Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Are the tabs on the middle section really necessary ? I'm assuming that with them removed I wouldn't have to remove top fairing first. I know LT sells supports and dzus fasteners that some threads thought were overkill.

2. Is there a place to purchase the padding on the inside of the plastic ? I"m getting my ST repainted and some was able to buy some NOS plastic, which didn't come with the padding.

BTW Just got my the word from my mechanic that my rockers all looked good (14000 Miles). New belts and valves adjusted. New fuel filter, chain and sprockets. Looks like I'm ready for some serious miles next spring. It's nice going into service thinking the worst and hearing the best.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Definitely remove the tabs for the hidden fasteners. After that, you will be able to pull the fairing in 5min. I had LT's fairing beackets on for a long time with just the old wellnuts. They are not needed and I recently ditched them. With just the tab mod, the access is so much better that I don't think it is worth messing with Dzus fasteners. Too expensive and fiddly for a small benefit.

Screw that foam padding. Mine was soaking up water in the rain adding a ton of weight to the bike. They make no difference in noise to my ears.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Definitely remove the tabs for the hidden fasteners. After that, you will be able to pull the fairing in 5min.
Oh this a interesting comment, unfortunately i don't know what you mean exactly. Could you get pictures of this to show us? I for one would highly appreciate it!

Kindest greatings.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
He's talking about cutting off the horizontal tabs that bolt just above the spark coils (but those bolts are"beneath" the rear-most part of the nose fairing). With those gone, there's no need to remove nose fairing.

I haven't done it, but it sounds like it makes sense.

Tony, no repercussions? No weird stress cracking on the upper 3 side screw holes?

Stick

Reactions: spikey1973

·
Registered
279 Posts
The tabs were removed on my ST2 when I bought it and it made life easier. I bought the LT brackets and Dzus fasteners for my ST4, but don't like the way it fits, with the left mid fairing not fitting quite as snug.

I will likely take the LT bracket off and go back to regular fasteners.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd be interested in a peek at the frame if you're moving it down the road. I just got an 01 ST4 and was thinking of going with the Dzus like on my ST2 unless there is a better alternative.
thx

·
Premium Member
572 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
He means stock like in this pick from my yellow ST4, very soon to be changed to Dzus because it shouldn't take 30 minutes worth of fiddling with fairings on/off to jump start a bike. See two holes and tabs with no well nuts, these get cut off completely while the holes with wellnuts still showing are replaced by Dzus.

versus Dzus connectors like on my ST2 that take 30 seconds on/30 seconds off. 20,000 miles without a problem.

Oh this a interesting comment, unfortunately i don't know what you mean exactly. Could you get pictures of this to show us? I for one would highly appreciate it!

Kindest greatings.

·
Registered
149 Posts
No they are not necessary. With them removed or replaced with Dzus, you don't have to remove the top fairing to get either side off.

1. Are the tabs on the middle section really necessary ? I'm assuming that with them removed I wouldn't have to remove top fairing first. I know LT sells supports and dzus fasteners that some threads thought were overkill.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
@fstntq

For the jump start issue (which i had plenty, due to a direct to the battery connected handle warmers, which i tend to forget when in a rush) i extended heavy duty power lines from the battery to under the saddle.

Actually i have a small power bank coming my way which you can charge automatically this way and when needed you can use this to jump start the bike (they say 10x, but i don't believe that. 2-3 times will be enough)

This way you will not need to take the fairing of at all.

not saying you shouldn't do this mod, actually i will do it myself to as soon as i get a new bike, but both seem good option even to combine in my opinion.

SynkTech Emergency Auto Car Jump Starter Kit w/12,000mAh 12V Ultra-bright LED Flash Light - White - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Kind greatings

Matt

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh agreed, but that was an example. I had starter issues this year, rebuilt major electrical cables, checking the coolant, changing plugs etc all involve removing a bunch of plastic. Also with Dzus no need for tools, handy when not fully equipped.

@fstntq

For the jump start issue (which i had plenty, due to a direct to the battery connected handle warmers, which i tend to forget when in a rush) i extended heavy duty power lines from the battery to under the saddle.

Actually i have a small power bank coming my way which you can charge automatically this way and when needed you can use this to jump start the bike (they say 10x, but i don't believe that. 2-3 times will be enough)

This way you will not need to take the fairing of at all.

not saying you shouldn't do this mod, actually i will do it myself to as soon as i get a new bike, but both seem good option even to combine in my opinion.

SynkTech Emergency Auto Car Jump Starter Kit w/12,000mAh 12V Ultra-bright LED Flash Light - White - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Kind greatings

Matt

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Access (or Lack of) to the battery was one of my main peeves with the ST. So much so, that I took it upon myself to modify the "air conveyer" just above the + post of the battery. This way, I can get a screwdriver on the terminal, or a booster cable, w/o having to remove the fairing.

Of course, all this prep work, and I never needed to use this new feature!!!

I think there are photos buried in here somewhere!

·
Registered
377 Posts
When I made the bike naked switched to a gel battery and put it under the seat (along with other stuff). It did occur to me that if I had kept the fairing it would have been worth doing that anyway, it wasn't too difficult.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts