Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 06 999S. very low miles 1,900
Does anyone know if this is the 4 gallon Euro tank? Note the brass vent on top & the seam in front. Or are all the 06 (last year) bikes like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
that is the larger 749R tank. all 749-999 tanks are the same except for the 749R which used a larger capacity tank.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Duc, It also came with the Termi. installed, as opposed to "being in the crate" with the bike.Fueling seems spot on. I just bought a 14T sprocket, I may need that extra capacity.

·
Registered
461 Posts
yes their range can be limiting if ridden hard. when i'm in the hills, my fuel light will come on at 90 miles. but i can get 52 mpg on the highway even with gearing much lower than stock.

they are awesome bikes! enjoy.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
i find the stock 749/999 tank to be one of the most beautiful motorcycle tanks ever made. having said that, the larger one like the OP has or like is on my 749R is rare, but ugly and ruins the lines of the bike.

I've been playing with the idea of buying an extra "normal" 999 tank to use and just keep the larger 749R tank as an extra before these become expensive.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just out of curiosity, Don't you find it peculiar that a 2006 bike only has 1900 miles on it? How does one own a bike and not ride it at all for years?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just out of curiosity, Don't you find it peculiar that a 2006 bike only has 1900 miles on it? How does one own a bike and not ride it at all for years?
A garage queen, for sure. I'm glad he was "saving" it for me.
Sometimes if you own more than 5 & up bikes, they just don't get exercised like they should.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i find the stock 749/999 tank to be one of the most beautiful motorcycle tanks ever made. having said that, the larger one like the OP has or like is on my 749R is rare, but ugly and ruins the lines of the bike.

I've been playing with the idea of buying an extra "normal" 999 tank to use and just keep the larger 749R tank as an extra before these become expensive.
the 749R tank messes up the lines on the bike. it doesn't flow with everything else.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts

+1 Alexio....they are gorgeous! The 749R tank is too top heavy-tall. But it's a nice edition to have. I would have rather seen Ducati extend the sides like they do with their WSBK tanks. But then you run into hitting the tank on stuff.
From the side, above, any angle the 999 tank is cool.... you can remove it and re-install it too.....:D
IMO a 14T isn't the way to go. There's too much chain slap on the underneath portion of the swinger with the 15T. I bought a used 2005 swinger for my 2003 999. The guy ran a 14T and the chain slap had worn down the screw heads that hold down the rubber chain guide underneath the swinger. Better to install a 41 or 42T rear and new chain.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
With the stock 999 tank I start looking for gas stations 60 miles into the ride and feel uneasy if by 80 miles I have not refilled. Hard riding you can run the tank dry in just over 100 miles. The longest I have gone was 134 miles and I swear there was nothing but vapors in the tank when I finally found a station to refill. Agree that R tank is not as flowing as the smaller tank, but it would be nice to have the extra range.

·
Registered
461 Posts
ZDM;1409042 IMO a 14T isn't the way to go. There's too much chain slap on the underneath portion of the swinger with the 15T. I bought a used 2005 swinger for my 2003 999. The guy ran a 14T and the chain slap had worn down the screw heads that hold down the rubber chain guide underneath the swinger. Better to install a 41 or 42T rear and new chain.[/QUOTE said:
if you go 14 tooth front, and a 38 or 39 rear, you'll be fine. and not too low geared in my opinion for a testastretta.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts