Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found out that I have a bi posto subframe with a mono seat. Ok, it looks like shit but here's the rub. It's a much stronger frame. I'm 250 (no comments now!) and have heard the problems with even lots lighter peeps braking the subframe on their mono's subframe and having to weld it back together.

Several questions come to mind. Do I get a mono subframe? Do I modify the bipo frame to mono? Is there a stronger mono subframe to support my fat arse? I'll try to take some pics tonight and post up what it looks like. I mean it's not that bad and you'd have to really look at it to see it, it's just that it's not right and I want it right. But I don't want it to break either. :mad:

·
Registered
698 Posts
My understanding and unfortunate experience is that the 03/04 mono subframe snapped behind the rider ie the single tube that holds up the exhaust can. The problem is supposedly fixed in 05 with a stronger welded and bigger bracket version.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The aluminum frame isn't that bad. Its the titanium DP one that falls apart. The way its held together is pretty strong... though you might wanna stop watching NASCAR... LOL :rolleyes:
:D It would easy to blame the arse on couching for La Frances but truth is I hate NASCAR with a passion. If I'm not on the track or riding on Sundays I'm trying to rest :sleep: . Tye, I'm talking about just a cheapy $300 subframe fix or something and not some $3000 one. Where are the sponsors when you one, or two, or three....or

BTW congrats on the Champ man! (thumbs up)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding and unfortunate experience is that the 03/04 mono subframe snapped behind the rider ie the single tube that holds up the exhaust can. The problem is supposedly fixed in 05 with a stronger welded and bigger bracket version.
Good friend, smallish gal, her trip 9 frame broke but she didn't even notice it until she was detailing it one day. Another friend came over and tigged it back. I was thinking of having him do the same for my frame. I'm thinking of keeping the attach points and moding the rear section of the frame to match the mono is where I'm headed if no other solution is found. That way I'll have the suport for aforementioned arse and no worries of having an unfortunate incident. :eek:

·
Registered
698 Posts
I didn't notice mine either. I got home at night after a long tiring blast in the canyons and found the pipe almost rubbing the rear tire. On the later sub frame there is a sleeve to strengthen the weld/joint. Pro Italia were super cool and replaced my 04 with the later one under warranty.

·
Registered
444 Posts
a friend's 749r subframe broke at the tabs that hold the seat on. i had an aftermarket al subframe from ducati omaha and no problems.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
there is nothing wrong in riding a biposto subframe with mono seat.
A mono subframe is aluminum and biposto is steel. I would stick with steel if you are concerned with strength (it was designed for 2 people).
if you are concerned about cracking, you could find a welder and have them reinforce it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
what about one of the longer tail sections available that cover the section of the subframe sticking out now
Im a super heavyweight and i wanted to stick with the biposto frame as i may just want to change it back some day... only a 20 min job if i wanted...

Anyway... this is the genuine Ducati longer tail to cover up the bi-posto frame... I think it looks better then the mono posto, as the mono lets too much of that letter box for an exhaust hang out to far... i dont know, each to their own :)

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts