Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has come up before and I've checked out what all seems to be written here and still see nothing wrong.
Problem: Twice now, once last fall before I put the bike away for the winter, and yesterday-- The pump doesn't prime so the engine won't fire.
What I've done: Firstly-- Unplug wire at tank & check for voltage Good
Next: Remove pump from tank & check ohms thru flange (I read how this is an issue) with meter well connected I pulled and twisted the wires all around but never saw the needle move.
Next: Being all looks good, I take the pump to the bike, plug in the wire, turn the key and it works - Put everything together, bike starts~

Has anyone seen this kind of issue. Both times the failure was with a cold engine. Seems to me if the wire was bad inside the epoxy it more likely would fail "hot". I fear being left along the road with a dead machine, what a PIA--- someone HELP Oh, low mileage about 5000, year 2006~

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi tricky one that, have to pulled the relay to see if the connections are corroded, its fixed in the worse place it can be, relays are also prone to fail

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer Masterbish! I'm going to order a relay even thou I had electric at the disconnect below the tank flange. I only wish I could see the failure thru a test, I always condemned the "parts replacer" type mechanic. But I do recognize and see the need for what's called the "educated guess"

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Mate

Yes as i said it can be a bit tricky, sometimes you have to go down the route of taking an educated guess, and just swapping out parts, the relays are known to be a bit problematic, some Ducati owners always carry a spare one, i did read on another forum that a guy found Mercades Benz has the same relay but he didn't give a part number.

I had a wiring issue 2 weeks ago, i pulled the whole loom and split all the insulation so i could find the route of every wire to ohm test it, i spent a whole week on this and the whole loom tested ok, but the bike still wouldn't start, found another loom plugged it in and it started first turn.

Moto is nothing is as it seams

1 - 4 of 4 Posts