Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at these two which I can get for about the same price.

1 is an 04 999S, the other an 06 999, both new. I know both have basically the same engine, the S has the ohlins, etc. Still don't think Showa's can be that inferior to the Ohlins. If anything I can always upgrade to Ohlins or Pense, (which seem to be as good or even better) and sell the stock showas.

Questions: How much do you guys think I can sell the new Showas if I have the Penske or Ohlins installed before buying the bike?

2- Which bike would you choose for basically the same money (obviously not including the upgrade to penske).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would take the S, I dont think it would be that easy to sell the Showa's, and after riding with Ohlins I dont think I could ever go back to another kind of shock. Not sure, but even though the S is older, it may hold its value a little better than the standard 999.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
bought a new(used) showa from ebay for 40,seen the gold nit forks for 400 often.best off to buy the ohlins and then sell them when you sell the bike (they hold their value well.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
They are just about equal bikes, except for the Ohlins and radial Brembos on the '04 versus the new boxed swingarm on the '06.

Over the short-term the '06 is likely to hold its value stronger as the '04 will immediately suffer a strong depreciation based on book values. Over time however, the S will hold its value more, as in the future the fact that it has the Ohlins and Brembo radial set will count much more over a 2-year difference in model year.

If you plan to keep it for less than 3 years, go with the '06 as you will save plenty on resale... but beyond that, the S is the best choice... particularly if you are able to upgrade to box-section swingarm at some point in time.... My $0.02.

·
Registered
364 Posts
isn't there a vast difference in power between the 04 999 and the 05-06 999? Its my understanding that a lot of issues have been worked out in the 05 model as compared to the 03-04's as well. Might want to look into that before basing your entire decision on the suspension.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Isn't there a vast difference in power between the 04 999 and the 05-06 999? Its my understanding that a lot of issues have been worked out in the 05 model as compared to the 03-04's as well"

That's a very good point Bhakalaw, I know the swingarm is difference and not sure about any issues that may have been fixed on the 99906 vs the 999S 04.

Maybe someone in this forum knows. If that's the case, I think I can always upgrade to Ohlins later on.

If someone knows of any issues that may have been corrected please let me know.

Thanks

·
comrade moderator
26,798 Posts
BHakaLaw said:
isn't there a vast difference in power between the 04 999 and the 05-06 999? Its my understanding that a lot of issues have been worked out in the 05 model as compared to the 03-04's as well. Might want to look into that before basing your entire decision on the suspension.
Where does this stuff come from? The swingarm was changed, the fairing upper lost two vents and was made a tad wider, and Ducati strated using a different way to measure published horsepower. That's it for the changes.
Ducati dosen't make radical changes to their bikes every two years.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
there was a vast difference between the 04 and the 06 999 but that isnt the bike he was asking about the S version is just as chuckracer said. The difference that was on the 04 to 06 999 was that the 06 version got the S engine

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
lastblast said:
I would take the S, I dont think it would be that easy to sell the Showa's, and after riding with Ohlins I dont think I could ever go back to another kind of shock. Not sure, but even though the S is older, it may hold its value a little better than the standard 999.
+1

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same dilema and I went for the 999S. However, there was a slight difference. My purchase was last year in Aug and the choices were between the 04-999S and an 05-999.

My 2 cents on why I choose the 999S over the 05 999
#1 Ohlins suspension and Ohlins Steering Dampner....Heck yes it makes a difference. Once you have your Ohlins tuned, there is nothing comparable to them. It also nice to adjust your steering dampner depending where are you riding....Tight twisties dial soft, open road keep adjusting to what you like...

#2 Deep Sump Engine. The 999S comes with a race/twistie friendly engine. I know I get better lubrication at all times that your 999.

#3 HP difference.. Is there,,,believe me.

#4 Resale value....not there yet, but in a few years, a nice kept 999S will bring a lot more of your investment back to you

#5 Monoposto Aluminum frame Stock. This eliminates a few pounds from the stock iron on the 999. If you bought a Biposto. you are stuck in one position in the ergonomic department....

Yes, the red frame and the new swingarm is prettier as well and not subject to just use the DP stand....

This were the major factors....I'll buy the 04-999S again if I had the situation in front of me again....However, I'll try to make the same deal on a 05-99S instead since you should be able to buy the 04-999S cheaper than the 06-999....Capish?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts