Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 999s and I am considering the MV F4 1000R. I have never ridden one and I have been on twins for a while. I have had people tell me I probably would not like the I4 or the MV for that matter as it is "harder to ride." Most I suspect are talking about the difference in the power bands.

Anyone here ride both that could give me some feedback on what I could expect?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Fours typically have a much narrower powerband with torque relatively low at lower RPMs. The Ducati L-twins exhibit good torque in a broad range of RPMs.

You just need to learn to shift more often to keep the RPMs in the powerband.

Nothing bad, it is just an adjustment.

The MV F4 is a great, good looking bike. I doubt you will be disappointed, but it will be different.

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
Fours typically have a much narrower powerband with torque relatively low at lower RPMs. The Ducati L-twins exhibit good torque in a broad range of RPMs.

You just need to learn to shift more often to keep the RPMs in the powerband.

Nothing bad, it is just an adjustment.

The MV F4 is a great, good looking bike. I doubt you will be disappointed, but it will be different.

you clearly have not ridden a modern inline then

the new inline 4's make as much if not more torque then a 999

my R1 makes over 84 ft lbs and now at 10,ooo rpms either

my guess from what i have seen and read is that the MV will out power, out torque that 999 everywhere and you will be tickled pink to have nearly 30hp on top of that too

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
Of which the F4 1000 R is the best one yet--and better still when you consider it grew out of the F4 750 S that debuted in 1999. Since then, engineer Andrea Goggi has worked untold magic with the engine, to the point that the F4-R pumps out a claimed 174 horsepower at 11,900 rpm and 82 pound-feet of torque at 10,000 rpm.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
What exactly are you looking for in the bike? The f4-1000r is a good bike, but not perfect. Fuelling as delivered from the factory is a bit spotty and is vastly improved on the 312-r from what I hear. It can be fixed, but requires a change in the ecu. I am running a MV corse racing ECU and it has helped a lot with rideability. The MV is not an easy bike to ride fast, but it isn't unmanageable. It is very stable and the suspension is pretty good in stock form. You will run into issues though if you need to change the spring rate as there really aren't any alternatives available. Seems that the Marzocchi market is fairly small and not well supported. That said, they can be adjusted to work fairly well in stock trim so if you are fairly average in size I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you planned to race the thing. The bike is also known to run somewhat hot, so it can be uncomfortable sitting in traffic, so it is a terrible commuter. That being said, I have enjoyed the 9500 miles I have put on it so far and don't regret the purchase. I would probably do a few things differently next time (buy used instead of new), but would buy it again.

One thing you might consider right now is that the company itself is in a state of flux. With H-D purchasing them last year MV was supposed to get a capital infusion which was supposed to allow the production of new models. Then the market crashed...
The hot rumors right now are that an all new F4 will be released in 2010, although that has been going around for quite some time. There are a few other bikes on the horizon including a 600cc class entry rumored to be a 675cc triple. There is also supposed to be a new Brutale in both small and large displacement coming, presumable based on the triple engine and the new F4 engine. A supermotard (the husky concept bike) is supposed to be produced and badged as an MV, but we shall see.

If I where in your position, I would probably wait a couple of months for the F4-312rr to hit the shores and then look for a lightly used 312R.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Seems the MV has mixed reviews. I realize the best judge is to ride one but I thought I would get some feedback in the meantime. I have read about every review out there and it seems most are luke warm on the bike (no offense to MV owners just what I am reading). This is why I was looking for real world input from folks who are actually riding the bike.

Keep it coming.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Torque 11.9 kg·m (116.7 N·m; 86.1 ft·lbf) @ 8000 rpm (999)
V.

82 pound-feet of torque at 10,000 rpm (F4 1000 R)
You are helping make my point. The 999 has more torque and at lower revs. The 999 torque curve is also more flat. This is the primary reason an L-twin is an engine that is easier to manage.

I am not even vague stating that the F4 1000 R is underpowered. :D

It just makes its power differently. And is a great bike.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You hit the nail on the head about taking the MV for a test ride. Having owned both I can tell you they are very different. Not good vs. bad but different as others have said. The MV is certainly an eye catcher and a joy to ride. One other consideration is the cost of parts should you meet the pavement. MV fairings cost more than Ducati...especially if the MV is a limited edition. Good luck!

Old bike:

Current bike:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you prefer the 999? If so why?

You hit the nail on the head about taking the MV for a test ride. Having owned both I can tell you they are very different. Not good vs. bad but different as others have said. The MV is certainly an eye catcher and a joy to ride. One other consideration is the cost of parts should you meet the pavement. MV fairings cost more than Ducati...especially if the MV is a limited edition. Good luck!

Old bike:

Current bike:

·
Registered
120 Posts
The power band on the 999s is smoother than the SPR. The Brembo radial brakes are better than the Nissan's on the SPR. The 999s is a liter bike vs. the SPR is a 750. If you have to replace a fairing on the SPR the dealer has to call Italy to ask MV Agusta to break out the molds and make a set...very spendy. I have a slipper clutch on the 999s and did not want to modify the SPR from stock as it was one of 300 made. I loved the SPR because it was unique, fun to ride, sounded like an angry Ferrari, but I didn't think it was a good choice for track days which I enjoy. If I didn't have two kids in college I would have kept the SPR. It was fun to own such a marvelous machine but I'm really enjoying the 999s.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think you'll get a kick out of the MV. It delivers a thrilling ride just like the Ducati Superbike. Both bikes are overkill for most mortals astride them so have this in the back of the mind while looking at specs. Specific to the MV, it is something to behold wherever it is parked, and from the saddle it delivers a rush like few other bikes do. The roar is intoxicating, as is the decel snarl, and when engine speed coupled with wheel speed head to higher grounds, it has few peers.

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
V.

You are helping make my point. The 999 has more torque and at lower revs. The 999 torque curve is also more flat. This is the primary reason an L-twin is an engine that is easier to manage.

I am not even vague stating that the F4 1000 R is underpowered. :D

It just makes its power differently. And is a great bike.
like i said, you clealy have not ridden a modern inline 4 then. i have ridden both and can tell you my 2004 CBR1000rr made more torque lower then my RC51 for example. my R1 makes tons of torque, it is not the 916 vs a 750. you see the peak torque of the MV is at 10k, but it revs to what LMAO the 999 is at 8krpms but it tops at what? 10k rpms

i would bet there is not ONE place in the rev range the 999 is making more torque then the MV, not one, and the MV has 30hp and 3000 rpms more, nuff said

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts

Old bike:

Current bike:
you are now compaing a 750 limited version against a 999?

of couse the bodywork costs more and you lost 250cc's

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
hi all,

I 've been away for some time now.

Some of you know that I sold my F4-1000R to buy a 1098S.

I now have 5200km on the 1098S, so I can compaire the bikes now.

First of all I want to say that I always loved the design of the F4. Even before I had my license, I fell in love with the F4-750. The design is simply amazing!! Even now, 10 years old, it can still fit in between current bikes.
So here we go:

The used materials don't give much difference. There is no difference in riding "feel" between the ohlins fork and rear shock on my 1098S and the Marzocchi and Sachs from my F4-1000R. Both bikes are extremely stable under high speeds. Now that I finally mounted a 190/55 (wich is the standard tire for the 1098S, as it is for the F4-1000R) i must say that it steers lighter then my MV. A difference in weight (that untill I mounted the 190/55) I only felt when I was riding slow or parking the bike. The wheels are completely the same.

Overall finish of the MV is better. The detailed finish of the mirrors, paintwork, etc... it 's just better then on the 1098S. As everyone over here knows, the fairings from the F4 come of in 10 sec. The ones on the 1098S are bolted on with 666 lil screws...

Brakes... of the 1098S are better! Better? Yes, the BITE. First couple of hundred km you HAVE to get used to them. Once used to them, stopping power is amazing. When I owned the F4, I couldn't imagine how any brakes could be better then the ones on the F4, but they can!

So how is the power output compaired to the F4?

The 1098 (1098 and 1098S have identical engines) has a lot of torque! Power comes out rough and starting at 4000RPm it feels like an animal. Contrary to other twins that I testrode, the 1098 pulls untill the rev limiter kicks in at 10700Rpm. So it does have that endrush feeling like on a 4 cyl, but on a 4 cyl the feeling of the endrush is more intense because of the increasing engine sound, were the twin allready barks from idle.

Because of the torque and I guess it's weight, the 1098 lifts it's nose comming out of corners, when you wack that throttle open. so really spectacular experience!

top speed of the F4 is higher! the 1098S hits 286km/u (on GPS) and that is what most jap 4 cyl sportsbikes hit on a GPS. It does hit it's rev limiter in 6th. So when you change sprockets, top speed could go up, but it would accelerate slower.

So what is the best bike? hard to tell. They are different!

The MV has the best looks (but that's a personal opinion) and the best overall finish. But the 1098S is also spectacular to ride at low speeds, you don't need the endrush to have fun due to the torque.

I had a lot of warranty issues with my F4-1000R and its fuel consumption was a nightmare compaired to my 1098S.
I will always like an F4 and I am glad I owned a F4-1000R, but I don't mis it. I like my 1098S and (like the MV) it keeps me in the garage for hours, just looking at it.

I hope you liked my 1098S review. I tried to be honeoust.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
. . . i would bet there is not ONE place in the rev range the 999 is making more torque then the MV, not one, . . .
:confused:

Your own posted numbers indicate that the 999 has a max torque that is 4 lb/ft more. That is, the 999 has 5% greater max torque.

Moreoever, the 999 produces its max torque at 8,000 RPM; the MV, at 10,000 RPM. That is, it takes longer for the MV to reach its maximum pull.

The 999's flatter torque curve also provides a different (not better) riding experience. The 999 exhibits a more sustained pull while the MV comes on cam at higher RPMs with a delicious rush.

Each is characteristic of their engine types. Both are great fun.

This is not a criticism of the MV nor an invalidation of your ownership experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts