since I'm not that creative). :wink2:

iPhone mount? What seems to be the favorite mount for an iPhone?

I have a RAM mount that (like Yorik's). Works great.

And with the phone thing, do you go bluetooth integrated helmet or add-on kit? If kit, suggestions?

I use the phone for GPS with verbal directions (I use the app: Copilot) that connects through my Sena SMH10 (been using that system for 5 or so years now. Never had a problem.)

Windshield - I've been told there is a taller windshield available. Sources? Comments? Suggestions?

Zero gravity has a taller shield. There are also "add-on's" such as the Laminar Lip. I had the Laminar Lip...I really didn't see a tremendous change. But, I'm 6' tall and have long arms...my head is definitely in the air stream. :smile2:

Clothing: I see there is a TON of options in terms of clothing/protection. And sure, in a perfect world we all wear all of it all the time but realistically, riding the bike as everyday transportation what are people typically wearing? Yeah I understand the helmet is first (CA is a helmet state anyway) and I picked up a pr of gloves from CycleGear yesterday, but what what about jackets? Leather vs Mesh/textile? Seems like CE2 level protection is the way to go. Other thoughts?

For commuting, I use textile jacket and pants (RevIT) so I don't scare the coworkers with my leathers. I like the RevIT armor...it's that non-Newtonian fluid material...soft and pliable (comfortable) but becomes a solid when there's an impact. I use the leathers when I'm doing spirited riding. I guess the "ultimate" commuting outfit would be the Aerostitch one piece suit. @Yorik can tell you about his.

Welcome aboard the ST3 bandwagon!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jim, is that an internet photo you found? That is one weird turn signal setup. :confused:
Yep that's a photo actually from this site. I could NOT find a photo of a standard ST from the back.
I use ram mounts with that x mount holder for my Iphone on my other bikes. Just have not addressed it yet on the ST2. Nor have I addressed the need for power outlets.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Yep that's a photo actually from this site. I could NOT find a photo of a standard ST from the back.
I use ram mounts with that x mount holder for my Iphone on my other bikes. Just have not addressed it yet on the ST2. Nor have I addressed the need for power outlets.
Here's my stock ST# with the panniers removed from the frames.

David

Attachments

·
10,209 Posts
It's not from the back, but it is with the short-stalk turn signals and the cans in the upper position.

Here's sorta from the back with the long-stalk indicators. They fill up the space carved out of the panniers. You can see that the short-stalk signals would interfere with mounting the bags.

·
Registered
164 Posts
For a different windshield option, check out a recent listing in the classifieds.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's my stock ST# with the panniers removed from the frames.

David
I was not aware the stalks stuck out so far and/or were attached to the pannier mounts. Interesting. Some food for thought. Here's what I was able to find online as what I assumed was the stock configuration. Both those, at least to my eye, don't appear to be the wide pannier compatible mounting.

Michael

Attachments

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@kaysystems: I wasn't aware the stock pannier compatible configuration was so wide and/or were attached to the pannier mounts. Interesting. gives me some ideas... I found this online and assumed it was the OE configuration. It probably is but not for use with the panniers. Doesn't look wide enough.

Michael

Attachments

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Yoriuk: Here's my temp (velcro) solution. Turned out there was more than enough wire to velcro the current lights to the back of the bags in the indent where the stock stalk (say that fast 10 times) would be.

I have a couple of ideas in mind; one, to find the OE parts and install to OE spec, two, to take it a step further and put larger lights in the rear not attached to the bags and also wire the bags for additional rear and side with running lights. I was a bit surprised to see the turn signals are not also running, i.e. dual filament, lights. I'm a bit paranoid and figure additional lights certainly aren't going to hurt anything and will certainly make me feel a little better about my night visibility to others.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Yorik: Is that a taller aftermarket windshield? Does the top lip push more of the air up and over you? I''m 6'2" and I'm finding the amount of air/buffeting is far more than I anticipated due to all the reviews I read saying it was full coverage. I don't feel like it's full coverage at all. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

If it's aftermarket, is it the ZeroGravity? Doesn't look like the ZG Double bubble. Are there other brands of windshields?

Michael

P.S. Told you guy there would be more questions coming... :grin2:

·
Mr Leakered
8,860 Posts
MY turn signals are on stalks connected to the panier fromes. Commonly called " Antlers" for reasons that will be obvious if you ever see the stock setup. I didn't even see the signals on the rear of you bike while posting pics. Velcro is not a standard way to fasten them.
Like this but with only 2 lights not 4.
Jim, is that an internet photo you found? That is one weird turn signal setup. :confused: The outer lights (longer stem) are supposed to be used when you have the antlers installed. The innner ones (short stalk) are used when you don't have the antlers on. Guess the owner didn't realize that. I wonder what that cylinder thing is standing up under the tail case.

OD&B, did you get both sets of tail lights with your purchase?
I'm curious myself since that is my bike. Hahaha!

I've never had the lights set up like that. It looks shopped since both of the lens covers were mine. I've only used the stock mounts. I did have some unused shorties that I gave away.

I didn't realize how bad the originals had become (Clear Alternatives purchased from desmotimes). Friends told me that they couldn't see me signalling when leading in daylight. They looked fine in my garage. The fresh looking ones were bought on eBay from a Chinese seller since the originals were no longer available. The funny thing was that they came out of the Clear Alternative molds and have held up well for a couple years now.

The gold standard was the Desmo Designs LED boards for the tail and turns. I wish that I had the $$ for them when they were still available.

Have a good one.

·
10,209 Posts
@Yorik: Is that a taller aftermarket windshield? Does the top lip push more of the air up and over you?
It's the Ducati Performance piece. I'm the second owner of my bike and I don't have the original so I don't know how different it is in shape. I always thought it was just the same, but tinted. The original owner is a member here. I could send him a PM and ask, but that won't help you. I don't think you can get them anymore, but who knows?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I was not aware the stalks stuck out so far and/or were attached to the pannier mounts. Interesting. Some food for thought. Here's what I was able to find online as what I assumed was the stock configuration. Both those, at least to my eye, don't appear to be the wide pannier compatible mounting.

Michael
I believe the pannier mounter signals are the same as the frame mounted ones, but the wiring goes through the inside of the pannier brackets. I leave them on the brackets if I take them off, and install a set of frame mounted ones.

David

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
It's not from the back, but it is with the short-stalk turn signals and the cans in the upper position.

Here's sorta from the back with the long-stalk indicators. They fill up the space carved out of the panniers. You can see that the short-stalk signals would interfere with mounting the bags.

Slight hijack, I will NEVER get tired of looking at these pics. I have the same model year and color but somehow these photos capture the ST's beauty in a different way than I've seen mine. :)

I need to do the rear turn signal reroute and remove the racks like you have as I rarely use my panniers.

·
10,209 Posts
I believe the pannier mounter signals are the same as the frame mounted ones, but the wiring goes through the inside of the pannier brackets. I leave them on the brackets if I take them off, and install a set of frame mounted ones.

David
I just pulled out an old box full of stuff and you are correct (if I understand you). My belief that the stalks were of differing lengths is wrong. It's the wiring. I stand corrected!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts