Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an easy way to deal with the duct on the bike. I pulled the forks today, but could not get the bolts on the lower triple loosed up without pulling the duct. The one on the left came off and I got the right side loosened up enough to get the fork off. The real problem is going to be getting the lower front screw back in.

Anyone have an easy (easier) way to do this?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
729 Posts
Removing the air tubes are not that difficult. Just need the right tools. The best is a long tee handle hex key. I made my own by cutting off a allen key and super gluing it into a socket along with a long 1/4" extension. Tee only real issue with the tubes is if one of the screw strips in the brass insert in the air box or the insert spins in airbox - then life get more interesting.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Removing the air tubes are not that difficult. Just need the right tools. The best is a long tee handle hex key. I made my own by cutting off a allen key and super gluing it into a socket along with a long 1/4" extension. Tee only real issue with the tubes is if one of the screw strips in the brass insert in the air box or the insert spins in airbox - then life get more interesting.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
..make sure the short length screw is installed at the bottom. Cut off a 4mm T handle allen wrench shaft and glue into 4mm socket, add an extension.
Use a little grease or 3 in 1 oil....very little, on the screw threads and they'll go in and come out easier w/o the chance of stripping the threaded insert on the air box.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Found a 9" 4mm hex in St. Paul. That will make this go much better.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Thank you. Found a 9" 4mm hex in St. Paul. That will make this go much better.
It makes it much easier.
When you go to put everything back together, use a little grease on the fastener threads. This will allow them to screw in easier and seat better. Also they'll be easier to remove. I also use a little bit of grease, a thin smear on both sides of the air filter edge where it meets the air box and duct, it helps seal out debris better.
**** Remember the short screw goes on the bottom, if used anywhere else you'll strip the threaded insert on the air box....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - will definitely have the short one on the bottom. Now just need to get the forks and shocks back, but all I can do is put them on and look at it. Track season is over here in MN.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
When I went to pull mine or the first time both the lower screws were missing. Sourced some screws and yep they were a bit fiddly but really no drama. Last owner must have been a muppet!! As people say long Tee handle allen wrench, a bit of grease and all good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts