Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to start with my final drive sprocket gearing , Ive got a renthal 36 39 40 41, tooth sprocket which im going to start with. Sticking with 15 front . Ordered a new chain , 108 links , I think I need 101, but better too many than not enough . Will give a top speed of 159 mph (with 41 tooth) and a 1st gear speed 0f 61 mph . Maybe 151 rwbh will be a bit savage though . Any thoughts.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Im about to start with my final drive sprocket gearing , Ive got a renthal 36 39 40 41, tooth sprocket which im going to start with. Sticking with 15 front . Ordered a new chain , 108 links , I think I need 101, but better too many than not enough . Will give a top speed of 159 mph (with 41 tooth) and a 1st gear speed 0f 61 mph . Maybe 151 rwbh will be a bit savage though . Any thoughts.
with 14/38 gearing, 98 links, I get ~500mm swingarm length on my 749R

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with 14/38 gearing, 98 links, I get ~500mm swingarm length on my 749R
I never thought of the swing arm length . Im only starting with the 41 tooth sprocket 101 links , I think , So that I can shorten my newly acquired chain till I get my desired marriage of rear sprocket. I used this http://www.gearingcommander.com/ to find out what speeds are likely . Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I never thought of the swing arm length . Im only starting with the 41 tooth sprocket 101 links , I think , So that I can shorten my newly acquired chain till I get my desired marriage of rear sprocket. I used this http://www.gearingcommander.com/ to find out what speeds are likely . Thanks for your input.
100 links is likely what you're gonna end up with; the count will come out to an even number. I set the swingarm length to where I want it, then put the chain around the sprockets to see which one to cut. Be sure to account for chain adjustment length. On your 999, with stock triples, shoot for at least 495mm from the center of the swingarm pivot to the center of the axle. If you plan on going with different offset triples, you want to get over 500mm. Going longer than that will require removing the axle stops from the swingarm... this gets you into the range of swingarm length used in World Supersport racing

BTW, from what I've measured, you get approximately 6mm change in swingarm length for every two tooth change in rear sprocket

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i have 15-41,coudn't say how many links but the rear wheel is quite far back,with a little room for chain stretch.its great ratio for everything but top end speed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts