Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I was looking into fitting a PC3 to my 2006 999S to try and clean up the running a bit... heard great things about them.. However have drawn a blank on trying to find one for an 06. Lots of shops offer them for 999 up to 2005 but no 06..... anyone have any idea why.?

·
Registered
857 Posts
ummm... its the same for 2005 and 2006. Infact its the same for all years xx9 bikes. The default map is different for 03-04 vs. 05-06. and 749 vs. 999. You can upload watever map you want once you get it, to play around. Get the USB (not for streets warning on the box) instead of Ex.

·
Registered
120 Posts
powercommander.com shows the same PCIII for the 2006 as for the 2005 999. They don't distinguish the "S" or "R" model from the base model.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have been on half a dozen sites .. will try the Powercommander site... have you fitted one..? Is it worth the effort...? Reason I ask is I hade my bike on a dyno and it showed 128hp which I was told was typical.. but fellow siad it could use some clean up between 2000 and 5000 rpm as it was a bit rich.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Have been on half a dozen sites .. will try the Powercommander site... have you fitted one..? Is it worth the effort...? Reason I ask is I hade my bike on a dyno and it showed 128hp which I was told was typical.. but fellow siad it could use some clean up between 2000 and 5000 rpm as it was a bit rich.
If you're going to use PC3 to custom tune it, as opposed to some standard pc3 maps, you could buy any 999 PC3. I have PC3 on my 749, one of the best upgrades for the price IMO.

Edit: You can hook-up PC3 by yourself. 15min job. If you don't like the standard pc3 map, you could get it tuned at a dyno.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
You SHOULD get it tuned on a dyno, especially if you are not at sea level and if you have any non-stock induction or exhaust bits on it. The OEM A/F map is somewhat lean at the bottom for emissions reasons, and I suspect that this is a big contributor to the xx9's stalling reputation. It's also a little fat through the midrange. Also, each bike is a little unique and there is nothing that will guarantee the "right" map for your bike than a dyno and a skilled tuner.

My experience to date is that a good dyno tune can get some extra HP (although usually not much by itself), can flatten the torque curve (which is the REAL perceptible difference IMHO), and can possibly raise mileage somewhat (if you can keep your fist out of the now more responsive throttle).

Be aware that A/F mapping changes are the last order of the day in the tuning sequence.
The first is valve clearances....... which, if out of spec will ruin or trivialize every other effort you make. (a check of my '05 999s at 10k miles revealed 2 closers at over 0.010", and none at the 0.005 ideal)
The second is TB sync'ing and TBS setting.
The third is idle mixture adjustment.
Then you can mess with the A/F map and see decent results.

as usual, YMMV

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks BrianG very sound advice... I am just a few miles short of my 6,000 mile service so doing the PC3 at the same time seemed to make sense. I am at seal level (Santa Barbara, CA ) so I hope tuning should be straight forward. We have a shop in town with a Dyno that will do a custom map but they are all about Jap bikes.. a bit nervous about letting them loose on the Duc,... but a maps a map right...! Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Thanks BrianG very sound advice... I am just a few miles short of my 6,000 mile service so doing the PC3 at the same time seemed to make sense. I am at seal level (Santa Barbara, CA ) so I hope tuning should be straight forward. We have a shop in town with a Dyno that will do a custom map but they are all about Jap bikes.. a bit nervous about letting them loose on the Duc,... but a maps a map right...! Thanks again guys.
Pretty much... and a PC III is a PC III. If they are experts with the PC III the marque shouldn't make much difference. They just diddle the PC III, nothing on the bike.

Just be sure to heed Nibbler's advice. Don't get the PC III usb Ex, get the PC III usb (no Ex)

I hate you guys in Cali!

It was -40 F here yesterday!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I really appreciate the input. Being from gray rainy England I also hate us CA folk.....
I have found Kneedraggers .com sell the PC3 for $265 This is the odd thing.. they only offer it for 999's through 2005. Well since your advice I looked at the PC3 site and got the part number for the 2006 PC3 I then asked Kneedraggers what part number they are selling for the up to 2005 bikes... guess what... just like you said its the same one....
Thanks a bunch guys, mystery solved.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Newbie - First Post!

Hi there,

I'm new here and I'm thinking of getting a Power Commander for my 06 999s.

I'd like to get the one which you recommend but to be sure, could you let me know the part number of the one you ordered?

Additionally, looking at the powercommander site I can see something called a shifter, presumably I don't need that? Here's the link with the list:

http://www.dynojet.co.uk/powercommander/power-commander-prices.php

Probably I'll order it from the US for cost reasons but just wondering.

Thanks for any help.

David

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Hi there,

I'm new here and I'm thinking of getting a Power Commander for my 06 999s.

I'd like to get the one which you recommend but to be sure, could you let me know the part number of the one you ordered?

Additionally, looking at the powercommander site I can see something called a shifter, presumably I don't need that? Here's the link with the list:

http://www.dynojet.co.uk/powercommander/power-commander-prices.php

Probably I'll order it from the US for cost reasons but just wondering.

Thanks for any help.

David
When you order it specify the USB version and NOT the Ex version. They'll tell you that the usb version is for "off-road" or "race only", but just smile and nod.

The Ex version is locked out of the lowest 3000 rpm, which is where all the idle quality issues reside.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
What is the deal with them making the ex version anyway.
I was able to obtain the usb (non ex version) from a 749r and it fit and works great on my 06 999 base.
I had a full custom exhaust from the heads back and am running the 2003-2004 Ducati 999
Leo Vinci full exhaust (equal length - 57mm)
Stock air filter
Advanced Map
It got rid of some of the off idle throttle issues I had.
Cleaned up the mid range and richened it up a bit.
I need to put it on the dyno to clean it up some more.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
The Ex version of all PC III units is CARB approved.

Apparently Calif. represents something of a market..............

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
California and its lousy emmision laws.
I'm sure that not being able to tune a bike below 4k rpm's is making a large difference in "Global warming".
:abduct:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts