Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have been through the site first, and have learned a lot but wondering about a few things on this topic. I know a few people have done this but wondering what the exhaust size is..54mm or 57mm on the "R". Do all "R" bikes have the race only can as an extra or is there a point at which they only came with one can? Its this or core an exhaust this winter so any help would be nice.
thanks in advance for any help.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Ducati hasn't ever shipped a bike from the factory with a race exhaust installed. As road going vehicles, Ducati dealers have to abide by DOT regulations which these so-called "race" exhausts, don't meet.

They've offered special deals where you get a different exhaust with the bike and the dealer will install it for you. Some of the 999R's were like that, but the "race" exhaust that shipped with those bikes was not the top of the line, just a minor upgrade from the stock.

I have a 57mm exhaust on my 749R, but thats a different sorta motor then a 749 or 749S, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. The 748 preferred a smaller diameter exhaust which equated to better mid-end. The 749 should be roughly the same, so a 54mm will do the trick.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the Factory "R" is a 54mm exhaust? I know they didnt ship with the race exhaust can but another guy was just putting one up here on the site..then kept it, so thats how I know that it came with two cans. I just can't find any info on stock exhaust sizes anywhere. thanks tye!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
All the 749 and 999's from Dark through R's shipped with the same asymetrical exhaust from the factory; exception being deep sump vs. standard sump routing.

Some R and S 999's shipped with an asymetrical "race exhaust" (uninstalled, in a box) that is basically a slip on exhaust that eliminated the catalytic converters, but the pipes were the same diameter. This is the same as the Ducati Performance "half-system"

When you talk about 54mm and 57mm systems, you are refering to a symetrical "full-exhaust".

EDIT: on a side note, if you are looking for an exhaust for a 749 Base or possibly S, the half-system is the better choice than a 54 or 57mm full system.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/QUOTE]EDIT: on a side note, if you are looking for an exhaust for a 749 Base or possibly S, the half-system is the better choice than a 54 or 57mm full system.[/QUOTE]

yea, a little bit of research that I just did kinda said the same thing. I really appreciate the input. It is an S and it looks like I have the option of Coring or half system. The bike right now is seeing more track than street but i really cant justify the expense of the full systems. would rather spend the duckets on the suspension. Anyplace that I could look for Dyno #'s on a cored exhaust? Ive read a ton on here about how to do it and all but no idea if the actual gain and weight savings if really any.

thanks agian :D

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
[QUOTE/]Anyplace that I could look for Dyno #'s on a cored exhaust? Ive read a ton on here about how to do it and all but no idea if the actual gain and weight savings if really any.[/QUOTE]

Huge PINA. Contact this guy: http://www.mjsperformance.com/
He makes a cored exhaust for $550, then gives you $100 back for your stock can when you send it to him. So $450 after all is done. Good deal for the amount of work involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts