Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experiance with RS heads. The service manual says they need to be rebuilt after 500kms.
Would they need rebuilding after 500km of track day use?
are the performance gains going to be substantial better the flowed heads with larger valves and bigger cams?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Anyone had any experiance with RS heads. The service manual says they need to be rebuilt after 500kms.
Would they need rebuilding after 500km of track day use?
are the performance gains going to be substantial better the flowed heads with larger valves and bigger cams?
Did you ever get any feedback from anyone on this? Was wondering the same thing

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Call Boulder Motorsports. They service several 999RS's and have campaigned them in the past. There are two at their shop for service right now...

Reactions: winmag4582001

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thank you, that was a great video. Really showed how absurd the 999RS motor was in comparison. The service life is ridiculous at 500km for most everything. I’ll stick with the road bike stuff!
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "absurd".....and I don't quite understand your logic.

Who says you must rev the thing to 14krpm?

It's not 2006 and we're not trying to win WSB, it's a 15 year old bike and we just want to terrorise some newer bikes at the track don't want we? As Toine touched on with his awesome Punisher build, if you lower the rev limit you extend the service interval. Basically you have the "service life controller" in your right hand and set in the ECU: just set a lower redline.

You can tick every box in the race parts catalog and build a 999R to make decent hp, but it is going to be highly stressed.....where an RS/F0*, built with the best components known to man/Ducati, with 2-3krpm taken off the redline is going to do it in a canter and be massively under-stressed.

So what does an RS/F0* make at road bike revs? 168rwhp @11krpm, with a "small" 57mm exhaust, adapted 749R/999R TB's with 749RS trumpets and bigger Shift Tech airbox, on 98RON fuel (none of which is ideal...but I'm working on it).

The blue in the attached dyno sheet is the "before", red is the "after", and the green is another 999 with slip-on Termi, ECU and PC3 (can't remember the model) for comparison.

The only thing a 999R engine has going for it in comparison to RS/F0* is a starter motor.

An 1198 engine is the smarter/cheaper move, but it'll have to be a good 'un to make comparable hp.

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
An 1198 engine is the smarter/cheaper move, but it'll have to be a good 'un to make comparable hp.

My 1098R makes 193hp at the wheel.

it's now an 11 year old bike and can be had for stupid money.... not mine, but they're available and std they make 186 at the flywheel with the 70mm termignoni exhaust.

Any R is a lot of bike for the money......

·
Registered
287 Posts
My 1098R makes 193hp at the wheel.

it's now an 11 year old bike and can be had for stupid money.... not mine, but they're available and std they make 186 at the flywheel with the 70mm termignoni exhaust.

Any R is a lot of bike for the money......
Yup, a 1098R qualifies as “a good ‘un”!

I’d love one but can’t seem to stop spending money on old shit instead.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts