Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bill asked me to start a thread about the mods that I have effected to make my 2005 999S a touring bike.

Let's start this off with the understanding that there is no reasonable assertion that this process has turned this thing into an actual touring bike. It's still a superbike, it's still temperamental, and it's still not all that comfortable for 8-10 hour days, although that is what I do with it.

Also, understand that I'm 55 yrs old, have been riding since I was 14, and I think I'm still too young for a Harley or golf.

I bought the bike last Thanksgiving (2008) and have put about 8000km (5000 mi) on it since then. Up here we have all winter to modify stuff, so it's a 50/50 ride/wrench deal in this region.

It still carries the 15.5 liter fuel tank 4.1 gal = 200km / 125 mile range at 140-150 85-90 mph. I might go with the larger endurance unit if I win a lottery.

This is the list of mods and a few pics of the process along the way.

Termi 1/2 system - DP ECU - PC III - Dyno tuned to CO levels.
LSL clipon's with 1" rise and 5 degree slope (required remote master cylinder reservoirs)
Rizoma remote reservoirs and stand-offs
Rizoma Lux Billet Grips
Ducati-sport mirrors
Ducati gel seat (tried the Corbin but you can't move around on it like I prefer to, in the corners.
A bunch of bling - C/F front fender, hugger, heat shields, muffler cover, heel gards;
--open clutch cover, red pressure plate
38/14 525 chain/sprocket
90 Nm rear shock spring - replaces 70 Nm OEM spring (perfect for my 220 lb weight, without the luggage)
1 kg front fork springs - replaces 0.95 kg OEM springs (perfect for my 220 lb weight, without the luggage)
Fabbri solo pista windshield
120/70 - 180/55 Michelin 2CT tires
air horn :D
GP-shift conversion (I started on a Norton Commando)

Givi Wingrack - custom-made mount to biposto subframe using muffler bolt and Pax-peg attachment points. A friend teaches CNC machining at the local tech school (he's handy to know:))

--located with center of mass at the front edge of the Pax-seat pad. Max weight 30 kg / 65 lb (rides like a child passenger- more work to drop into corners and slower to flick, but still turns in relatively neutral but drives out a little wide).

--mounts 2X 21 liter side bags and 54 liter top bag in any combo.

This winter's project::think:
SSSA
-from 998
-with 848 wheel

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some pics...................

On the road..... on the way to the "Road to the Sun" near Kalispell, MT.

As she sits between road-trips

Ready to roll out

The Wingrack interface

The cockpit

Something fell off! (prep for my first adventure with Mr. Desmodromic)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
From one older guy to another, also not ready for a golf cart or Harley, I applaud you :). I ride my 05 999s on 4 hr trips when I can. I have a nice backpack for day trips. My only mod is heli-bars, and always full leathers.

I bought a GT1000 last year, never ride it. The 999s is to much fun.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Need to join the crowd

Ok, Brian I want in, also.
My 2006 999S has just got back from Death Valley, from San Francisco.
I too change out my monoposta rear subframe to a biposta so I can throw on my extra large rear bag without damaging the Deci rear tail peice. But when not traveling long distances, I throw the monoposta assembly back on
Also LSL bars, rear sets, 27mm offset triples, and the best part, a 5.8 gallon Fuel-Cell tank, gotta love it.
Finally got my suspension straightened out, and I have to say this, this thing rocks on the back roads, which is where I mostly stay......1500 miles on a few days on "J" is the way I go!

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
347 Posts
Good post. I have ridden mostly Harleys with a few Hondas and Beemers along the way. Usually take a couple of week-long trips on my Harley each year. Don't like the touring Harleys or the GoldWings or any of those kinds of bikes because their conveniences get in the way of the motorcycling experience. But I really do enjoy living on the bike for a week at a time. It cleans out the gunk. Simplifies.

I got interested in the 848 when it first came out. Not sure why it took this long. I bought my first Ducati this year, an 06 800SS I bought used to see whether I liked living with Ducatis or not. I'm crazy nuts out of my mind in love with the bike. Hope to get the 848 in late 2010 or 2011.

The problem with loving a bike so much is that I want to take it with me on those long trips. Wasn't sure how I was going to do that. Your post gives me hope.

ape

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes.... this could be the start of some Fogey trouble.....

My kid is enrolled at NTPS at Mojave for the year, starting January 4, 2010. A couple of us thought we'd trailer the Ducs down to Vegas and run a little loop east around the Big Ditch, south to Phoenix, Northwest to Lk Havasu City, and back to Vegas, as our late winter trip this year.

Any of you guys want to slide out and show us the way? 848's are welcome to attend! :)

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Thanks for the post. I have always liked the Art Deco looks of the 999. I wish Ducati had followed suit when they redid the ST series in 2004.

I test rode a 999 at Ducati Seattle when they first came out and did not think the ergos were that bad. My understanding is the 999/749 have the most relaxed ergos of all the Superbikes.

Given the areas I ride, I need at least a 200 mile gas tank on a touring bike.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's an aluminum 23 liter (6 gal) unit = 210 mi.... for $2400.00.

It's from Moto Works in Japan.

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
Nice SuperTouring bike you built there! :D

The only thing i would look at to improve it further
* Throttleholder - makes a big diffrence
* GPS and Radarwarner mount - Just to keep an eye on where you are and where the "fuzz" is.
* Lower rearsets/pegs - Every inch helps!
* Maybe a lighter repull spring on the throttle? You have dualpulleywires anyway..

I really like the bag setup there.. Looks very slick.
As for a bigger fueltank, i would just carry a 1 or 2 quart aluminium "flammable liquids" bottle with gas as an emergency back up when going long distance. That would give you a 60-70 miles emergency range once you actually run out of fuel. Alot cheaper then buying a $1300+ gastank that has to be painted aswell.

//amullo

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
You are my hero. More accurately, your back and neck are my hero. :)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nice SuperTouring bike you built there! :D

The only thing i would look at to improve it further
* Throttleholder - makes a big diffrence
* GPS and Radarwarner mount - Just to keep an eye on where you are and where the "fuzz" is.
* Lower rearsets/pegs - Every inch helps!
* Maybe a lighter repull spring on the throttle? You have dualpulleywires anyway..

I really like the bag setup there.. Looks very slick.
As for a bigger fueltank, i would just carry a 1 or 2 quart aluminium "flammable liquids" bottle with gas as an emergency back up when going long distance. That would give you a 60-70 miles emergency range once you actually run out of fuel. Alot cheaper then buying a $1300+ gastank that has to be painted aswell.

//amullo
Some good points there!

I tried the Throttlemeister on previous bikes and didn't like the variation of speed that attends changes in road pitch. A personal preference, for sure. I have used a "cramp-buster" and that's an OK device for slab-riding.

I am having a new top triple "Ring Nut" made that will have a threaded hole for a Ram Mount ball. V-1 and GPS anyone?:D

At 6'1" with 34" inseam I like the OEM fit in the seat-to-pegs area. It's actually why I bought the 999 rather than the 998....

I don't find the throttle springing a bother. Perhaps twisting necks all day keeps that bunch of muscles in shape...;)

Great idea on the aluminum fuel bottle. It'll store in the side-bag nicely!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Brian,
Nice work with the 999S. MY 996 wasn't comfortable enough to ride long days either so here are the mods I made for sport touring.

CycleCat adjustable rear sets.
SWATT clip-ons with 2 1/2" rise. Shaved the upper fairing and moved the new Rizoma reservoirs back for clearance.
Gel grips
Fast by Ferracci high wind screen
Corbin Seat
Garmin GPS wired to the battery
12V accessory plug for heated clothing
Ventura luggage rack

Attachments

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I bow down and worship your dedication, and enthusiasm.
Thats how I want to roll when I am able to retire. Being able to tour the US. at 100 mph with gear for a week plus is a dream I want to live out.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brian,
Nice work with the 999S. MY 996 wasn't comfortable enough to ride long days either so here are the mods I made for sport touring.

CycleCat adjustable rear sets.
SWATT clip-ons with 2 1/2" rise. Shaved the upper fairing and moved the new Rizoma reservoirs back for clearance.
Gel grips
Fast by Ferracci high wind screen
Corbin Seat
Garmin GPS wired to the battery
12V accessory plug for heated clothing
Ventura luggage rack
Ah ha!! That's what I was looking for!!

It's always great to know that you have company on the far side!!:D

·
Registered
813 Posts

Helibars, Bags-Connection Cargobag, tankbag(It looks tall, but it's actually not that bad), Navi clamped to the top of the showa..

That's how I tour.. 500 miles a day with no problems.. I call her a sporttouring bike.

·
Registered
871 Posts

Helibars, Bags-Connection Cargobag, tankbag(It looks tall, but it's actually not that bad), Navi clamped to the top of the showa..

That's how I tour.. 500 miles a day with no problems.. I call her a sporttouring bike.
I think we should start a Superbike Touring Category!!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Touring 999/996/??

Yes touring on a Superbike does have its good sides. You can have a great time, blast twisty roads, be able to keep up with anything, and give those short brusts of Superbike power, whenever needed. Also riding something that responds through ESP with you is great.
Using my biposta rear seat assembly, and putting an extra large bag on the back with 6 bungie cords, me and my friends (12 of them all on sport bikes) just did 1800 miles, all on twisty back roads in 4 days, got to love it! Yet I was the only Duc, Aprilia's/Honda's/Suzuki's/KTM's followed closely!!!!

I'm using Gilles rearsets, which help in foot positions, with the larger gas tank (composite) I do not run a tank bag, nothing to stick to, and I hate the 3 or 4 staps that hold on other tank bags.

Yet sadly, winter is coming to the west coast, and it's getting brisk out there, dammit! Time to jump back on the dual-sport and spin some mud around, my Aprilia 2008 RXV550 is up for the task in that area.

As I just have to ride!!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yes touring on a Superbike does have its good sides. You can have a great time, blast twisty roads, be able to keep up with anything, and give those short brusts of Superbike power, whenever needed. Also riding something that responds through ESP with you is great.
Using my biposta rear seat assembly, and putting an extra large bag on the back with 6 bungie cords, me and my friends (12 of them all on sport bikes) just did 1800 miles, all on twisty back roads in 4 days, got to love it! Yet I was the only Duc, Aprilia's/Honda's/Suzuki's/KTM's followed closely!!!!

I'm using Gilles rearsets, which help in foot positions, with the larger gas tank (composite) I do not run a tank bag, nothing to stick to, and I hate the 3 or 4 staps that hold on other tank bags.

Yet sadly, winter is coming to the west coast, and it's getting brisk out there, dammit! Time to jump back on the dual-sport and spin some mud around, my Aprilia 2008 RXV550 is up for the task in that area.

As I just have to ride!!!
I went to the Bags-Connection tank bag (twistedthrottle.com) no straps or magnets. Snaps to a ring which is bolted to the gas cap. Nicest tank bag system I've seen.

Still riding on the east coast whenever the temps are above 50 degrees :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Your setup looks very neat. I guess if you want real SPORT touring, that is the way to go. I'll stick with my Multistrada though :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts