Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime back there was a post where 999R exhausts were discussed. I never did find out why the silencer on my 03 999R said "for race use only". I suspected like the Desmo (in a remote and small kind of way) the exhaust was packed separately in the crate and installed upon delivery. I spoke to a dealer principle and he confirmed the bike came with a separate silencer, CPU with a stand and cover. The silencer was lighter than stock, had no cat and weighed less by approx. 8 lbs (not sure on the weight difference). The real bonus was the increase of 3 to 5 HP. So with the HP measuring system used in 03, my bike was in the 142 to 145HP crank HP range. Not to shabby. He also told me the 03 bike came, less the tank with a full carbon fiber body. Apparently the newer machines lacked some carbon fiber compared to the 03, on the other hand I know the 05 had the magnesium valve covers and the braced swingarm in black whereas the 03 did not. Some of you know I recently updated my bike when I found a rare set of magnesium valve covers through BCM. Funny how that one upgrade seems to make such a dramatic difference, especially for those who know the 999R bike.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Yea, those 2003 999R's were quite unusual.

The 998R was the same way as the 748R, the bikes were brought into the country as track-only bikes and the dealers had to go through a few hoops to sell them in the states, especially in Southern California.

I'm sure if you go back to the 90's you'll see all sorts of very interesting importing tricks used by Ducati and likewise many other european companies.

BMW had a feverish time bringing the S50B32 into the states (1995-1999 M3 motor) and they finally gave up on it due to the expense of the final car. Sadly, the US never saw that particular motor and we were stuck with a shitty left-over, very similar to the deep sump motors from Ducati, which didn't make it over to the US for quite sometime.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
463 Posts
Your 03 should have the ultra rare CF mono tail. I would like to get my hands on one of those some day:)

Does yours have the CF fairing stay, the mirror supports I should say. I am not really sure what to call it but I saw some on EBay the other day and the guy said they were off of a 999R. Mine are mag and I have yet to see a set of CF ones on a bike. Maybe it is from the really early bikes?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yeah, it's strange that, about the exhaust. John when you posted up about yours saying "for race use" I went and had a look at mine and it has the same thing. I haven't taken it off to see if it has the cat for the rear cylinder - the front cylinder as standard has the cat in the mid pipe and that has a heatshield over it on normal 999's but mine doesn't have the heatshield. As I bought mine preloved by someone who doesn't actually ride, he didn't have much of an idea of what was what and had lost track of the other exhaust. I haven't actually met anyone who knows what the 2003 999R came with apart from a "racing" muffler and ECU - whether it was a Termignoni like the later models or a de-catted standard system. Mine is quieter than a bike with the Termignoni half system however it's still pretty loud, especially up in the rev range a bit.

The 2003's did have the carbon mirror support things and I have a feeling the 2004's may have. These things may have been one of those Ducati specials where they switch over from one to the other mid-production.... they used all the carbon ones and then started using the magnesium ones? Another strange thing is that the air-runners on the side fairings on the 03's and 04's are different to the 999 and 999S. I haven't crosschecked the part numbers to see if they're the same as the 05/06's yet.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your 03 should have the ultra rare CF mono tail. I would like to get my hands on one of those some day:)

Does yours have the CF fairing stay, the mirror supports I should say. I am not really sure what to call it but I saw some on EBay the other day and the guy said they were off of a 999R. Mine are mag and I have yet to see a set of CF ones on a bike. Maybe it is from the really early bikes?
More revelations. Yes, mine has the carbon fiber tail and the carbon fiber mirror supports.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's strange that, about the exhaust. John when you posted up about yours saying "for race use" I went and had a look at mine and it has the same thing. I haven't taken it off to see if it has the cat for the rear cylinder - the front cylinder as standard has the cat in the mid pipe and that has a heatshield over it on normal 999's but mine doesn't have the heatshield. As I bought mine preloved by someone who doesn't actually ride, he didn't have much of an idea of what was what and had lost track of the other exhaust. I haven't actually met anyone who knows what the 2003 999R came with apart from a "racing" muffler and ECU - whether it was a Termignoni like the later models or a de-catted standard system. Mine is quieter than a bike with the Termignoni half system however it's still pretty loud, especially up in the rev range a bit.

The 2003's did have the carbon mirror support things and I have a feeling the 2004's may have. These things may have been one of those Ducati specials where they switch over from one to the other mid-production.... they used all the carbon ones and then started using the magnesium ones? Another strange thing is that the air-runners on the side fairings on the 03's and 04's are different to the 999 and 999S. I haven't crosschecked the part numbers to see if they're the same as the 05/06's yet.
According to the dealer, the 03 999R had a non Termi exhaust silencer made to Duc specs, it was de-catted and there was one other thing that made it different but in all this excitement, I forgot. I do feel lucky tho, lol. I noticed mine is louder than a stock system as you said, not as loud as the half system on my 999S. I agree when you on the noise when you throttle up, sounds good.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
As I've said in the past, the US spec 2003 999R's exhaust supposedly had built in cats. Yes, the motorcycle did come with a "race exhaust kit" as mentioned above but it was either an option you had to pay for or for Euro spec bikes only. if you look at the "engine" section on the 2003 999R page on Ducati.com, you'll see this:

Exhaust Single steel muffler with 3-way catalytic converter
Emissions Euro2

We know that the race kit eliminated the cat in the muffler and pipes, so the question is did some of these race kits make it into/onto US bikes. i guess it's as easy for those to look at their oem exhaust kits to see if in fact their mufflers have built-in cats or not.

i've never appreciated the rarity of the rear carbon tail section until now. then again, the magnesium covers that come on the later bikes are pretty cool as well.

800 units produced in 2003....another cool stat.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yep, the carbon mono tail from the factory is a real rare piece. A set of the carbon ears / fairing supports sold on EBay not to long ago, I think they sold for close to 600 together but in seperate auctions.

I have yet to see a factory CF tail list on EBay or in the forums for sale.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I pulled off my "racing use only" exhaust to put a termi full system on and had a peek inside that "racing use only" muffler. A bit of a surprise occured - although there's no cat in there, the muffler is actually two inlets in (the small, 45mm, and large 50mm) leading into a large oval shaped chamber and then splitting out into those tiny outlets. No wonder the thing gets a bit rowdy up in the revs! Apart from those itty bitty outlets the muffler itself would seem to have even less noise muffling than the Termignoni (which is of the two-tubes straight through design).

It's fairly light in weight - the standard headers are quite light and this muffler is not too bad for a stainless steel one. It'd have to be a fairly rare thing as they were only made for the 2003 999R and 800 of those were built apparantly. It's probably be a reasonably upgrade for a 749, 749S or 2003 999 if one could get their hands on one cheaply.

I'll try to get some pictures of the inside of the muffler.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Standard exhaust systems come with cats. Euro 999R's for 2003 came with the "race kit" of front pipe, muffler and ECU. As for the US models, I believe it was optional?

Tom, yours is an unusual 2003 999R - did it come with the race system or with the standard system?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I picked up one of these 'for race only ' exhaust and mine is a straight through design...you can see straght through the exhaust from inlet to outlet......also the inlet ports on mine are both the same size....and the outlet ports are much larger than the stock exhaust.....I will take some pics of mine and post them up!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Standard.

The race kit's aren't street legal in Europe, either.

Tom
Correct but the open exhaust came in a box with it . The newer R`s also came with a rear stand a ducati back pack an R cover and an authenticity plaque with the engine and frame numbers on it . All Eu R`s have a numbered plaque on the top yoke.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Funnily enough if you buy a pure racing titanium one , I`ve the one off Stuart Easterns 749 british super sport bike , There`s no marks at all . Or bolt holes etc come to think of it.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Just FYI, I've seen someone trying to sell a pair of the magnesium 999R valve covers on eBay. I'd have been interested in them myself if I hadn't already customized the ones on my bike to match the new paint.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts