Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I need some advice: I will change the steering head bearings to tapered tonight. The originals are shot due to traversing a roundabout without taking the roundabout.
Bottomed out completely and broke both front and rear rims. Suspension still OK I think but the steering bearing took a hit too. When tightening the nut I can feel the 'flat' spot.. When too little torque, the fork rattles...

Anyway,

What should I look for, any tips/advice on removing/reassembly?
Hoe much time should it take? I only have one evening.. And on Sunday I want to be at the track..

Or should I just tighten everything until it just does not rattle anymore and do the swap after the trackday? I don't want to be stuck in the middle and risking not to be able to go on Sunday...

Thanks!

Jens

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E5603 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
As soon as you get the new bearings, put them in the freezer. Remove the old bearings and races by punching out with a screwdriver. Warm up steering head slightly and drop in frozen races quickly. Tap into place lightly with a socket on the race. Remove old race from steering stem with an air hammer and replace using same heat/cold principle.
Tighten bearings lightly and adjust so that steering feels right.

Dont run the trackday with crunchy steering head bearings. Bad idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
frame?

frame tubes at the headtube still straight? must have been airborne for a bit.hope the frame & you are still straight!

·
Registered
53 Posts
How many people have an air chisel at home?:)
If you have an angle grinder, you likely have an air chisel. If not, take the stem and race to a car repair shop and have them remove it rather than taking forever to remove it with a grinder and chisel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
this tool is great BS9892 - Steering Stem Service | Bikeservice

otherwise, i have a big cold chisel i knock in between bearing cone and seal plate and push it off. or weld a lump on either side and use that as a base for the cold chisel. the weld helps heat the cone to expand it and get it off. don't weld all the way around, as if it cools it'll shrink and it'll never come off.

use the tapered roller bearing kit. get a couple of washers 85211031A and another seal 93010041B and fit the washers between the bearing and seal, otherwise the bearing cage will hit the seal and drag a heap. put 8nm preload on the bearings, it's enough for a tapered roller, but not too much.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I grind one or two grooves then give it a couple of belts with the chisel. It either splits or walks down the stem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys, i ground two slots with a dremel, tapped it and came right off the stem.

I put the t-section in the fridge, bearings in oven and it was a 5min. job, perfect fit!

I cut away the inner grooves on the aftermarket seals with a scalpel, everything turned out great!

Smooth steering without jimmy!

Thanks for the input!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI CAN-L01 met Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts