Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me apologize in advance if this has been discussed before but I really couldn't think of a good key word to search.

Whenever it rains I will ride for say 20 minutes and then my 02 ST4S will start to act weird like its running out of gas.....power very low. If I let it sit overnight it will fire right up the next day but the second I try to rev it...it immediately cuts out. I'll fire it up again and it starts right up but this time it will rev up pretty high before it cuts out.

Really strange....any thoughts on what to check first.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This could be a few different things, but the first thing to check would be fuel.

Check the fuel pump, fuel filter and the small gauze filter also. Bear in mind, that most of the fuel gubbins is inside the tanks and so

This could be a fuel flow issue. Also, check the tank breather. If it cuts out on you, open the tank slowly, if it hisses as it draws air in, you could be getting a vacuum lock.

Check that much first.

A

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
When it's put away dry, does it startup without any issues? It only starts poorly when it's wet or been wet, does it eventually run better after it gets warmed up?

Sounds like an intermittent electrical fault, they're the most fun. Look for sensors or wire connections that are most exposed to water splash or spray when riding. When it's dry and running normally, take a spray bottle of water and soak a sensor and/or wire connection related to that sensor. Do one item at a time, go for a short ride to see if the fault occurs. If not, ride around till it drys off and try another item. It's going to be a trial and error method, so be patient.

Another alternative, wait till it rains and the fault occurs again. Spray some WD-40 on individual sensors or connections and see if that clears the problem.

A third option, move to Arizona or New Mexico ..... probably not what you wanted to hear ....

Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it's put away dry, does it startup without any issues? It only starts poorly when it's wet or been wet, does it eventually run better after it gets warmed up?

Sounds like an intermittent electrical fault, they're the most fun. Look for sensors or wire connections that are most exposed to water splash or spray when riding. When it's dry and running normally, take a spray bottle of water and soak a sensor and/or wire connection related to that sensor. Do one item at a time, go for a short ride to see if the fault occurs. If not, ride around till it drys off and try another item. It's going to be a trial and error method, so be patient.

Another alternative, wait till it rains and the fault occurs again. Spray some WD-40 on individual sensors or connections and see if that clears the problem.

A third option, move to Arizona or New Mexico ..... probably not what you wanted to hear ....

Good luck.
Thanks that's a good trouble shooting method....I did have issues with a blown fuse once and a couple of relays going bad so it very well could be an electrical short....grrrrrr....

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm guessing that you may have one of the new government socialized fuel pumps made by AC delcobama.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing that you may have one of the new government socialized fuel pumps made by AC delcobama.
Yes but at least it was free to me and only cost the taxpayers $3,000. Besides the constitution says that everyone has the right to fuelpump.

·
Registered
244 Posts
G'day...

With enough beers mate, I can diagnose anything!!!

·
Señor Member
8,232 Posts
As the saying goes, if you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem. Now I'll take that cold Pacifico, thank you very much.

"in God we trust"

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
BEER, did someone say beer, where, how many, when, are they cold?
Who wants one?

:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I should have been clearer...the beer is for anyone who can diagnose the problem CORRECTLY.:mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts