Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tried to start my 2003 999 this afternoon. It turned over, but didn't start...no big deal-pretty cold last night. Tried it again and the fuel pump winds up, and the clutch turns about a 1/4 turn and nothing. Tried again and the same. The check engine light appears as normal and then goes out.
So it sounds to be actually cranking once, then stopping and resetting itself? It will crank again, once, then stop, and reset....if this is a better description. All fuses are OK. Not the battery.....well I take that back. Put it on the BT for an hour or so and it cranked over. I assume that the cold weather we had last night was just enough to keep it from continuous cranking-but to be honest it seemed like an immobilizer issue. For now, after charging it's OK.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used to work an overnight shift and left my 2004 999 out on a particularly cold night and it wouldn't start by itself either. In my case though it appears the battery was a bit weak as I was able to jump-start it to life.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I used to work an overnight shift and left my 2004 999 out on a particularly cold night and it wouldn't start by itself either. In my case though it appears the battery was a bit weak as I was able to jump-start it to life.
How can you jump start the 999??? Just do it the same way ????

put it in N and then run with the bike and press starter ?

sorry for being thread jacker ~!!! I live at jersey city ~ where it gets pretty

cold ~~ I should figure out a way to keep my bike warm ~!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I live at jersey city ~ where it gets pretty

I would get an insulated bike blanket

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
Sounds like the battery is getting old. I notice that my older batteries do this when the weather turns cold, time for a new battery.

Tom

·
9,757 Posts

If you want to push start your bike you need to put the key in the "on" position, select 2nd gear, hold the clutch, run, jump on, and pop the clutch once the bike is going 8-10mph. If you're by a hill you're much better off.

Oh, and make sure you pull your clutch back in as soon as the bike starts cause it'll wanna buck forward.

If you've got a bit of juice left in the battery you can hit the starter button in conjunction with popping the clutch to better your odds of starting the bike.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
100 Posts

Actually I jump-started it the same way you would a car. I just took the left plastic off on the spot to get to the battery. Thankfully the 999 fairings are a snap to take off compared to, say, Japanese bikes which tend to have a thousand various bolts to unscrew before you can take them off... and even then you usually have to wrestle with them a bit.

·
Registered
463 Posts
HAHA, push starting an Italian V-twin....you guys make me laugh. I hope you have Superman legs and a tight grip.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I jump-started it the same way you would a car. I just took the left plastic off on the spot to get to the battery. Thankfully the 999 fairings are a snap to take off compared to, say, Japanese bikes which tend to have a thousand various bolts to unscrew before you can take them off... and even then you usually have to wrestle with them a bit.
+1 on the fairing removal! I've had the battery go bad or low before and it never did this......before it would tick, tick, tick, now it just barely eeks out a crank and stops. I put the BT charger on it in case and it seemed to do the trick....odd, thought it was a kickstand cut-off switch or immobilizer prob surely....speaking of new batteries...anyone using a SPEEDCELL ??? in their 999. A bit too expensive, just curious.
Thanks for your responses guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts