Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am looking at getting a Ducati but I have a few questions. The bike i am looking at is an '06 749 dark with about 10k miles. According to the owner it has a Clean title, never dropped and pretty much stock.

1. How well do they do in the heat? I live in the desert and would be riding in temps ranging from 105-115 in the summer. The drive would be around 25 mins.

2. How expensive can the services be and how often? Can i do the basic oil changes and just take it in to a dealer for engine tune ups and such? Is it important for the dealer to be a Ducati one or can any dealer work on it? The closest Ducati dealer to me is about 2 hours away.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You will want to run a special coolant or additive to your coolant.

If want to try and get anyone pregnant you will have to stop riding during that time. Your sperm will get too hot regardless of where you live :-]

On the other hand it is good birth control?

General maintenance is easy enough and if you are mechanically inclined there are enough posts here to get you through about anything.

For anything that you don't feel comfortable with find a competent DUCATI mechanic.

BUY THE BIKE. If it runs right and is a good deal you will love it

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
+1 on getting a certified mechanic... I've seen plenty of valve-train carnage by motorcycle techs who SWORE UP AND DOWN they could work on a Duc just like the dealer could.... bad bad voodoo

·
Registered
424 Posts
The under-seat exhaust makes for toasty buns, no doubt. If you're going freeway riding you'll be fine, but I hope you don't do too much city time during the summer...

Services are definitely more $$$ than on other jap bikes. Timing belts need to be changed every 2 years or so (200$ belts plus service...) Valves need to be adjusted every...6K miles? Other than that, you can do pretty much everything yourself. Just keep it out of the rain ;)

Get the bike professionally looked at and then BUY IT!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Excessive heat under your seat will be more noticeable if you ride in stop and go traffic. IF its hot out, the more you stay moving, the more airflow you keep going through your radiator hence cooling the engine. IF the bike is at a standstill or very little airflow, you will start to see the temperature rise. IF the bike gets too hot, the radiator fan will kick in and start pushing hot air back towards your legs.

Aside from that, the ride is great!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Duc mechanic for sure for valve check and adjustment. You don't want to know how much it will cost you if you damage heads and valves. Don't try to save money by avoiding the belt changes either. They cost nothing when compared to replacing heads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Desert Ducati 748

I purchased my 1998 748 in Feb. of 2011 with many of the same concerns. It was purchased as second bike primarily as a track bike, but is used regularly as my fun commuter bike for work, an 80 mile round trip. Here in AZ summers can run in the upper one hundred and teens consistently and have never had any issues. In stop and go traffic it does get warm enough to trigger the cooling fan, but always stays in the normal range of temperature. Maintenance wise I have no problem performing all of it, including a valve adjustment and belt change within the first month of the adoption. Between this forum and the multitude of part vendors, there is a wealth of information and willingness to assist with every question I have come across. As long as you can tolerate the constant taunting to ride it every time you enter the garage, you won't be disappointed. It's a great bike! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've got an '04 749 Dark, love it! With that being said, after about a month (July being the WHOLE summer in Oregon), I had the pipes ceramic coated, and actually saw a temp drop of 15-20deg.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
There are also some good fan upgrades available through Desmotimes.com etc. You can add a higher capacity fan blade, and a switch that allows you to turn the fan on as soon as the bike is started thereby keeping the engine temps as low as possible...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts