Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey Guys,

Has anyone done this?

fitting 999R cams into 999? or what are the options as far as replacing cams?

do you have to go with the OEM ducati 999R cam?

thank you.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Brad Black from Moto One Australia did a good write up on the differences between the cams... here is an excerp regarding the valve spacing and what cams will actually fit:

"The 999, 999S and 999R ’03 run the same valve spacing (common to the 996R, 998 and 998S also). The 999R ’05 model runs wider inlet spacing I believe, but again I haven’t seen inside one yet. The 998RS cams fit the 996R, 998, 998S, 999 and 999S engines, but the 999RS (or F04 as they call them) cams may share the new 999R spacing. The 999R ’05 is mainly a US AMA homologation special it seems (tighter rules than the SBK world series), so it would make sense the heads are 999 Corse spec."

http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/camtime4v.html

·
Senior Narcissista
5,767 Posts
I'm project leading two 999S engines which will have 749R cams. It's not a straight fit, but possible with a few mods.

I assume you have the deep sump engine with S cams, otherwise mounting S cams is a straight fit. 999r cams up to and including 2004 are the same item as 999S Euro spec cams.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's funny, but OEM 999R cams are cheaper than 999 base cams.

350 (999R) vs 530 (999)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Currently running a modded 999 Bi (Ohlins, slipper, Term 57mm full race, ergal rollers, regeared, etc) and found this. Did not seem to get a definitive answer from it though. Any more thoughts for bumping whp? Please no chiding on why either, I am choosing not to go to a 1098 currently but like the power of them, I just love my 999.
Thanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
That sounds nice. Unfortunately, the link and search doesn't work for them, just get this message: Error 404: NOT FOUND!
Your browser cannot find the document corresponding to the URL you typed.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Works! Server must have been screwing around with me the other night. Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I did a little research myself to add to this thread, and it looks like 999r cams are actually:

2001 spec 996r exhaust cams

&

2003 spec 999s intake cams

These camshafts together make a 03 spec 999r camshafts set!!!

just thought i would add my $.02 into the thread!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm pulling my heads apart again this winter, what is the best set of cams to install with larger valves in a 999S motor?

Cheers,

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I'm pulling my heads apart again this winter, what is the best set of cams to install with larger valves in a 999S motor?

Cheers,
....Why waste your time w/ cams and valves.....you already have some pretty decent cams in it....go with a 1038cc kit (Tom did a little post on this in this thread).
If you know your way around a teststretta....and change change out cylinders, adjust valves etc....it would be a worth while avenue to take a look into.
The kit comes w/ gaskets, over-bored cylinders which are nikasiled, Pistal piston kit....it's a 'drop in" kit, the pistons come completely balanced so there's no crank balancing...IIRC the kit is around $800 but theres a core charge for your old cylinders....you'll need to buy about $200 in other gaskets depending on what you deem needed to be replaced or reused.
If you decide, you can send your heads out and get them ported, valves done, etc...when you get them back you can do the install yourself.
I considered this w/ my 2003 999 base.....but had FBF do all the work soup to nuts instead....I had them install the 1038cc kit, bought S cams ( pre2005 999 base didn't come w/ the S cams)....they handled the porting, valve work, valve guide replacement, cam degreeing, mapping, etc.....when done it dynoed at 149/86.....w/ a slip on:eek: I've since install a full system which really added.....alot of punch....I actually was surprised how much better it performed w/ the full Termi 54mm) exhaust. also I have a DP/Termignoni 54mm ECU and PCIII....
My 999 is loads of fun..runs great! Isn't over stressing the motor, I ride around using the midrange anyway and this motor can handle 150 hp easily....I asked FBF if they could give me mid range power.....and they did.....huge mid range....although peek HP come at 10K rpms...my gearing is 15/41T. It's a kit that works, drop in and go, no special grinding or balancing...when your done your at least 150 RWHP+.....heck, you already have S cams....so your ahead of the game...food for thought....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wish I'd known about the 1038 kit before I did my pistal pistons last winter in both my bikes...

Who is the best source in North America?

Cheers,

Bryan

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
I think the OP is talking about his base 999. If thats the case the best bang for your buck for an instant 10-12hp boost are 999S cams. Get the cams degreed and dynoed with a 54mm system and I think you will get close to 20hp out of it. If its the 03-04 999 you will then have about 144hp, but that was under the old way of measuring hp. I believe Ducati went to a different measuring system in 05, so its conceivable the hp might be more and I have no idea what RWHP would be, there are plenty of knowledgeable people here to clarify all that. Don't know how much you want to spend, there is no limit to that. But I think you can achieve some decent numbers without taking a hard hit. Depends on how fast you want to go keeping in mind reliability. My 03 999R is plenty fast for me, I got a good bump with the 57mm Leo Vince Corsa ti full system. The claimed increase is much more impressive than the slip ons, which hardly yielded anything. There are some things I would like to do to it in the future, but nothing drastic. My immediate goal was to upgrade the power to 05-06 R bike levels.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Last summer (when I was employed by Ducati Minneapolis) is had measured a set of S4RS cams while I was getting up to date on other current superbike cams.

Bruce had a set of 999R cams that Vee Two made for him, so I measured those. I also mesured a set of 999 cams from a set of head that Fred had bought on Ebay/

The 999R cams are identical to S4RS cams. the first 999 cams were slightly milder than S4RS cams.

So, there's nothing 'magical' or 'special' about the 999R cams and they should be readily available.

Doug

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
They're probably the Euro-spec 998S cams, shared by most of the top-range SBKs until MY'05

From Brad Black's new site (old link on page 1)... http://www.bikeboy.org/duccamspec.html

" '998S' refers to the Euro spec 998S. The USA spec 998S has the base model 998 engine. These cams are also fitted to the 996R, 998R, 999S (both Euro and USA) and the ’03 999R. Not sure about the ’05 999R yet. The ’05 999 has these cams I believe."

·
Senior Narcissista
5,767 Posts
Early 999r cams are identical to 998S, 998R, 999S and deep sump 999 05 and forth.
These cams are very good and dont require much maintenance, sort of the 996sps cams for testastretta.

999R 05-06 are a different kind and not a straight fit, requires new rockers and then some more mods, not recommended, but can be fitted on an extreme build.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What kind of results would you expect Tom if I installed those 749R cams I still have on the shelf? I'm planning to sell them and I got sale 90% sure on them, but you never know what happens so one day they might as well be fitted to my bike.

·
I hear airplanes
2,601 Posts
So S4RS motors do not have 999S cams?
They have early 999R cams?

Cheers,
The S4RS cams have the same markings as the 999S cams, as well as the same OEM part number. I researched this to confirm.

999R (03-04), 999S (03-04), S4R/S (testa) and 05-06 999's (S and base) all had the "S" cams. The 749R is totally different, and as Tom said so are the 05-06 999R cams.

The 03-04 999's (base) can benefit from a straight/drop in set of "S" cams.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts