Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a Ducati 999s 05 model that I have switched side fairings on to 03 999R. I see that I have a problem on the side where the chain is sitting. The fairing squeezes into the swingarm and the gear shifter. i have also changed the nose fairing to 05 999R. so everything is mounted correctly. Know that if you do not change nose fairing you get a space between the side fairings and the nose.

Knowing that 03 999R fairings are a little longer than 04 to 06 999R. But you who have switched the swing arm on their 999 03 model to 04-06 have you had the same problem with the side fairing like i have ?

A bit unsure of what to do.... ?

Thank you for your help.

Kenny.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
"Knowing that 03 999R fairings are a little longer than 04 to 06 999R. But you who have switched the swing arm on their 999 03 model to 04-06 have you had the same problem with the side fairing like i have ?"
When you say "fairing" in this paragraph are you referring to "nose cone" fit or side fairing and which area of fitting are you concerned with? Swingarm area?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Knowing that 03 999R fairings are a little longer than 04 to 06 999R. But you who have switched the swing arm on their 999 03 model to 04-06 have you had the same problem with the side fairing like i have ?"
When you say "fairing" in this paragraph are you referring to "nose cone" fit or side fairing and which area of fitting are you concerned with? Swingarm area?

sorry for my bad explanation. i mean the side fairing at the lower part of it. Down by the swingarm area.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Got it. With 03-04 fairings (lowers) that I've fitted to customers bikes with later swingers I've just cut a small section (groove) out of the fairing where it touches the swinger. If you are careful enough you can touch the cut area up with a brush. No need to re-spray.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. With 03-04 fairings (lowers) that I've fitted to customers bikes with later swingers I've just cut a small section (groove) out of the fairing where it touches the swinger. If you are careful enough you can touch the cut area up with a brush. No need to re-spray.
Ok, that's what I hoped I would not do. But it look like its the only solution.

Did Ducati performance back in the days come up with an upgrade kit for the 03 model to switch to 04-06 swing ? And in the package you got a drawing on how to cut out the side fairings lower part from the swingarm ?

remember i read it somewhere.

Thank you so much for the help xracer :)

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
The only instructions were for the fairing mods to clear the first version full exhaust. And this brilliant piece of literature says to add stick on lagging and space the fairing out. In the end Ducati decided to do a stunning bit of engineering and flatten the offending pipe and make it around 20mm thick.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only instructions were for the fairing mods to clear the first version full exhaust. And this brilliant piece of literature says to add stick on lagging and space the fairing out. In the end Ducati decided to do a stunning bit of engineering and flatten the offending pipe and make it around 20mm thick.
What do you recommend to use when cutting carbon? Dremel tool? Should I go over with sandpaper to make it look as original and fine as possible?
Do you have or know about a picture of someone who has done it?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I use a die grinder but I would Dremel will have something. A small rat tail file and 240 freecut. Have a fan to blow the carbon away from where you are working and wear a mask.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a die grinder but I would Dremel will have something. A small rat tail file and 240 freecut. Have a fan to blow the carbon away from where you are working and wear a mask.
Thank you so much for your help. I have one last question.

I found a manual on how to change the swingarm. Is there as much as they appear on the picture I should cut on both side fairings?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Left side only. Hardest thing is pissing around with the brake line. You can VERY carefully bend the bango fitting at the master cylinder. Later models have a different part number for the line.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,156 Posts
I use a die grinder but I would Dremel will have something. A small rat tail file and 240 freecut.
Have a fan to blow the carbon away from where you are working and wear a mask.

Much better way is to work the carbon under a water spray so there is zero dust, just a black slurry carried away by the water.
I use a garden weed sprayer or else a hose set to a light spray.
A fan just spreads the itchy dust all over the place.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
That's the way I normally do it Davy and I built a special wet bench for that purpose but as he is only removing a small amount I didn't bother with the water suggestion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts