Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This bike for me brings me back in time, to when I raced another bike. I think this montage shows why the Sport Classic in red was the only choice for me. We all have our reasons though amazing how Ducati is bringing many riders new and old into the fold with these bikes.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
nice collage there. :)

is that you in the classic leathers?

that red sport 1000 looks even better in person.

·
Registered
197 Posts
very cool man. :cool:

johnrg said:
That's me racing at Bridgehampton probably 1981. My old Perron leathers still hang in the closet ;-)

John

·
Registered
792 Posts
CB400F, right? The seat and tank look like a 400 but the motor could almost be a 550...

A great little bike, I had one many years ago and had to sell it (the Air Force decided I need to ply my trade overseas). I've had a vision in my head of a 400F that I'd like to build someday. Kind of a resto-retro-mod with blacked out everything except for a deep dark electric pearl blue frame.

Great picture.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes...a '75 400f with a Yoshima 492 kit, ported head, cam, carillo rods, lightened/balanced crank and bored out carbs, dresda swingarm, Yoshima pipe. Became a project bike that was to have a completely refabricated frame and swingarm to convert to a pure track bike. Unfortunately after two shops dropped the ball in mistakes and other issues I sold the engine and boxes of parts after about 20 years.

The engine was amazing with a 13,500 redline and would pull from stock 750's. I learned quickly how the frame and suspension just were not up to the task though and while an '82 GPz550 took it's place racing, the 400F was special. I had sold it once and within a year bought it back.

John

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
johnrg said:
.....the 400F was special......
:yeah: Amen to that, brother.
My first bike was a '78 CB400FII Rode her for 65K miles. We went down once and have many great memories. She was getting tired and being a student, I couldn't afford to hang on when I upgraded to a used R75/5. Wished I still had my good old 400.
Last Christmas, I replaced my '78 leathers (with the holes and scuffs from above mentioned mishap - see avatar) by newer, more protective ones. Can't part with them, though and still ride in them every now and then.
I know, I'm just a sentimental old .......
RonB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.