Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry folks I tried to search but 'clutch' query pulls up too many posts.

Anyone know if the oem clutch basket in the 999R is made of aluminum?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
cool...thanks..

2nd question :)

What's the difference between sintered clutch plates and organic clutch plates? I guess sintered plates for metal basket and organic plates for aluminum?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What's the difference between sintered clutch plates and organic clutch plates? I guess sintered plates for metal basket and organic plates for aluminum?
+1 on the aluminium clutch basket.

Sintered plates have much more friction than the other ones. I bought them for my slipper. They are specially made in Italy for some private race teams and pressed on aluminium to be gentler for the aluminium basket. The teeth on the aluminium plates are also slightly wider than OEM and other aftermarket ones, to spare the basket some more.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I tried both, Yoyodyne's sintered and organic slipper clutch packs. IMO the organic behaved much better, but all of my riding is street, not track so I'm not banging downshifts aggressively. So far the organic has held up great, after over 4K miles the plates are still with in spec. The only issue w/ organic is you can't use a contact cleaner such as Brakleen on them because it deteriorates the organic pads....I just use dishwashing detergent.
The organics are also less aggressive in wearing the driven plates also.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys..such feedbacks helps. Being that this is a street bike I'm leaning toward organic.

Comparing some kits from MW, and some from moto-lab's EVR 48T.

I have about 12K miles on my 999R at the moment. All street miles, 2 dyno tune sessions and the clutch seems fine. Although aggressive downshifting is quite smooth even with my clutch releasing is not. So I'm guessing it's getting worn and i'm getting the 'slipper' clutch affect :D

I bought Factory Pro 'Factorini' shift kit and would like to replace the clutch packs while I'm in there.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Does anybody know if Tye is comming back? He had always very good advice!
There would be one or two from the older days that would disagree that his advice was good every thread he was in got into an argument some where down the line.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I've had chatter problems with the organic plates in combo with a corse slipper so I am using the Sintered.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
thanks guys..such feedbacks helps. Being that this is a street bike I'm leaning toward organic.

Comparing some kits from MW, and some from moto-lab's EVR 48T.

I have about 12K miles on my 999R at the moment. All street miles, 2 dyno tune sessions and the clutch seems fine. Although aggressive downshifting is quite smooth even with my clutch releasing is not. So I'm guessing it's getting worn and i'm getting the 'slipper' clutch affect :D

I bought Factory Pro 'Factorini' shift kit and would like to replace the clutch packs while I'm in there.
Let us know how you make out with the Factorini Provente :D shift kit...I was just asking Dennie about that. It's inexpesnive and appears like a straight forward install.
FYI-The 48T clutch packs are very expensive compared to the Yoyodyne 12T sintered or oragnic packs..

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Not on the 2003 999R.

Tom
The basket I removed from the 03 999R was steel. I didn't answer the OP because I bought the bike used and couldn't be sure it was OEM, so I'll assume it was steel when new

BTW I've had good luck with Moto Wheels drop in slipper and plates!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Aluminium basket=aluminium plates. Steel basket=steel plates. Quite logical. Organic or sintered, per own preference. Sintered will last longer on the track. For road use organic have a "smoother feeling" IMHO. The ST's used aluminium plates OEM. I use those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts