Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few issues I want to address with my Monster asap before I need to be able to ride it daily (GF car broke down and it took two weeks to get the parts so I had to lend her my car).

I am posting this for advice from the more experienced guys on here...

First issue:

So i've been dealing with this issue for some time... I have done some research regarding this but I still can't identify the problem.

While riding (especially when I get on it at high speeds) my clutch lever loses resistance and goes limp... I have changed the fluid and bled the clutch master twice, which helps to some degree but the problem is worsening to the point where my bike is creeping and changing gears is now very difficult at low speeds as well as finding neutral is becoming a challenge. The hydraulic fluid turns black (which I understand is common) after 500 miles of riding.

I suspect the clutch slave is either faulty or extremely dirty and may be the cause... it is a yoyodyne (not sure what spec) but it was on the bike when I purchased it... I've read a few threads about re-building and the consensus seems to be that replacing it would be best. Can someone confirm this...

I will be upgrading my handlebars to clipons with SBK masters so I figured why not do the pads, hydraulic lines, and slave cylinder while I am at it... Should I expect to change any other parts that I may need to order (ie clutch push rod) etc?

Next issue:

Clutch. My clutch is getting louder and louder... No "honk" yet but signifciant chatter at low rpm it feels like it is slipping (or dragging not sure which one) so I guess it is time to pull the pack out and take a peek... I plan on cleaning and inspecting the plates for signs of wear... Is there a need to go beyond the plates? My feeling is it may require more than new plates...

I love the idea of a new clutch assembly but I can't justify the price... I would consider a gently used clutch but not particularly thrilled about the idea... Is there a middle of the road solution, or something cost effective that will guarantee a better riding experience without hurting my wallet?

(perhaps buying some of the parts used / re-using parts from the original clutch and some buying some new)

Again, please advise... Thanks everybody...

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Sounds like the clutch slave and plates are toast. As far rebuilding the slave, I know some you can and you can't. May just want to replace it.

As far as your actual clutch, how hammered is the basket? If its not totally roached just put some new plates in. They will probably wear out sooner but it will keep you going for now.

When I did my S2R I did replace basket and plates with Barnett and it wasn't tooooo painful. Give Jeff at monsterparts.com a call. He f**kin rocks!!!

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice

I am going to take the slave off and clean it as much as possible... I will inspect for major wear on the inside of the slave... refill and bleed like hell... ride, and see if anything changes... if not, I will be in touch with yoyodyne to see if there is a possibility for a warranty replacement...

As for the clutch, I guess that will be next on the list... I purchased the tools for the job today so hopefully upon inspection and cleaning I can learn a bit more about my problem.

Thanks for the response...

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On another note, my springs are not looking too hot... all rusty... How critical are these in the process of re-building my clutch?

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
On another note, my springs are not looking too hot... all rusty... How critical are these in the process of re-building my clutch?
I clean because they look like ass when I take em out. I guess anymore crap flinging around can't be good either. You running an open cover? If so you may want to get stainless springs. Seem to stay nicer.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i have the "vented" DP clutch cover with slots in it... I will go ahead and get the stainless springs too... Can't wait to tear into it and see how bad it is...

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Fixed.

New basket, plates, springs, bolts, pushrod tip, and throwout bearing. No more issues! To think I spent all that time dicking around with the M/C...

Thanks for the advice, I won't hesitate to ask in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts