Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, I've been scoping several Ducs for the past several months, and I've finally decided, that despite my better judgement, my first duc will not be a new from the dealer purchase, but rather a used, older peice to get my feet wet on.

I've been looking at two different bikes. One is a 2000 748 Bip with 4200 miles a few mods, overall a generally nice bike.

The other one is a 1999 748 mono (which is what I really want). Had about 5,000 miles on it, full docs, ect.

For a used 748 in B+ or A- condition, what should be a fair market value? I don't want to get ripped, but I also don't mind paying for the perfect bike.

Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd glance over the values at Edmunds, KBB, and whatever other online value calculators you can find first to get an average idea of what the going rates are. Prices usually vary wildly based on the mileage and any service records that are available. I'd lean towards the bike with docs personally. Plus, I'm partial to monos. ;)

That said, make sure the belts have been changed recently due to the age of the '99. You wouldn't want it blowing up on your first canyon ride lol. Also if it hasn't been done recently, swap out the fluids: oil, coolant, brake, & clutch.

I'm pretty sure that '99 was when they switched to the 3-phase charging system on the superbikes, so that's a good thing.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
681 Posts
i have a '99 mono 748 and i paid 7k for it with 3300miles on it.

From what ive seen though, prices seem to vary greatly depending on what part of the country your in as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KBB states a retail of $6835, and NADA says $5710, so a pretty big difference between the two. So if I take the difference of the two, I should be expecting to pay about $6300. That sounds about fair to everyone? Being my first purchase, i just want to make sure with the experts...you guys. Other than the flaking rockers, is there anything else I should be aware of on a 99?

thanks so much for your help!

Kate

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just for intrests sake here in the UK this is my first Ducati, 2003 748s loads of carbon and 3300 miles on the clock. Bought it about a month a go for £5150. Which converted to dollars = about $9500 so Ducati's in the us are a bargain. Go buy.
Neil.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm thinking somewhere in the 6k-range would be reasonable for a bike with low mileage and papers.

Burned wires, bent rims, dying relays (no fuel pump noise when you click the run button), clutch slipping under heavy excelleration, and excessive sproket noise when you push the bike can all indicate some level of wear to components. Rockers seem to be the biggest problem but the only way to tell they are bad is to tear the bike apart unfortunately.

It's probably a good idea to have the bike inspected prior to purchase. I'm not sure if that is feasible though.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
anybody other than an duc mechanic has rocks for brains if they don't add approx $1000 for belts and full service on a 3 year old or older duc they purchase.mileage doesn't matter.the only thing that would change this is proper documents showing recent work.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
prices are seasonal also. turns out you want one in the costly season. what chaos said is true, set aside $1,000 for the possibility that will be the cost of imediate repairs.

as to prices, i watch 748 for fun. unless the bike has a carbon tank and/or carbon faring, all the carbon trim may add $500. i've seen low mile bone stock 97,98's go for more than a 2000 S with 10k miles.

i could get very methodical on the prices/year/mileage. but i'll leave it here, a broad generalization.

stock 748 (maybe a few mods) $5300-5800
748s 2000-2001 (ibid) $6100-6800
then there's the sp and sps's and R and the titanium finish- all depends

·
Registered
442 Posts
I bought a 748 and got ripped, engine blew up 2 hours later. What I've learned:

1. Don't buy a Ducati
2. Don't buy a Ducati

Seriously: Do not buy a 748 unless the seller has receipts that show that it is up to service from a respectible shop. If the 748 has > 6k miles, it better have had the 6k mile service performed. Acutally that is a good thing, because that is a good indicator that the flaking rocker arms issue is not present or has been taken care of.

I love the bike after spending 2 hours on it. But make sure you get a well cared for specimen.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
5300-5800 for a 748 is a bit low for a fair price. I would say expect to pay anywere from 6500-8000 for a great condition 748 with some mods. there are alot of great used ducs out there, since many are only ridden once and while. I paid 11,500 for my new 02 748 about 4 years ago, and I think now it would be worth around 7500 here in SoCal. The most important thing is who has owned the bike, what sort of rider/person they are, and how much are they into their duc. Any typical duc nut loves their bike and takes very good care of it.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
duc_748 said:
5300-5800 for a 748 is a bit low for a fair price. I would say expect to pay anywere from 6500-8000 for a great condition 748 with some mods. there are alot of great used ducs out there, since many are only ridden once and while.

you may be correct, but i'm calling for winter time prices. still unless i got some nice wheels and a good record, i wouldn't top out over $5800 for a 2000 on a Strada (one without mods). i guess i was being lazy and not writing up a full description vs. value.

but $8000, maybe for the titanium finish in showroom condition. or an 853 with goodies, or the choice modded 748 with those bloody 10-spoke marchesinis, and carbon tank.

the ducati of Austin sold an SPS several months ago, checked everything, bike was perfect, had a few thousand miles, and it went for $7,500, quickly

then there is that 0 mile R that keeps going on ebay for $9 or 10,000. Now that's worth the price.

oh well, just explaining how i get my numbers, but you are right on a good 748 strada with mods for somewhere around $6500. that's what they regularly sell for. but $5300 is for those winter 748s with higher miles and not exactly a great bike.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought my 1998 748 for ~$6500 last July from a dealer with 7600 miles and they did the 12k service on it before I picked it up. Private party, I would expect between 5.5k to 6.5k and I would expect adding about 500 to each of those from a dealer. I've also noticed that location plays a big part in pricing as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well there are a couple Mono's that I've had my eye on. The one isn't quite perfect, and doesn't have full docs. I think I could pick that one up for around $5500. There is another one that just came up on flea bay this morning that is in my local area. Its a 1998 Mono with 3700 miles on it that looks to be in impeccable condition, I'm not sure what they guy has the reserve set at, but it looks like a gorgeous bike. So I am going to talk to him, and see if maybe we can make a deal, although 1998 is a little older than I was hoping to get.

·
Registered
372 Posts
wow, you guys are getting good prices, here in AZ you can fine a 99-01 748 in ok-good condition for 7-8.5k. Found a salvage title bike for 5.8k but has no records, needless to say i did not buy that one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mattjw916 said:
HEY! Who you callin' old!? ;) I'd still lean towards the newer ones if possible since they have the better charging system.
haha, exactly! I've heard 99 was the year they updated the charging systems in them, so I was hoping to get a 99+....but for the right bike, I would be willing to take a 98!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I paid about $7k for my '97 with over 15K miles on the clock last year. That might have been a little bit high, but there were some contributing factors: I knew the guy selling had treated 'er well. Lots of upgrades on the bike. Rockers had all been taken care of.

Basically I'll say what's been said over and over again on this site: pay what the bike's worth to you. If $6300 is "average" according to KBB and NADA, maybe be willing to pay a bit more for any aftermarket stuff, low mileage, complete service records, and so on. And I tell you from experience: it won't take long after buying it for you to fall deeply enough in love with it to never question how much you spent. In fact, I'd wager that if you're anything like me you'll almost immediately be looking for new ways to spend more money on the thing. =)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts