Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I have tried to search for an answer to my question, but unfortunately couldn’t find it here anywhere.
I have a 998 trackbike with a 999 shallow sump engine. A few years back I have acquired a used 999F06 factory slipper clutch, back then I have received the following parts to mount it on the standard engine with a m20 locknut and the washer.
Now my question is where the washer goes, the locknut fits quite well onto the spider so I don’t see how the washer goes in between of the clutch drum and the spider/locknut.
of course I have tried to look it up, but the 999rs manual only shows the M25 locknut configuration.
The M20 locknut and washer for the standard crankshaft I have received with the clutch from Forza Moto, but unfortunately he did not respond to my email,
I hope somebody can help me here.

Kind regards,
Sten

·
Registered
470 Posts
That washer gos under the clutch hub. I know that the ckust in this pic is different than yours but the basic layout is the same. With everything remover the stack up gos, thick spacer with seal on one end(this allows for the outer seal to have something smooth to seal against), the washer that you are talking about(usually is beveled) then church hub. Some slipper clutched don't have a washer at the very end by the nut. Some have the washer machined into the nut as a flange(that is what you have. Notice how it's nut just a nut. It's a nut with a washer machined into it)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your quick responses. The image with the washer behind the hub I had not seen before, that does make sense and I figured out the nut is a washer and nut together, so I couldn't figure out what to do with the washer there.
I will give it a try!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Placing the washer behind the hub totally makes sense to me (also since the clutch does not properly disengage at the moment), but the washer is 24mm and the shaft 25mm.
Now you could say that I have the wrong washer, but it seems to me Forza Moto has sold this clutch multiple times and directly knew what to send me back then when I bought the clutch for my standard 999 engine.
Probably the most standard answer is ask Forza Moto, which I will try again, but if anyone has any suggestion it's more than welcome.

·
Registered
337 Posts
What you have there in those last pics is correct. Washer goes behind the clutch hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6 is a flat washer that has exactly the same diameter as the spider. The one that I have is the one pictured behind the hub, it is a Belleville washer (don't know another name for it, that's how we used to call them in Formula car racing), it is spherical and flattens out if you provide enough load.

The solution might be as simple as acquiring the same Belleville washer in 25mm, I will try to find out and post my solution here.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I already posted the RS clutch exploded view. There is no washer under the hub.
The nut and other parts that he has are also different than the pic you posted. In reality it only looks like the pressure plate is the RS(or aftermarket version of the RS . Perhaps he doesn't have the comete clutch depicted in the exploded view you linked but an aftermarket one that resembles the RS or mabye he just has certain parts from the RS and other parts of a more common spider spring ball on ramp slipper? Either way, the beveled washer gos under the hub in the majority of clutch configurations. The fact that it's larger i.d. of the washer makes me thing that either the spacer that the beveled washer sits on is in backwards (mabye a recessed lip In the other side of that spacer) or the wrong beveled washer was provided when he purchased.

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
The nut and other parts that he has are also different than the pic you posted.
That's because all the bikes that used this clutch had an M25 center nut along with a safety washer (same as on front sprockets) and a centering washer for the spider spring. The 749R slipper clutch had the M20 nut with a flange for centering the spring and it's commonly used on these clutches when installing on Tamburini bikes and 749/999.

I had the exact same one on my 999S and now have it on my Hypermotard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately I have had no reply from Forza Moto, trying to contact him over eBay and his website.
I have a set of new Newfren F1336 clutch plates which should be suitable for the 999rs clutch, I think it has a stack height of 36,5 mm.
I have tried to mount the clutch previously without the washer, like Jusutus proposed, but the clutch wouldnt disengage. I have tried adding an extra friction and steel plate, but even with an extra 3 or 4 mm it barely disengaged. I think if any more plates wouldn’t fit, but I could try an extra 0,5 mm and bleed the cylinder again.

i have ordered the 749r washer to give this one a try as well behind the clutch hub.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Or the pushrod spacer inside the slave cylinder? Some use a bearing but Oberon(I'm sure some others as well) use an actual chunk of stainless as a spacer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought the spacer was for the 996 (Desmoquattro) engine, but not sure here. Did not consider the push rod length up to now.
A small update here: I have received the 749R spring washer and this one has exactly the same dimensions as the one I have, except for the inside diameter being 25mm and thus sliding over the crankshaft.
I will measure up the lengths of the original spacers and the RS-ones this weekend and have a look how they come out, but I have a good feeling that the spring washer that I received with my clutch was supposed to go behind the hub.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts