Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the low-mileage thread, completely happy with my 2014, figured I'd run it into the ground...

This afternoon it threw a fuel sensor error and the fuel and engine warning lights came on. I think "here comes sensor number 4". A few miles later, the warnings went off but the fuel gauge was going up. Let it sit for a couple of hours and all the errors cleared and the gauge was accurate. Last 1/4 mile to home, I get an engine error but no noticeable problem. Park it in the garage, let it sit, power it up and now I have a fuel sensor error and an engine error. If I'd got a DSS error it'd make sense, I changed the fork seals.

Fork this. I assume the only option is the overpriced dealer to get a diagnostic read out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had a similar bunch of errors occur and thought it was heat related - basically my whole instrument cluster went nuts flashing everything everywhere including hazard lights (which was a new one to me as I don’t have a hazard light switch). My headlight would also extinguish at random intervals requiring a reset using the high low switch. Also I had CAN ERROR on my dash.

It did eventually reset a day or so later and has not (yet) reoccurred.

My mechanic believes it’s quite common and a symptom of water/moisture in the harness connector and suggested disconnecting and spraying water displacing electrical spray in this plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did eventually reset a day or so later and has not (yet) reoccurred.

My mechanic believes it’s quite common and a symptom of water/moisture in the harness connector and suggested disconnecting and spraying water displacing electrical spray in this plug.
It does seem like a gremlin, if I cycle through the info display (ride mode, miles to empty, etc) then the errors seem to clear...

Reactions: Aaron Little

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does seem like a gremlin, if I cycle through the info display (ride mode, miles to empty, etc) then the errors seem to clear...
Back this morning so it's dealer time to get a diagnostic read out. FFS, the weather is finally nice here :frown2:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just a guess... I would take a close look at the white plug connector on starter relay. All the bike's juice comes through that connection from the battery. Many have seen the contacts burnt up and it causes all kinds of faults. Ducati has a fix workaround for that connector. It is a known issue.
Also check the charging voltage and tightness of the battery cables at the battery. Cheers
Stevo

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Your fuel gauge is wonky. It throws a check engine and blinking gauge. They go intermittent at first then eventually stay broken. I have a 2013 and I am about to order my 4th gauge. It is blinking and working intermittently now. I'll change it when I do my 30K service.

t_bare

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your fuel gauge is wonky. It throws a check engine and blinking gauge. They go intermittent at first then eventually stay broken. I have a 2013 and I am about to order my 4th gauge. It is blinking and working intermittently now. I'll change it when I do my 30K service.
That was the first symptom while riding, plus the display said "Errors - Fuel Sensor", then it cleared. Later I had "Errors - Fuel Sensor" and "Errors - Engine". Right now all it has is the check engine light plus "Errors - Engine", the fuel gauge seems normal. It starts up just fine and sounds completely normal, smells a tad rich.

It would be nice to be able to easily pull the error codes, like a trip to O'Reilly's or Auto Zone.

Reactions: BlueDuc$

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a guess... I would take a close look at the white plug connector on starter relay. All the bike's juice comes through that connection from the battery. Many have seen the contacts burnt up and it causes all kinds of faults. Ducati has a fix workaround for that connector. It is a known issue.
Also check the charging voltage and tightness of the battery cables at the battery. Cheers
Stevo
I'm not finding anything obvious visually on the loom, I rechecked those I had disconnected when I removed the fuel tank, plus the connector in the beak. Battery and connections are fine.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You could probably pull the error with MelcoDiag. My bike has, and is doing the same thing right now that my current sensor is flakey.

t_bare

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Damn, it died on me on the way to the dealer to get diagnostics pulled, fortunately I was still near work and got it into one of the garages.

Left work, check engine light on, bike loses power with throttle open but idles ok, almost like a fueling problem. I pulled over but no place to stash it, figured I'd see how far I could get; all the error lights and warnings disappear. At a 4-way stop it stalled so I turned it off in the junction (!). Managed to get it started again and limped to the garage trying to keep the rev's up and slipping the clutch like mad. After it rested for a bit I have fuel sensor and engine errors but idles ok. It's low on fuel so this evening I'm going to dump some fresh into it and consider moving it, or calling AAA tomorrow.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Damn, it died on me on the way to the dealer to get diagnostics pulled, fortunately I was still near work and got it into one of the garages.

Left work, check engine light on, bike loses power with throttle open but idles ok, almost like a fueling problem. I pulled over but no place to stash it, figured I'd see how far I could get; all the error lights and warnings disappear. At a 4-way stop it stalled so I turned it off in the junction (!). Managed to get it started again and limped to the garage trying to keep the rev's up and slipping the clutch like mad. After it rested for a bit I have fuel sensor and engine errors but idles ok. It's low on fuel so this evening I'm going to dump some fresh into it and consider moving it, or calling AAA tomorrow.
Just got it home, barely. As it warms up it starts misfiring, error lights disappear. Throttle open and it seems ok, everyone staring at me at the traffic lights with all the backfiring. Right at the top of my 45 degree hill it loses all power with the clutch engaged but continues to idle, it had to be pushed the rest of the way. Dash says temperature is 165F but the engine cases are very hot. Error lights are still off.

I'm interested in any suggestions as this appears to be more than the fuel sensor...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts