Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought my 999R and had no problems starting it until yesterday. Its very cold here in portland, but its kept in a heated garage, so that might have no bearing on the issue. Basically the thing is absolutely dead. When I turn it on the voltage read 11.3, which I understand is far too low to get it started, so I put it on a battery tender overnight. Read 12.6 this morning with the tender stating it was fully charged. BUT as I unplugged it, the voltage started dropping. Hit the start button, and absolutely nothing.
I am presuming this means I just have a bad battery. What should a good strong battery read.
Cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
my 999 reads 13.7 volts.. drops down to around 12 when riding.. i would say your battery is completely dead.. depleted of electromagnetic ions that can hold and maintain a static charge.. it of course will hold while power is being pumped into it, but immediately loses potency when unplugged.. just grab a new battery.. take the fairing off on left side, and remove dead battery..

motowheels, and some other sites on the left of the forum have some pretty good prices on batteries as well...

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Keep the bike on the battery tender 24/7/365. It's a lot cheaper than having to buy new batteries. I keep mine plugged in when it's parked in the garage, winter or summer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Keep the bike on the battery tender 24/7/365. It's a lot cheaper than having to buy new batteries. I keep mine plugged in when it's parked in the garage, winter or summer.
Your battery will charge higher if you put the battery tender on a 4hr timer. I have mine all set to start at midnight and run till 4am :)

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Your battery will charge higher if you put the battery tender on a 4hr timer. I have mine all set to start at midnight and run till 4am :)
Makes no difference. The tender charges until the voltage reaches a set point and then SHUTS OFF while monitoring battery voltage. When the voltage drops to a set point, it charges again until the shut off point is reached. Any time the green light is on steady, it's NOT charging. I've used the Battery Tender brand for over 20 years this way, and my batteries last years longer than those who don't. I currently am running 6 of them, 4 motorcycles, a generator, and a booster pack. The generator battery is over 12 years old and still going strong.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
my 999 reads 13.7 volts.. drops down to around 12 when riding.. i would say your battery is completely dead.. depleted of electromagnetic ions that can hold and maintain a static charge.. it of course will hold while power is being pumped into it, but immediately loses potency when unplugged.. just grab a new battery.. take the fairing off on left side, and remove dead battery..

motowheels, and some other sites on the left of the forum have some pretty good prices on batteries as well...

Interesting.....my 999 reads about 12.9-13.0 on the dash resting, goes to 13.7-13.9 when I'm riding w/ both beams on 13.7....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts