Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

999R - Clutch / Oil Leak?

997 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  desmo2 
#1 ·
Hello -

I've got an '06 999R Xerox. Towards the end of track day yesterday, I discoved a small amount of oil leaking from the clutch cover. I removed the cover and and found just a small amount of oil coating the back.

Is this a problem / issue that anyone else has encountered. There are a number of seals behind that clutch - is one of them more prone to leaking then the others.

I'm hoping there's some previous experience with this and that someone may be able to offer some guidance.

Thanks for your help!

A.

#2 ·
I recently had this problem. Most likely you need a clutch pushrod seal kit. It is about $8 from http://www.desmotimes.com/ Go to the "clutch" section on the site and the seal kit is shown in the 4th row.

In the center of the transmission shaft there is a seal that prevents oil from leaking through. The seal wears out after time. Luckily the parts are cheap and it only takes 20 minutes or so to install.

#3 ·
pay close attention to the clutch pushrod.make shure its straight and it should not spin much when assembled.if it does the bearing is likely needing replaced.the big seal behind the basket also can go bad.its a pita to change ,so determine if the oils coming from behind the basket.(big seal)or from the drum(closer to the center )(the o-rings)

#5 ·
That's a pretty common issue with all dry clutch Ducatis. Had the same thing happen to me on my '99 900SS. Like you, I didn't know what was causing it, and when it occurred I was in Arkansas on a weekend ride. I was a bit stressed about it!

No biggie, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.