Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question. First of all I've been waiting for 6 months to get my 1st Duc. I just sold my 05 gixxer1000 and last week I rode a 03 999. That bike was so uncomfortable to me, and it seems strange , because last year I rode a 749 and the position didn't seem as aggresive. My gixxer was not as aggresive a riding position and on this 93 I rode I had to really tilt my head back to see straight. I am vertically challenged at 5'6 29" inseam. Is there any difference in an 03 999 and an 05-06 999 ? After that I rode the monsters and that was a blast but I want to make sure I'm not missing something here that I'll regret later in not buying an 05-06 999. Different clipons?

Thanks

Don

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
clipons help alot on the 999.

But there are diffrences between 03-04 999 and 05-06 999.
The 05-06 have slightly diffrent farings and more power. I´m not sure about changes to seating position at all, but it´s a fair bet they modified it some.

//amullo

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Gixxers are well known to be the most comfortable of the supersport bikes, so it might take a little getting used to the 749/999 series. You may find that after you buy a 999, you will change your riding style and position on the bike to best suit the change in ergos.

Also, if you get an S or R type 749/999, you will be able to adjust the position of the footpegs and the tank.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was a concern of mine, because I didn't want to spend the extra $$ on the 999s and I'm thinking the 749s would'nt have enough grunt. I know the riding position is more aggresive ,but it makes one hesitate when your spending $16k + . I need to maybe take another ride on one, Dam demo route in Beaverton Oregon sucks I need some country roads to get familiar!!!

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 2004 999 mono- I'm 5'8"" with a 29 inch inseam. The seat is adjustable, pegs are adjustable, I use a Speedmoto triple clamp- gives about 3/4" more height and some front to back adjustment. If you need more, Cycle Cat makes a nice set of clip-ons that give you even more adjustment. I spend 6 to 8 hours at a time on my bike with no problems- I couldn't do that on my Multistrada. With a few little tweaks you can get pretty comfortable on a 999, not to mention the fun you'll have

·
Registered
84 Posts
hunduc said:
I have a quick question. First of all I've been waiting for 6 months to get my 1st Duc. I just sold my 05 gixxer1000 and last week I rode a 03 999. That bike was so uncomfortable to me, and it seems strange , because last year I rode a 749 and the position didn't seem as aggresive. My gixxer was not as aggresive a riding position and on this 93 I rode I had to really tilt my head back to see straight. I am vertically challenged at 5'6 29" inseam. Is there any difference in an 03 999 and an 05-06 999 ? After that I rode the monsters and that was a blast but I want to make sure I'm not missing something here that I'll regret later in not buying an 05-06 999. Different clipons?

Thanks

Don
I am vertically challenged myself 5'3'' and 29'' inseam on a tall day. I went from a Daytona 600 to my '05 999 without much of a difference. Don't know if there is a difference from '03 to '05, but I don't find the riding position any less uncomfortable.
hopper

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to try and ride a 999 again before I make a decesion.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Lol, and here I got on my 999R Xerox and road it a few hundred miles and got back on my 996 and felt that it was uncomfortable and awkward now. And my R1 Causes leg cramps because the darn thing is so FAT and I have the hardest time going into corners with it, front feels like it wants to tuck under on me now.
I’m about 6’ 2” 225 lbs and feel my new 999R is the most comfortable bike I have ridden in a while. But then again, I did take out the shifting lever, bent the linkage and scraped the kickstand on a corner. Made me be stuck in 2nd gear for the rest of my ride.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have both the 04 999 s and the 06 999 r xerox and the riding position is the same. (exactly...... well the 04 has more adjusability on the pegs) I'm 5' 10" and ride with the seat/tank in the forward hole. (they are adjustable!) How about you just buy my 04 s model and I'll throw in a speedymoto top tripple that alows you to raise the clip ons about 3/4 in! :D

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never really cared about being "vertically challenged" except when it has comes to motorcycles. Yrs ago I wanted a 750gsxr but the tank on those bikes were so fat I could barely touch. Who knows I'll probably get the s4rs and maybe I'll take some growth hormones , then i'll get the 999 :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's interesting how being use to something changes perception...

I bought an '05 999S last year without having sat on one and sold my Hayabusa. On my first ride I remember thinking to myself, "Oh shit! What have I done?!?!?" The bike seemed so tall, harsh and just plain weird... After one ride up the canyon I was in love.

About a six weeks ago, my Duc got a check engine light and a high charge condition was indicated on the guage. I had an appointment for the valve adjust a couple of weeks from then (a couple of weeks ago now) and couldn't get away to take it to Boise (120 miles) any sooner so I said, "F&*k it", bought a new GSX-R1000 for a spare. Don't get me wrong, the Gixxer is a fine bike but after riding it for a few weeks then getting back on my Duc999 I have to say, "There is no comparison"..."The 999 ROCKS!".

It's so much more stable and substantial feeling than the Gixxer yet really requires no more muscle to turn... Also, as I tell my friends, when riding the GSXR you want to have yourself situated on the seat where you want to be before you tip it in...It doesn't tolerate much moving around mid corner. On the other hand (as I describe it to my riding buddies), on the 999 you can be at full lean, eat a sandwich, scratch yourself then wave at the crowd and the thing just trucks along...No drama, no unexpected lane changes when you move around...The 999S is truly "the BOMB"!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ride on the 999 did feel very stable and I think the lighter weight of the gixxer makes it less stable?

·
comrade moderator
26,851 Posts
Did you like it or no? Ducati's are very sure-footed. You will get used to the riding position. Quit second-guessing yourself...if you want a Duc, go get one. If you're unsure, get another Universal Generic Japanese Sportbike.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its not going to be a jap bike again, a Duc for sure. The angle of my neck with the stock clipons was not good at all, and to buy one and hope the 2" risers will make the difference is the chance i'm taking. No one is going to set up a bike for me with the different bars to see if that will work or not? does that make sense.

Thanks

Don

·
Registered
128 Posts
hunduc said:
That was a concern of mine, because I didn't want to spend the extra $$ on the 999s and I'm thinking the 749s would'nt have enough grunt. I know the riding position is more aggresive ,but it makes one hesitate when your spending $16k + . I need to maybe take another ride on one, Dam demo route in Beaverton Oregon sucks I need some country roads to get familiar!!!

Thanks for the info
If you use to have a GSXR 1000 you would want a Duc 999. The 749 doesnt have as much grunt as the 1000's its fun on turns!!! But your gonna be looking for that power sooner or later cause you had it in the 1000cc GSXR.
108hp(749) compared to 140hp(999).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Keef95 said:
It's interesting how being use to something changes perception...

I bought an '05 999S last year without having sat on one and sold my Hayabusa. On my first ride I remember thinking to myself, "Oh shit! What have I done?!?!?" The bike seemed so tall, harsh and just plain weird... After one ride up the canyon I was in love.

About a six weeks ago, my Duc got a check engine light and a high charge condition was indicated on the guage. I had an appointment for the valve adjust a couple of weeks from then (a couple of weeks ago now) and couldn't get away to take it to Boise (120 miles) any sooner so I said, "F&*k it", bought a new GSX-R1000 for a spare. Don't get me wrong, the Gixxer is a fine bike but after riding it for a few weeks then getting back on my Duc999 I have to say, "There is no comparison"..."The 999 ROCKS!".

It's so much more stable and substantial feeling than the Gixxer yet really requires no more muscle to turn... Also, as I tell my friends, when riding the GSXR you want to have yourself situated on the seat where you want to be before you tip it in...It doesn't tolerate much moving around mid corner. On the other hand (as I describe it to my riding buddies), on the 999 you can be at full lean, eat a sandwich, scratch yourself then wave at the crowd and the thing just trucks along...No drama, no unexpected lane changes when you move around...The 999S is truly "the BOMB"!
Gee ..You are darn right....I rode my friends gixxer and that bike takes alot of the rider...You really have to position before you rip the turn and you have to pay attention to the bike or else your gonna get it!!!!On my Duc 749..I was doing turns comfortably like MotoGP style...I remember I just got off a tight off ramp turn and saw the green arrow to get back on the same freeway..So I just flopped the bike over really tight to cross a 4 lane hwy and get to the left turn back to the freeway...I remember seeing people at stop in their cars so as I was turning I gave e'm a peace sight....LOL...That was cool....and that was 2 consecutive tight turns riding at the edge of my tires.....Back to Back... You are definitly right about the Duc....But its what they call Love or Hate relationship....Some people love e'm and others Hate them....I love mine...

·
comrade moderator
26,851 Posts
Yes it does, Don.

I bought my 749 in February, in upstate NY. It was winter. Two months before I could ride it.
Anyhoo, I replaced the stock bars with Helibars before I ever rode the bike. I could tell sitting on the bike that they had to go.

I dumnno what to tell you...I guess if you can't find a bike to ride with higher bars on it, your gonna have to take a chance.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had a 01 748s before, and I used to ride my friend's 998 and 999 as well. After I sold my 01 748s, I bought the 05 GSXR1000. The gixxer is more unconfortable than the 999, but after a while I got used to its riding position.

I don't know why people are saying the GSXR is not as stable as the 999. I've rode both in the twisty and on the straights and the GSXR is just as stable as the 999. The only difference between the two is that the GSXR's front end gets a lot lighter when you hammer it. Both bikes have different riding styles that you have to get use to. I have no problems leaning the bike or changing directions while at full lean. I've actually noticed I can flick the GSXR from one lean angle to the other faster because it's lighter. The 999 is narrower though and I like the low end torque better on the 999 than the GSXR. On the GSXR you have to be at about 7k rpms to start getting something in 2nd gear.

Now if you want something really good for the twisty stuff you get a 2 stroke Aprilia RS250.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
hunduc said:

Thanks

Don
HAHA, you dwarf. JK, I'm at the exact height and inseam. Life is tough for us :( Screw the bike, getting pants off the rack that fit without tailoring is worse.

Try a 998 (or 916 series), they were made for us :) and they look nicer to boot!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have ridden a 748 and was not so aggresive

1 - 20 of 24 Posts