Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an offbeat question.

Been riding my MST for a couple of years and have 21,000 miles on it and I just noticed something that I would never have noticed if not for the following.

I have never been within earshot or eyesight of another Multistrada riding anywhere near me so that I could actually hear what it sounds like.

Yeah I know! But the sound I am hearing (and have been hearing for the last 21,000 miles) while riding and walking around it, is not the sound that I heard while seated at an outdoor coffee shop when a guy rode by me the other day (Williamstown, Mass: red two up).

Although it may be a given that more then a few members here already think I'm a bit nuts anyway, I've got something else to add to your ammo.

I didn't like the sound of my bike hearing it from a distance! Sounded like some kind of a cheap toy to me. I'm serious.

Is there any way that I can add something to the exhaust that does not lessen engine performance (which is absolutely phenomenal) and does not cost an arm and a leg that will turn the bike into sounding like I think it should in my dreams?

I absolutely love this expensive bike. But is that how it really sounds?

Sweet it ain't!

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Got an offbeat question.

Been riding my MST for a couple of years and have 21,000 miles on it and I just noticed something that I would never have noticed if not for the following.

I have never been within earshot or eyesight of another Multistrada riding anywhere near me so that I could actually hear what it sounds like.

Yeah I know! But the sound I am hearing (and have been hearing for the last 21,000 miles) while riding and walking around it, is not the sound that I heard while seated at an outdoor coffee shop when a guy rode by me the other day (Williamstown, Mass: red two up).

Although it may be a given that more then a few members here already think I'm a bit nuts anyway, I've got something else to add to your ammo.

I didn't like the sound of my bike hearing it from a distance! Sounded like some kind of a cheap toy to me. I'm serious.

Is there any way that I can add something to the exhaust that does not lessen engine performance (which is absolutely phenomenal) and does not cost an arm and a leg that will turn the bike into sounding like I think it should in my dreams?

I absolutely love this expensive bike. But is that how it really sounds?

Sweet it ain't!

Dan
Dan, as I recall yours has stock exhaust? Looking to wake up the sound a bit without spending an arm and a leg and I assume to like the look of the stock exhaust and prefer to keep it? Then....Cut the converter in half and remove the guts have it welded back togather....If it's too loud for you, build a DB killer to slip in the pipe and just keep drilling the holes larger until you reach the volume your comfortable with.
There are threads on doing it with photos too, just a few searches away, and the SF forum has a few threads with homemade DB killers too....It is easy, cheap, and effective. If that floats your boat and does what your after depends on your priorities.

·
7,733 Posts
It all depends of what you feel a great sound is. The 11* overlap may never emit the sound you're looking for. Check-out Youtube for videos that feature MTS1200's or even Diavels with aftermarket exhausts. The appeal in spending large for a full system or even a slip on would be for the weight savings and a few extra decibles, but that 11* overlap may just not give you a great sound. Be happy with a ton of power and extended service intervals. :) Not a bad trade off.

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
I also would like some more sound , NOT the headache inducing , ear ringing ....
Just some more sound ...
I would love to get rid of the boat anchor cat Huge and Ugly,
But I will put up with the low quality sound , Instead of Spending huge $2-3,000.oo for the exhaust and goodies that are needed to keep it reliable ,running proper, and smooth , But just too loud for my tastes...

I would spend that, but I Want/Need some sort of db killer that will keep it from being Too Loud, I don't need the attention the too loud draws, from neighbors or LEOs ...

The HYPER 2-1-2 termis with the db killers was a sweet sounding liveable sound ...I miss that...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Just do what I did. Keep the stock muffler and switch to a LV midpipe for the sound and weight savings.

BTW, I have to say that the Diavels do sound better with aftermarket exhaust for some reason. Don't they have the same motor? I wonder what it could be.

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
It all depends of what you feel a great sound is. The 11* overlap may never emit the sound you're looking for. Check-out Youtube for videos that feature MTS1200's or even Diavels with aftermarket exhausts. The appeal in spending large for a full system or even a slip on would be for the weight savings and a few extra decibles, but that 11* overlap may just not give you a great sound. Be happy with a ton of power and extended service intervals. :) Not a bad trade off.
+1 I've heard many stock and aftermarket exhausts on the 11deg bikes. Folks are flush with cash around here.

The sound isn't appealing no matter what it is blowing through. There's absolutely nothing like the bark of the SBKs, the thumping rumble of the 2v bikes, or growl of the other 4v motors.

Fact of life. Maybe drop in some SBK cams?

Have a good one.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
Dan, I'll agree with some of the others, but having read thru your posts, i would not go the route of a de-cat mid-pipe. they can bring other hassles and necessities, exacerbate the already lean fueling, and the possibility of a loss in horsepower. if louder is what you want, then go that route, or throw on a Termi slip-on.

see ya,

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
A goal would be to get rid of the boat anchor which is a muffler too...
I can live with the stock till I find a setup that I can like and really don't want to spend $2-3000.oo on an already great bike.
I sorta like the stock mufflers which are not really the main muffler?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies and help.

I did some video YouTube searches to see if I could find that "sound", I'd like.

The closest I could come to it was not on the Multi but on this bike, below.

This may be either not possible or cost me like $3000.

But I'd sorta like this sound coming from my Multi.

That is if it didn't change the engine performance at all!

Anyway.......I ride this bike for two years and really never knew what it sounded like until some guy rides by me at a coffee shop? Say what?

Dan

Ducati 696 with Termignoni exhaust - YouTube

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Hej DanF;

I went the MIVV mivv-pipe route and paid extra to get a GP shorty. Worked for me, but sounds much bigger and meaner with the dB (and not obnoxiously loud) than the clip you referred.

I'll have to go down 6 flights of stairs to make a clip, but I'm sure there's some in this forum.

G

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've never heard a great sounding Multi with any pipe on it. The Termi's make it louder, but IMO it still doesn't have a great rumble to it. Only so much you can do with this motor.

I do think the stock bike sounds like a sewing machine when you're just cruising and not really romping on it, but they liven up a bit when you give it the whip. I'll bet the bike you heard was just cruising along at low/moderate RPMs, right?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've never heard a great sounding Multi with any pipe on it. The Termi's make it louder, but IMO it still doesn't have a great rumble to it. Only so much you can do with this motor.

I do think the stock bike sounds like a sewing machine when you're just cruising and not really romping on it, but they liven up a bit when you give it the whip. I'll bet the bike you heard was just cruising along at low/moderate RPMs, right?
Pete

Yes it was going by at about five mph. You are probably right that I'll never hear any kind of rumble from this bike.

I'll settle for the fun I get from riding it and pretend it sounds OK.

Dan

·
Registered
805 Posts
Anyway.......I ride this bike for two years and really never knew what it sounded like until some guy rides by me at a coffee shop?
Well, you're not alone there Dan.
I had mine for nearly a year before I heard another Multi at full roar.
(Was at Eastern Ck at the time, and there was another feller there with a Multi fitted with the Termi).

As we were out on the track at different times, this was the first time I had the opportunity to just listen, to the approach sound, the passing sound, and the riding away sound.

I was pleased when a friend standing next to me said my bike sounded much the same ! (I've fitted the MIVV decat and Suono can and FatDuc's).

At the other end of the scale, last May, the Multistrada Expirience weekend !!
Wow ... 83 Multi's roaring up and down the Oxley highway.

A visual and aural delight !

Cheers,
Witto.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not that big a deal if you listen to music..

I too wish my Multi sounded a bit more "ballsy". I had a Hyper 1100s with a full Termi and yes .. it sounded awesome. I am not going to tamper with this exhaust system. It runs great and I listen to music 90 percent of the time and if the people that I am riding by can hear the bike.... then I am riding too slow :)

I just dont think its worth the hassle. It sounds good enough and its all about performance and this bike beats all bikes in that category..

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just had the LeoVince cat delete put on my '11. I used my stock slip on that I powder coated black slip-on back on and my Ducati dealer did a ECU re-flash and tuned it. When the Mechanic called me and told me it was ready, his words were.."this thing rips!" they had not done one like that before. He also said that he feels it runs better than the full Termi system for a fraction of the price. The sound is good, but not as deep as my Hyper with Zard collectors and the Termi undertail exhaust.
I just rode it up from southern California to MotoGP in Laguna yesterday, even with side boxes and a top box it definitely has more seat of the pants grunt. And the sound is better, just my two cents worth.

-KK

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I just had the LeoVince cat delete put on my '11. I used my stock slip on that I powder coated black slip-on back on and my Ducati dealer did a ECU re-flash and tuned it. When the Mechanic called me and told me it was ready, his words were.."this thing rips!" they had not done one like that before. He also said that he feels it runs better than the full Termi system for a fraction of the price. The sound is good, but not as deep as my Hyper with Zard collectors and the Termi undertail exhaust.
I just rode it up from southern California to MotoGP in Laguna yesterday, even with side boxes and a top box it definitely has more seat of the pants grunt. And the sound is better, just my two cents worth.

-KK
I have the exact same set up. How did your dealer tune the ecu? Dyno or just upload a stock map they had lying around?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and help.

I did some video YouTube searches to see if I could find that "sound", I'd like.

The closest I could come to it was not on the Multi but on this bike, below.

This may be either not possible or cost me like $3000.

But I'd sorta like this sound coming from my Multi.

That is if it didn't change the engine performance at all!

Anyway.......I ride this bike for two years and really never knew what it sounded like until some guy rides by me at a coffee shop? Say what?

Dan

Get the full Termignoni race exhaust system and take the baffle out. That is what I did on mine and not only does it let the roar of the big V-twin come through, you get more horse power, nice weight reduction, and a cooler running bike. Yes it is expensive but your bike will thank you for it :) Oh yes, ear plugs highly recommended if you take the baffle out. When a sport bike pulls up next to you, one flick of the throttle and they will be cowering :)

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
With the baffle in is it very loud, too loud ,or too muffled or OK??
Sound loudness is subjective...
Ear plugs are becoming a usual riding gear feature for me...
The weight reduction and cooler running bike along with the huge ugly heat sink underneath gone are big pluses...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts