Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What kind of results would you expect Tom if I installed those 749R cams I still have on the shelf? I'm planning to sell them and I got sale 90% sure on them, but you never know what happens so one day they might as well be fitted to my bike.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Jyrki, I dont have a certain number as the base design of what you prefer to do will affect everything.
Using them will take new intake rockers all around which are super hard to find and silly expensive and then you need to either grind down the cams or have special closing shims made.
All for little gain, as you need to find a tuner to squeeze the little extra lift out of those cams, or its zip zero result.
It's the 2004 749s so the 749r cams should drop in, since my bike has those rockers for some reason. Chris(cjs) said that there is a slight change that it would require some extra work, but it would be more like fine tuning. Of course I would have to map it again etc and maybe even upgrade the ecu once again from the pc3 that I now have, so it's all quite unrealistic that I would choose this route. I probably rather take the money for the cams instead of investing whole bunch more for few extra ponies. But if I had these cams when the engine was rebuilt, then.... :cool:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It was built by the same guy who does engine work to the guy who has those factory superbikes here, so he knows his stuff. When the engine work was done it included some mild porting job and the timing was set to the spec(don't know/remember the figures he used). It's been on the dyno few times already since the ecu burned out this summer, so it had to be re-mapped once again. Now with the cost effective pc3.

Thing is that if I install the cams it means few euros to the engine guy, few euros to the dyno guy etc etc. so it's an never ending circle. Probably will keep it as it is and either sell it and get the 749R and start building a track weapon from it. Much better starting point with all the goodies it has in stock condition already...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Ok, hadnt any clue of the history, just wrote generally, then as you say I'd just enjoy it.
Why did it have to be remapped? Have you already? If it was from changing ecu I can help you clone it or repair the broken unit.
I had the FIM ultimap ecu in it. It never worked as it should have and now it went all bad. I have no interest in getting it back, but it did have a decent map in it, but I believe it would have been sort of pain in the ass to convert it so we took the OEM ecu and fitted pc3 and mapped it again.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
First part of post #26 is what it takes to use them, we used the 749R cams just because we were sitting on them and I actually like doing those kind of builds, so if youre a build nerd then certainly. But if its bang for buck were discussing nothing beats 999S cams, they are very good.
It was a bargain price I guess, but nothing's ever as cheap as it looks like. Now the bike will sit some time before I get today's incident sorted....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts