Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock Michelin Pilot Powers lasted almost 2,000 miles. Fairly aggressive street riding. Replaced them with Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3's and was very impressed with their level of grip and feel. Now 300-500 hard miles later there's threads showing on an 18 inch strip in the very center but the shoulders are fine. These are the dual compound, hard center / soft shoulders.

Anyway, I can't afford constantly buying tires so I would appreciate some input. I'll probably go back to Pilot Powers, but I figured I'd see how you are making out.

p.s. It seems like the rubber burns right off between 6&10k rpms.

·
Registered
56 Posts
BT016's

those tires are awesome...

i rode from toronto ontario to las vegas and back,all supper slab 30 percent was concrete <broom sweept, HARD on tires), all above the "normal" limit, 16 hour days, those tires never cooled down..

got back have over 70 percent tread depth.

but the rear kicker in that 3 compound rear. i really liked it. confidance inspiring. and SUPER sticy cold on the very edge.. and a pretty good base price..
when these corsa iii's are done i am switching back

anyways thats M.H.O.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I like the Pilot Powers! Good grip, good price, I usually get a good amount of milage out of them, and you can use them on the track.

My Dad had Corsa IIIs on his 1098 and they had a horrible tread life.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Im having great luck with my Pilot Power 2CTs.

Flash

·
Registered
797 Posts
500 miles and Corsa III's are gone????

Do you like doing burn outs? aggressive riding for many does not wear those tires out that fast, and since the sides are fine, then one can only assume that lighting up the rear tire is something you do quite often.

What air pressure are you running?

These Corsa III's are excellent tires, and under most people's aggressive riding most see 2k miles +.

I can normally get 3k miles out of my Corsa III's whether they are on my 996sps or the 999s on the street.
I get 800 track day miles, but my track day tires are gone on the sides and look decent in the middle.

Hmmmm.

Stock Michelin Pilot Powers lasted almost 2,000 miles. Fairly aggressive street riding. Replaced them with Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3's and was very impressed with their level of grip and feel. Now 300-500 hard miles later there's threads showing on an 18 inch strip in the very center but the shoulders are fine. These are the dual compound, hard center / soft shoulders.

Anyway, I can't afford constantly buying tires so I would appreciate some input. I'll probably go back to Pilot Powers, but I figured I'd see how you are making out.

p.s. It seems like the rubber burns right off between 6&10k rpms.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Pilot power with 5,890 miles. Just changed it. Went with another set of PP, just changed the profile from 190 to 180 so I could use more of the sidewall.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel foolish admitting, but yes I got less than 500 miles on a brand new Corsa 3 rear. No burn outs, just hard acceleration between twisties. I do have a 39t rear sprocket, open exhaust, and I like the first gear wheelies. Accasionally I get some rear end sliding during hard braking and downshifting into corners. Like I said before, under hard acceleration in high revs the rubber seems to just roll off.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Extremely aggressive riding world you pay to play. And if this is done on the street, and the sides of your tire are fine, then you are not using most of ANY track focused tire, forget the sticky stuff, you're wasting your $$$.

Since you are not riding the sides harder than middle stay away from the grippy rubbers.

All joking aside, Continental makes a long lasting harder rubber tire that I have used on my long distance Kawasaki ZX12R machine, this bike weighs 550 lbs, 170RWHP, and I get 5k miles beating the crap out of it. They have a great profile, stable tire, sounds funny but I went to Cabo in Mexico and back with this tire and hauled ass the whole time.

Cheers,
Mark

I feel foolish admitting, but yes I got less than 500 miles on a brand new Corsa 3 rear. No burn outs, just hard acceleration between twisties. I do have a 39t rear sprocket, open exhaust, and I like the first gear wheelies. Accasionally I get some rear end sliding during hard braking and downshifting into corners. Like I said before, under hard acceleration in high revs the rubber seems to just roll off.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I love my BT-002RS tires, but if your wearing through those other tires that fast you'll kill these in no time. They are a great street tire with a great soft compound for the track, (dual compound front with single compound rear) Granted I only got in 2 trackdays and 5000 miles I have had no complaints about them. Somewhat inexpensive as well if you know where to look!

·
Registered
464 Posts
+1 on the BT-016s

·
Registered
81 Posts
180/55 fan. I even used that size on my old Hayabusa. The guys at the parts counter at the local dealership would always ask me why I didn't want a 200 shinko or other tire designed for the fat-assed and chromed. I like Dunlop Qualifiers, cheap and sticky. Going to try the new Avon VP2 Extremes in a month or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts