Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I found myself in Atlanta BMW with my Father who has interest in a new R1200RT (rode their demo- exceptional bike for those looking for a sport touring ride).
Naturally, my eyes started to wander until they became fixated upon a bike that I once had 0 interest in...the HP2 Sport. Don't know if any of you have ever seen this bike up close, but it's MUCH more handsome in person than it appears in photos. I spent 15 minutes or so on it, and in that time found the build quality to be really impressive- good welds, fairing alignment, and premium components. I also enjoyed the bike's ergonomics- the cylinder heads surprisingly are not a concern for knees/shin's as I imagined they might be. The HP2's display is terrific- similar to the SB8K's, but much, much brighter and with progressive shift lights; all of which intuitively located in the instrument cluster.
One of the store employees offered up that he had several hours on one and that they make the perfect "jack of all trades" bike. Good for Sunday rides, track days, commuting, and even said he had several customers who ride them cross-country.

Does anyone here own one of these beauties? At $25k they're not cheap, but they appear to be a very well put together piece of machinery... and enough to make me at least think twice about the Tesi 3D purchase I have planned on the horizon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bmw Hp2

Hi
I have riden the BMW and think it is fantastic the performance was excellent handling brilliant once you are used to it, and the overall quality is as good as anybodies.
I used to own a Bimota SB8rs With a tuned engine (143 rear wheel hp) PVM magnessium wheels and fitted a AIM Pisa dash, similar to the BMW version. Great bike, but i took up racing a Bim KB1 in classic racing so it had to go. Currently still racing her but also have a Bim SB4 i am restoring plus a Mantra for sunday rides to the pub. Oh year plus my Paul Smart Ducati which is great fun.
If i had the cash i certainly would have the BMW.

Kind Regards

Carl

England

·
Registered
605 Posts
I own an HP2Sport. I have only three BMWs in my current collection although I have owned many over my 46 years of riding and collecting, a 66 R69S, an R90S in Daytona Orange and the HP2Sport. The bike, IMHO is not expensive at the 25K MSRP. They are hand assembled by two long time BMW craftsman in Berlin, the fit and finish rivals my latest Bimota, and they can be bought for a few dollars more than a mass produced high end 1198S. The metal work alone is worth it.

The power is surprising and the suspension is nigh on perfect. The brakes, which use a Magura master with the Brembo monoblocs up front are the absolute best combination of feel and power on ANY road bike. All in all, a true classic and the ultimate Boxer.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
dnovo said:
I have only three BMWs in my current collection, a 66 R69S, an R90S in Daytona Orange and the HP2Sport.
You have great taste in bikes, Mr. Dave, with 2 of my favorite BMW's in your stable.

My BMW collection pales in comparison: '82 R100S (currently a collection of parts, but will resurface as a cafe racer) and '95 R100R Classic (2x)

RonB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts