Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through a ton of posts on this issue and I havent found anything that matches my issues so Im hoping some one can help out.
so the issue is that i cant get the starter to spin over the solinoid will click one time and nothing at the starter
the things I have done
replaced the relay
replaced the battery
replaced the starter switch
checked voltage to and past the relay (actually i think it is a solenoid)
i can jump the lugs with a screwdriver and the starter spins
on the solenoid plug when it is disconnected and I check the one attached to the wiring harness i get 12v for a few seconds (like I should) when you have it on and press the starter button
when it is plugged in and I hit the starter button i get .3ishVolts on the lug of the solenoid that goes to the starter motor.
I have a Mathis tester and the only code it comes up with says (Starter: Pin: B1) i have no idea what that means. I have the workshop manuals but they all have the Mathsis replacement touch screen tool not the Mathsis which makes this a bit tough. the notebook that came with the Mathis I have doesn't have any diagnostics info just accessories.
Im at a loss and their is no Ducati techs in a 3 hr drive for me. Im building this bike with a group of HS kids and i was hoping to get this done by graduation which is next thursday since 3/4 of the team building this graduate then. Any and all help would be super helpfull
Also if anyone has any documentation/how to use fully on the Mathsis or an older 999 service manual which uses the Mathsis for runing the tests please point me in the direction of how I can get my hands on it.
Thanks
RichieD

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
How low does the battery voltage get?

What is the peak amperage when you try to start (need a clamp style ammeter for this)?

Have you pulled the solenoid out and tested it by itself?

When I had a 999, I had a slow starter. Installed motoelectric cables and installed a new Shorai battery which helped. I was finding that the peak amperage was ~90 amps, but after I installed the kit I had no problem pushing 130+ amps thru the new wiring.

If you eliminate the battery, cables & connections, and the solenoid...it has to either be the starting motor or the sprag.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The voltage is around 12.8 ish
Ill try the peak amprage trick after school today and get back on that
I pulled the solenoid (the new one) and gave it 12ish volts no dice
when I jump the solenoid the starter spins up
thanks for the input

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I got around 50 amps off the battery. I'm starting to unwind the harness tape tommrow to look for any brakes. Has anyone run into this before? Any info would be real helpful? Also does anyone have an ecu harness for a 999 up for Sale? I'm getting desperate but it im broke for this project so maybe I have something to trade I have a few extras for xx9 bikes. Not much but let me know what you need. Or let me know what you need for your harness and we will go from their.
Thanks
Rich

·
Vendor
484 Posts
Ok I got around 50 amps off the battery. I'm starting to unwind the harness tape tommrow to look for any brakes. Has anyone run into this before? Any info would be real helpful? A

lso does anyone have an ecu harness for a 999 up for Sale? I'm getting desperate but it im broke for this project so maybe I have something to trade I have a few extras for xx9 bikes. Not much but let me know what you need. Or let me know what you need for your harness and we will go from their.
Thanks
Rich
There is a connector that goes into the solenoid, they are the trigger wires from the starter button.

Do you get 12.2+V to the terminals in that connector when you push the starter button?

If you do and the solenoid does not get the same voltage at the terminal to the starter then the starting circuit is the issue.

The 749-999 bikes have a circuit with a lot of losses.

Other things could be the starter being worn, the sprag clutch being worn or the intermediate gear being worn.

Any of the above will cause a drag that causes the starter motor to draw excess current.

We've had about 150 749-999 riders with the same types of issues and upgrading the starter circuit helped all but a couple who had worn out their starters through excess cranking.

If things are right, your bike will start in less than 1 second.

Tearing into the loom is not the best approach since in our experience there has never been an issue with a break in a lead.

HTH.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
SPRAG CLUTCH would be my guess, I replaced mine last winter.

If all the electrics are OK, then the mechanical's are the next place to look.
Does it cough and fart, shoot flames and backfire?

Craig

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I have photos of a F**ked sprag if it helps.

Craig

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get over 12v to the solinoid through the plug and I get 12+ to one side of the selonoid when button is pushed. The solinoid clicks one time but if I have a multimeter on the other lug of the solinoid it has 0 to .3v. I can jump the lugs and the starter will spin. I also directly charged the starter with the battery and it also spun up. Does anyone have a mathisis tool? If so I her a code of B1 when I go through the diognosis it says starter circuit starter pin B1 I have no idea what that means if anyone knows I would greatly appreciate info

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I get over 12v to the solinoid through the plug and I get 12+ to one side of the selonoid when button is pushed. The solinoid clicks one time but if I have a multimeter on the other lug of the solinoid it has 0 to .3v. I can jump the lugs and the starter will spin. I also directly charged the starter with the battery and it also spun up. Does anyone have a mathisis tool? If so I her a code of B1 when I go through the diognosis it says starter circuit starter pin B1 I have no idea what that means if anyone knows I would greatly appreciate info
You need 13.5v plus but ignore my advice at your peril.

Craig

·
Vendor
484 Posts
Okay,

with a fully charged battery, the voltage should be between 12.65 and 12.85 with the key off.

Check for that.

Then when you turn the key on, it will drop to somewhere close to 12.2.

You should see that voltage at one of the pins from the starter button.

You should see the same voltage at the solenoid terminal from the battery.

When you push the starter button you should see very close to the same voltage at the terminal going to the starter.

If you do all of the above, you should see the same voltage at the starter motor stud.

If you have the 12.2 on one side of the solenoid but not the other then that is the issue, you need a new solenoid as the first step in sort out your problem.

HTH.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I can jump the lugs and the starter will spin. I also directly charged the starter with the battery and it also spun up.
So, it SOUNDS like when U bypass the solenoid, the starter "spins up". Is it doing so a a decent cranking speed?

If so, it sounds to me like UR solenoid is bad.

Toss any generic solenoid in there for a test and see.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so....... We got it to work. And now I under stand the entire circuit and pissing a bunch of $ and time the problem was the battery. The new battery we got was bad go figure. No one can understand it but the new one worked. Any way thanks all for all the help on this! On another note does anyone have a 2003-04 service manual? I have the 2005-06 manual but that has the DDS in it and directions for troubleshooting using that. I have the Mathisis set up and would really love to have the directions for that? Please let me know if anyone has anything for sale or trade or something please let me know
Thanks
Rich:grin2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts