Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the process of installing a set of driving lights to the front of my ST3 and I purchased these nice lights that mount down by the front wheel. The mount bracket for each light attaches to the spot where the top screw is that holds the front fender/mud guard on. As I attempted to remove that screw from each side, I quickly realized that neither screw was going to come off without a fight. One side just turns and turns but does not come loose. The other side starts to come off but stops before the end and I can't get it removed. It looks like there is a small brass fitting on the back and maybe that needs to come off? Anyone ever removed this screw before and if so, how do you do it? I've attached a few photos of what I'm referring to. The one photo has the screw location. The other is a shot through the wheel to the brass fitting on the backside of the other screw. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
From the sounds of it the brass insert is spinning in the plastic. Is there any way of getting a pair of 90 degree needlenose pliers in behind the fender to hold the insert from turning? I`d also see if I can get some penetrating oil into the works to help free things up.

Ray

·
Registered
355 Posts
For whatever reason Ducati seem to be loctiting the front fender fixing screws, making them near impossible to remove without destroying the clamp. Once the nut starts spinning in the plastic strap I consider them junk and cut them off with a utility knife.

Parts list ID is 8000.70127 Hose Guide and Ducati Omaha lists them @$9.99 ea.

·
Registered
523 Posts
For whatever reason Ducati seem to be loctiting the front fender fixing screws, making them near impossible to remove without destroying the clamp. Once the nut starts spinning in the plastic strap I consider them junk and cut them off with a utility knife.

Parts list ID is 8000.70127 Hose Guide and Ducati Omaha lists them @$9.99 ea.
Yep..same thing happened with one on my '05 ST3.
Bill W.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it ....thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll try the needlenose pliers on the brass fitting first to see if that works but if not, I'll just cut those plastic straps off and order new ones. Thanks for the part no., Mr. Squidward!

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Would you not be better mounting the lights to the bottom of the stanchions thus avoiding the pounding they will receive from suspension travel ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts