1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ~

I am currently considering something to power up my 999~

and came across this Big Bore kit by Ferracci. The kit cost some where

around $1400(<------maybe I am wrong about the cost) .

They say with the kit 999 produces 150 RWHP ~ but of course with full

system exhaust and everything ~

Is this worth investing ~ or am I risking the bikes lifetime ~ ??? my bike

currently has 3050 miles on it ~

Also if I do buy this kit how much labor am I looking to install this ~??

have a safe riding and thank you for reading!
~English is not my native language ~ please understand ~

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
My experience is that installation often equals, and may exceed, the kit cost of something like this.

My recommendation is to but the bike that has the power you want.

My question is, are you really using all the power that you currently have?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My experience is that installation often equals, and may exceed, the kit cost of something like this.

My recommendation is to but the bike that has the power you want.

My question is, are you really using all the power that you currently have?
wow ~~ so you are saying it will cost about the same amount to perform

the installation ??? than I am guessing somewhere around 2k ~

I might have to reconsider ~ since its little bit over my budget !!

About the power ~ I guess your right~ I may not be using all the power ~

not even close ~ but sometimes when I get on a high way ~ I feel like l

could use some extra acceleration ~!! I am not saying that the 999 is slow ~

Its probably I got used to my bike I guess ~ I will switch the rear sprocket

to gain some more acceleration and if I still feel the need for the Feracci , I

will pull the trigger `!!! Thanks for your advise !!!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
The gearing change is probably a good idea. Down one on the front and up 2-3 on the back seem the popular way to go.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
~ but sometimes when I get on a high way ~ I feel like l

could use some extra acceleration ~!! I am not saying that the 999 is slow ~

Its probably I got used to my bike I guess ~
are you downshifting before accelerating? get on the hwy in 2nd gear at 50mph and pin the throttle (watch out for wheelies). You'll be doing 90+mph in 3 or 4 sec.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If you want the kit, just go and ask how much would it cost to install it. If the installation price is reasonable, get it. Some ppl use the same money to upgrade their suspension or buy some blingbling parts and I can't see that this way of spending the extra cash would be anything worse than the other options.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you big bore this bike use only pistol pistons. This is for a number of reasons that i wont go into. I have done a possible 5 big bore versions of the 998/999. The S version with proper porting makes around 155-156hp . I have done others with additional 749r cams at 160 and one last month just under 170hp with 90 odd ft ibs . Just adding the kit to an S only delivers up to 147p

If your interested mail me and ill send you some dyno data.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Hi just wanted to ask what have you done on the bike? Have you done any
gearing change, exhaust upgrade and any upgrades to reduce the weight of the bike. Larry

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I believe the kit you are speaking of is Ferracci's 1040 stroker kit. Problem is to make the gains that Ferracci speaks of you need a PCIII and full exhaust. The last time I spoke to the head tech/service manager he stated that the cost for the stroker kit to exhaust, PCIII, porting, labor, etc,..was in excess of $8000 dollars!!!! Now if you have a full exhaust, PCIII, etc it would be alot less. That said what exactly have you done to you 999S so far? Have you installed an exhaust, PCIII or DP ECU, etc.....gearing is a great way to go...I'm running stock front 15tooth and a 41 tooth rear. It will really make your 999S accelerate much better. Problem is if you go too large on the rear sprocket you'll need a new chain. Some guys offset this problem w/ going to a 14 tooth front (which equals +3 on the rear) then adding 2-3 teeth in the rear sprocket. This way you won't have to change your chain.
But if your going to spend the money on stroker kit-wait till you have your bike set up w/ an exhaust and other goodies before you pull the trigger...otherwise it's kind of a waste of money at this point.

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
FWIW i would steer clear of Farked by elsmo

thieves made me a custom map that was the same as the one i brought the bike with LOL and somehow they erase the custom maps seconds after they are loaded too

OH, new tire was smoked and i have the paper work to prove it, they slid the second run up the scale and charged me $300 for a map i already had

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Some green backs burning a hole in your wallet? get some light weight wheels. You can easily get BSTs for the price of the big bore mod.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Wheels, suspension, gearing...then go from there...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hello everyone ~

I am currently considering something to power up my 999~

and came across this Big Bore kit by Ferracci. The kit cost some where

around $1400(<------maybe I am wrong about the cost) .

They say with the kit 999 produces 150 RWHP ~ but of course with full

system exhaust and everything ~

Is this worth investing ~ or am I risking the bikes lifetime ~ ??? my bike

currently has 3050 miles on it ~

Also if I do buy this kit how much labor am I looking to install this ~??

have a safe riding and thank you for reading!
~English is not my native language ~ please understand ~

Everyone has already touched upon what they would do first, and they are right.......

But one thing that I did not read is that fact that after you dump $5-8k into this conversion and enjoy the power, you will NEVER re-coup the investment if you go to sell it. No one will ever pay a penny extra for all your hard work or money invested in your bike.....Yet if you add wheels, better suspension, then you may re-coup 50%, maybe.......

·
Registered
207 Posts
One thing, the ad on the FBF website says that the 1120 kit is for a 999R only (unless there is a different ad I did not see on their website):

http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=909

Now, the curious thing between an R and an S is the stroke, the R has a shorter 58.8mm stroke vs the S with a 63.5mm stroke.

The R has the 104mm bore vs the S 100mm bore

So as the kit seems to be just a stroker crank, is FBF just selling an S crank which is polished and balanced?

A 63.5mm stroke with a 104mm bore in a twin is: pi times the radius squared by the stroke, or about 540cc per cylinder or 1080cc.

Ferracci also sells a 68mm stroke crank, which works out to be 1157cc or with rounding for pi near enough to 1180 cc.

My 999R has a full 57mm system gasflowed heads and high comp pistal pistons. Anyone want to hazard a guess what a long stroke version might make for horsepower? I am intrigued, although removing the stock crank and rebuilding the bottom end will be expensive, not to mention that the fuelling must be pretty different from any available ECU. A nemesis ECU and some serious dyno time is a must.

Actually, a pretty appealing idea.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm having the same dilema. I"m having my engine rebuilt and ported and i'm either going to use 100mm pistal or 102 kit...

Extra hp sounds good, but i'm more into improving my riding...

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
If I had to upgrade wheels I would go with magnesiums first. They are super light weight and they have the looks. When I slapped a new set of 5 spoke Marvics on my SS I was really impressed with the performance. To me 5 spoke look a little dated, the 10 spoke versions are awesome looking. With light weight wheels I now had the ability to make easy course adjustments even while negotiating curves. To me this meant increased safety because there will be a time whereby a correct swerve at the right time can save your ass. When I attended the CHP motorcycle academy years ago the instructors placed a lot of emphasis on decell swerving and swerving to avoid hazards in general. I know we were on big bikes, but the theory is the same. We repeatedly did skills practice dealing with this, to the point where swerving became a response. Wouldn't you know it, I recall not long after I was responding to a "hot call" on my police Harley when a car came out of a 7/11 driveway to my right. My reaction was instantaneous and almost by instinct, I swerved left then right to avoid the certain collision. If I would have responded like so many do in that situation there would have been a grinding collision and no doubt someone was going to get hurt, likely me! I was kind of amazed the big Harley pulled it off, it actually was more nimble than I thought. Later I was approached by a patrol Officer who was following me at the time and he commented on how close I came to crashing and how impressed he was with the maneuver I made to avoid the car. Kind of made me feel good. In short, riding motorcycles is dangerous, in my case enforcement riding even more so. I have made a real effort to bring some of those things like the above and incorporate them into my riding routine on a sport bike. Things like wide vision, roadway appraisal and of course swerving to name a few. Before I came on we had two very bad police motorcycle accidents, one was fatal and the other the Officer was left as a quadrapedic. He used to come down to the PD to visit and from anywhere on the first floor you could hear him coming down the halls in his electric wheelchair. The sound of the wheelchair would give me an erie feeling. He was injured when he slammed into the side of a truck that pulled out in front of him. The first Officer was decapitated when he ran into a guy wire strung across a road under construction, it was dusk out and poor visibility. To this day I think about these and other accidents I have looked in to. I do it to remind myself not to let my guard down. If you practice enough or role play out enough these things become second nature and your riding evolves into a relaxed mode.

·
Registered
680 Posts
We have done many of these stroker engines (in house) with Pistal's, a 998 crank and the shorter Pistal does make a 1080 and with the added compression and 996RS cranks (splined primary) to make an 1122 (on pump gas) we are netting about 20 HP in the mid range. The Dyno sheet is an "05 999R, 1080R and 1122R all with 57mm full systems.
One thing, the ad on the FBF website says that the 1120 kit is for a 999R only (unless there is a different ad I did not see on their website):

http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=909

Now, the curious thing between an R and an S is the stroke, the R has a shorter 58.8mm stroke vs the S with a 63.5mm stroke.

The R has the 104mm bore vs the S 100mm bore

So as the kit seems to be just a stroker crank, is FBF just selling an S crank which is polished and balanced?

A 63.5mm stroke with a 104mm bore in a twin is: pi times the radius squared by the stroke, or about 540cc per cylinder or 1080cc.

Ferracci also sells a 68mm stroke crank, which works out to be 1157cc or with rounding for pi near enough to 1180 cc.

My 999R has a full 57mm system gasflowed heads and high comp pistal pistons. Anyone want to hazard a guess what a long stroke version might make for horsepower? I am intrigued, although removing the stock crank and rebuilding the bottom end will be expensive, not to mention that the fuelling must be pretty different from any available ECU. A nemesis ECU and some serious dyno time is a must.

Actually, a pretty appealing idea.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts