Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I went to a dealer which has a 999S for sale. The bike comes with a Termignoni slip on, with stock pipes. The dealer told me that for street riding purposes the stock pipes would give a smoother ride because of the extra back pressure, which leads to a smoother low end.

He went on further to explain that a bigger pipe only has advantages on the race track where you are gunning at over 10k rpm constantly in order to get rid of huge exhaust flow.

My question is what is the dimension of the stock pipes, and which aftermarket Termignoni pipe dimensions are available for a 999s from 2006.
Can any dimension pipe bolt onto any exhaust slip on?
And in your opinion does street riding benefit from bigger pipes?
Tried to use the search to no avail

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have a set of stock pipes I can measure for you. The stock system uses different flanges then after market termis, 54 mm and 57 mm being the majority of the systems I have seen, with that said, you can't take a can from a 54 or 57 mm system and simply replace the stock one. I think the half systems or slip on systems came with pipes that mated to the existing stock system and allowed the use of the termi can. Also the stock system was asymmetrical and used two different sized pipes, the purpose as I understand it was to try and equalize the flow of longer pipes from the horizontal to the shorter vertical pipes, I don't know if it accomplished the theory. I have read that bigger pipes while claiming to add horsepower often leave hole in the power band. But bigger pipes do flow better, especially with built motors, and you may be taking a step backwards by putting bigger pipes on a stock motor. That however has never stopped me from converting to bigger full systems, they look awesome and sound even better. Fran

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Fran, If you would be able to measure the pipes it would be appreciated.
Yesterday I went to the dealer again and test-drive. Bike handles awesome.
The sound is also out of this world. Termignoni with cat removed.
Most probably I'll buy the bike. Don't know about upgrading yet. We'll see about that in the future. First I need to water the money three :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
I won't get to it for a week, (I don't think) but will do it upon my return heading out to the Moto GP, FWIW, the stock cans look similar to Termi's and are often cored, real Termi's are without cats. If i can grab a few minutes I will measure the pipes tomorrow. The earlier Termi's have the same sized pipes and are round, and are found on 749's and 999's with cast swing arm, the boxed swing armed 749's and 999's have flattened areas just ahead of the right side of the swing arm for clearance issues, just some more info that floats into my head. Fran

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you change to larger pipes you must change the maps (ignition and fuelling) in the ECU as well. The bike will run without doing this of course, but worse than with the stock setup. This, ideally, also applies if only ditching the stock endcan for something a bit more open.

Changing the fuel mapping can be done in several ways (piggyback units, like Powercommander), but any change in fuelling should ideally also be reflected in a change in ignition timing. This means either swapping out the stock ECU for a Ducati Performance one ($$$) or an after-market one (even more $$$) like Nemesis-2 or something similar.

Or, as a cheaper option, you could have your stock ECU reflashed by a number of companies offering this service, or you can do it yourself using Ducatidiag. Advantage of DD is that once you've paid the 100 Euro license fee, you can reflash your ECU as many times as you want, whenever you want or need. So you could have one map for normal street riding and another for track-days, for example.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts