Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 999RS project continues. Thanks to a friend at Ducati in Bologna I have managed to find most of the little bits which help mount a RS frame and swingarm to a standard rear wheel. All I can say is that there are very few parts which will fit both an R and an RS. And RS hardware is, uh, pricey.

One item Ducati Corse no longer has laying around in the warehouse is the special rear hugger which fits an RS. The holes in the RS swingarm which hold the hugger are completely different from the stock box section R swingarm.

While I have not been able to find a good picture of the rear wheel hugger, you can kind of see it in the attached photo.

I have checked all the (un)usual places like JHP, CM composites, Ilmberger and others, nobody made a replica.

Any ideas where to find one, or better yet, anyone have one for sale? The RS part number is 564.1.050.1B. out of the 05 RS parts catalog, I do not think the 06 RS part is different.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What´s the big difference to the usual MS Production or CM Composit items, that will mount the stock 05 swingarm?

:edit:

Ok John, you made me leave my sofa watching the commercial break interrupting Dr. House, so here we go.

CM Composit product number 00279: rear fender carbon fibre 999 SBK Ducati (98,67 Euros excl. VAT). There are others that are listed as 999R 749R parts, so this is explicitly for the race/Corse stuff.

Maybe that´s what you´re looking for.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mounting holes are in different places.

What vendor / website are you using to find that item?

I have found the CM Composit website, but no reference to that part.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Is this RS hugger you are looking for going to fit that new swingarm?

You better start posting pictures by the way - please

SF

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I asked Barbara from CM Composit for a print version of her catalogue. The item is in there. Try sending her an email through the web contact form asking for the specific part.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The RS swingarm uses a RS axle. You can use a Pierobon axle and slider kit, but the R chain side wheel spacer is 12mm too short as the rear caliper hangs directly off of the right side axle adjuster (ie no seperate caliper bracket).

The chain buffers on the top and bottom of the swingarm are different (as are the bolts and washers which hold them on).

As well, the bolt which runs through the bottom of the shock and link rod from the left side on the R threads into a hollow pin with a long plastic head. The RS just has some special nut which threads onto the bolt inside the swingarm. I am waiting for it to come by FedEx next week.

The stock rear caliper will fit, but I run a minescule brembo caliper which means even the RS rear right side axle spacer will not fit, I need a factory RS right side axle spacer. I have asked Pierobon to try to make me one.

As the swingarm is longer you may also need a new chain.

If I had a set of forks, wheels, swingarm pivot, front axle and a set of cases I could almost bulld a second 999R with the extra bits I have.

Thanks for the Ebay heads up.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
I was going to say you could probably just get one from whoever makes the style you want and ask them not to drill the mounting holes. Then you can line it up on yours and drill the holes in the right spaces or make it fit somehow. The one on the eBay link doesn't look any different from another one I mounted to a customer's 999 not too long ago. It wasn't an RS either. Just in case you don't find one that works...

·
Registered
71 Posts
John:

I have the part you need. I bought it a couple of years ago because it was the RS style and didn't even think that the mounting would be completely different than a Strada.
If you don't find one closer to home let me know and we can work something out.

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts