Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Actually there is a weight difference, the question is exactly how much. Dry weight specs (less battery and fluids) on 2003/4 models hover in 138lbs range, same dry weight on an 06 model the weight is actually closer to the mid 120's range. Ducati at the time claimed a 20lb savings, yet as an owner of base model 2003 and 2005 999 I don't recall the owners manual spec giving different dry weights. I have since sold the base 999 models in favor of my current 05 999s model, but there is no doubt having thrown a leg over & ridden both a bone stock 03 vs a bone stock 05, that the 05 is lighter. In reality is it 5lbs or 10+ I can't say.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
2003 999 weighed 438 lbs
2005 999 weighed 410 lbs

How much of this is down to different times of weighing i`m not so sure . If I remember rightly the early spec sheets were with oils etc and the newer ones without .

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Actually there is a weight difference, the question is exactly how much. Dry weight specs (less battery and fluids) on 2003/4 models hover in 138lbs range, same dry weight on an 06 model the weight is actually closer to the mid 120's range. Ducati at the time claimed a 20lb savings, yet as an owner of base model 2003 and 2005 999 I don't recall the owners manual spec giving different dry weights. I have since sold the base 999 models in favor of my current 05 999s model, but there is no doubt having thrown a leg over & ridden both a bone stock 03 vs a bone stock 05, that the 05 is lighter. In reality is it 5lbs or 10+ I can't say.
What scale you measuring in there DMC thats not much heavier than my bicycle .

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I can't understand why a 2003-04' would be heavier than and 05'+. didn't Ducati find a better way to make the fairings ( Terblend) which resulted in weight savings?
I believe they also lightened up a few internal gears? Except for the swinger and fairing/nose outside, gears and S spec cams inside...can't think much else.
IIRC the fairings were substantially lighter....

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Dry weight of the 2005 999 R was only 11 lbs lighter at 399 lbs and thats with a carbon fairing.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Dry weight of the 2005 999 R was only 11 lbs lighter at 399 lbs and thats with a carbon fairing.
Surprisingly the CF side fairings were heavy.... I think the real meat of the weight loss is with the 2003 rear cowl. I had a base cowl and swapped it for a complete CF rear 999R cowl. The weight difference was pretty substantial.
The nose also. Not sure on the side fairings when comparing 2005+ to 999R CF. The CF R fairings are gorgeous though!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I`d guessed that but only joking you know.
Thanks for the help...now can do something about getting the british show Top Gear back on in the US. The US version is horrible, and the other show 5th Gear is broadcasting here still but I really liked Top Gear

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Surprisingly the CF side fairings were heavy.... I think the real meat of the weight loss is with the 2003 rear cowl. I had a base cowl and swapped it for a complete CF rear 999R cowl. The weight difference was pretty substantial.
The nose also. Not sure on the side fairings when comparing 2005+ to 999R CF. The CF R fairings are gorgeous though!
Heavy , I dont think so , There as light as a kite . I think the paint is heavier than the fairing.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I'd bet the. Difference between the 03-04 and 05-06 is measured by ounces rather than pounds,swing arm difference is like the weight of a can of pop,fairings negligible too.otherwise they are near identical.ducatis posted weights are way off as well,heck a biposto is the same weight as a mono in their literature

·
Registered
461 Posts
not sure of the accuracy but from info on the web there is weight difference of a little over three pounds between the 03-04 and 05-06 models.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Thanks for the help...now can do something about getting the british show Top Gear back on in the US. The US version is horrible, and the other show 5th Gear is broadcasting here still but I really liked Top Gear
We get Top Gear on BBC America....sometimes it's on all afternoon and night and into the next morning. It's pretty popular.
Channel 189 locally on Verizon....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
We get Top Gear on BBC America....sometimes it's on all afternoon and night and into the next morning. It's pretty popular.
Channel 189 locally on Verizon....
Thanks. Sorry to take us off topic. I get the old re-runs, just wasn't sure if there were new shows or if they were off the air.

Regarding the original question....this thread may go on for days. No question the newer 999 is lighter, the real question of exactly how much I don't think we will ever get too.....unless someone had two bone stock 999 03 & 05 models to run up on the same scale with same fluild levels and all.

·
Registered
701 Posts
weight difference aside, there are major differences between 03 and 05 999.

Electrical issues ironed out. much better engine. updated swingarm

1 - 20 of 29 Posts