Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuse (20A) for the starter on my 999 keeps blowing. I'd get one start out of a fuse, but once the bike starts, I'd have to replace the fuse if I want to start it again.

Any low hanging fruit solution to this problem?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had this problem on my 749 and it appears to have been corrected by adjusting the horn wires. Perhaps while riding, one of the wires vibrated against the frame and shorted. After checking the starter and tail light for problems, and finding none, the horn seems to be the only other path in the 20A circuit. No fuse blown since this 'fix'.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had this problem on my 749 and it appears to have been corrected by adjusting the horn wires. Perhaps while riding, one of the wires vibrated against the frame and shorted. After checking the starter and tail light for problems, and finding none, the horn seems to be the only other path in the 20A circuit. No fuse blown since this 'fix'.
I have an LED tail light bulb... I wonder if that would have something to do with it?!? Although I do believe it didn't blow fuses when I first installed that. Maybe I should trace the horn wires. Did you find exposed copper in your horn wires that had the potential to short?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would guess if the starter fuse is blowing then to much amperage is being drawn. Could be a weak battery. As voltage decreases amperage goes up. Or possibly faulty cable. Most likely a combination of corroded starter and cable connections. Clean every thing up and use some dielectric. Check cables for resistance and replace if needed. At least that is what I would do. Worse case could be be a bad starter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Me too

My bike has been in the shop for over a month. My 20 amp fuse keeps blowing intermit. They have only been able to reproduce this when the bike gets hot. They still have no solution and the $$$ keep adding up

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would think you should only be charged after they have a solution and the time it takes to fix it. Or at least random fault finding shouldn`t cost the same as normal labour.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, after over 2 months in the shop they still don't know. I have decided to just go get the bike. Seems now they " think" its the ECU but in reality they don't know and don't want to fool with it anymore. I am going to replace the 20 amp fuse with a 20 amp circuit breaker and just ride it as a track day bike. Will take stab at selling it with full disclosure but don't expect any offers. Just sucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts