Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a second hand termi slip on muffler for my 999 that I am going to install. The termi came with the air filters and a damaged mid pipe. Can't really be repaired so I was wanting to know if I can use my OEM mid pipe with the cat removed??? And can anyone please give some advice on removing the cat? Also plan to use the OEM ECU and fit a PC3.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
A challenge. Can you post a pic of the mid pipe. Curious why it can not be repaired. If you are going to remove the cat, you will have to cut the tube any way. Lets take a look. I take it it did not come with the termi ECU.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just cored the stock midpipe from my 999 and it's not that difficult at all. Just cut the the cat in half length wise and pry out the cat and all the little bits stuck to the pipe. Then just weld the top half piece back in and you don't have to remove the entire cat section.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A challenge. Can you post a pic of the mid pipe. Curious why it can not be repaired. If you are going to remove the cat, you will have to cut the tube any way. Lets take a look. I take it it did not come with the termi ECU.
The damaged mid pipe could be repaired but probably too time consuming and costly. The right hand foot peg has well deformed the pipe and that section would need to be cut out and another welded in. I would need to take the bike into the exhaust man too so he could do the repair in-situ to ensure alignment is retained at each end of the mid pipe. Otherwise it might not line up on installation with the header pipe, muffler and attach bracket on the frame. So my thought was to cut a hole in the cat on the OEM mid pipe and pick out the cat then weld the pipe back up. Alignment of OEM pipe would not be affected. Being a cheap skate I know! And no DP ECU came with the syst, hence the reason for hoping to get away with a PC3 and original ECU.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just cored the stock midpipe from my 999 and it's not that difficult at all. Just cut the the cat in half length wise and pry out the cat and all the little bits stuck to the pipe. Then just weld the top half piece back in and you don't have to remove the entire cat section.
Great to hear that it has been done before. Was the material that the cat is made of soft and easy to break up and pick out? And does the process leave a smooth surface on the inside of the pipe where it was removed?
Are you going to retain the OEM muffler or are you using a termi or other slip on arangement? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
89 Posts
No, the cat leaves a ton of little thin metal pieces stuck to the inside of the pipe. I used a die grinder with a 2" grinding wheel to smooth out the inside before I welded the top back on. I also cut the top of the oem muffler off and removed the cat for the rear cylinder as well. I cut out some baffles and welded the top back on. The muffler was a big ordeal, but the pipe was an easy job. I actually just started the bike yesterday to hear what it sounds like and it sounds slightly quieter than the termi half system. Now I can pull the stock system to sell it and reinstall the termi. I will let you know if the termi muffler will fit the stock pipes, and I think it will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the cat leaves a ton of little thin metal pieces stuck to the inside of the pipe. I used a die grinder with a 2" grinding wheel to smooth out the inside before I welded the top back on. I also cut the top of the oem muffler off and removed the cat for the rear cylinder as well. I cut out some baffles and welded the top back on. The muffler was a big ordeal, but the pipe was an easy job. I actually just started the bike yesterday to hear what it sounds like and it sounds slightly quieter than the termi half system. Now I can pull the stock system to sell it and reinstall the termi. I will let you know if the termi muffler will fit the stock pipes, and I think it will.
Glad to hear that the pipe was an easy job. And something that I should be able to attempt! Except for the welding. Be good to hear if the termi did fit onto the stock pipe. But I agree, I think it will. Thanks for you comments

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm curious about the change in sound if any --

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm curious about the change in sound if any --
with both cats removed and the baffles massaged a bit inside the muffler, it sounds a few Db quieter than the termi system. I'm sure it wouldn't make any difference in sound if you just removed the front cat and left the rest of the stock exhaust alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts