Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Don't have any ether around either, but could probably try that this weekend. The fact that there's less than 2 week old gas coming from the injectors makes me doubt it would help but can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
889 Posts
don't think the spark is constant-appears to tail off to zip.have a spare set of known working set of coils? does the starter keep engaged when tapping the start button? shutting it off by turning the key off? bypass/disconnect the stand + clutch switches-maybe 1 is bad.bypass the kill switch.maybe anti theft is engaged-bad ecu?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Spark looked the same to me across just about every combo of four plugs four coils and both coil plugs on the harness. I press and release the starter button, and it does it's own thing until either it starts (in the old days) it senses a failed start, or I hit the kill switch. I have only been stopping things with the kill switch, not by turning the key. I'll look into the switches you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
It has strong spark from your video, but seams like it stops firing near the end? Unless somebody pulled the flywheel out and removed a timing gear and did not reassemble correctly. You can assume ignition timing is good. Not sure if somebody monkeyed with the belts at some point and bent the valves, or totally forked the lash and the exhaust does not fully close. I have seen both happen, that’s my reasoning for checking compression. I think most likely a bad electrical connection (like a wire pushing back in the plastic connector and just barley making or intermittent contact....or you plugged in something wrong during the swap.
I currently have a Running 999 on the lift now with it’s clothes Off and air box open. I also have another engine on the stand nearly built. If you can think of a need let me know and I can verify any wiring or anything else the group thinks of with some pictures for you...just let me know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Intermittent contact seems like it would explain why the dash went blank after some vibration at the battery box too. I'll start with the switches 2004 mentioned above, but I'm not sure how to take a methodical approach of looking for a loose contact after that. Maybe elbow grease is as much methodology as I get for this one.

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Evening Grumpus. Now I’m fucked if know what’s going on here. Good fuel. Good spark. WTF.
The reason I usually reach for the ether is that for some reason, and I don’t know why, a lung full of the stuff seems to get a recalcitrant bike a kick start to life. Sound odd for a tuned bike but sometimes it works. Try this first before ripping more bits off. The lack of spark halfway during cranking is odd. Would be good to see both plugs side by side to see if both act the same.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
On the wiring side. The 999 in my shop now Was subjected to poor storage and salt. came in with Dash would not light up, then it would, but no crank, then finally crank but weak spark and no fuel injecting....in the end the ignition switch was trash...as usual on Ducati. 2 jumpers will eliminate the switch from fouling up your troubleshooting. The second problem which was intermittent, the relay down in the battery box bad...easy To eliminate $10 at any parts store . However the metal connectors for the relay were corroded and cleaned up. But one of the connectors would push back and not fully engage the relay contact. Finally I cut off and soldered new connections on that relay connection... I found the wires were corroded inside the insulation several inches up. Sometimes the bike would run fine, then not start, even had everything go dead while test riding it (due to the stupid F-ing relay I had to push the bitch back). Yours is a strange one, but I would think a bad connection if it’s wiring related. I would try and bypass ignition switch and make certain that relay is positively good and well connected while continuing to troubleshoot.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
By the way, I still would check compression to eliminate that and would also check cam timing is still correct....to eliminate either as a possibility while troubleshooting. Mostly because you do not know exactly what was done with this motor you purchased. You would think unlikely, but it never ceases to amaze me with what people do and fail to disclose...in troubleshooting I always try to eliminate as many factors as I can.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The service manual is pretty good generally, but the electronics section isn't especially intuitive to me. Is there a relay other than the fuel pump relay in the battery box?

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
On the wiring side. The 999 in my shop now Was subjected to poor storage and salt. came in with Dash would not light up, then it would, but no crank, then finally crank but weak spark and no fuel injecting....in the end the ignition switch was trash...as usual on Ducati. 2 jumpers will eliminate the switch from fouling up your troubleshooting. The second problem which was intermittent, the relay down in the battery box bad...easy To eliminate $10 at any parts store . However the metal connectors for the relay were corroded and cleaned up. But one of the connectors would push back and not fully engage the relay contact. Finally I cut off and soldered new connections on that relay connection... I found the wires were corroded inside the insulation several inches up. Sometimes the bike would run fine, then not start, even had everything go dead while test riding it (due to the stupid F-ing relay I had to push the bitch back). Yours is a strange one, but I would think a bad connection if it’s wiring related. I would try and bypass ignition switch and make certain that relay is positively good and well connected while continuing to troubleshoot.
Morning TiDuc. The relay you are referring to is the fuel pump relay that lives in the bottom the battery box. If it wasn’t working the fuel pump wouldn’t prime and Grumpus wouldn’t have the injectors working. As an FIY, these should be mounted with the pins FACING DOWN AND heat shrink over the pins to stop water getting to into the relay and pins.

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Morning Grumpus. If it doesn’t fire up with a good couple or tries of ether then I think it may be time to delve into the cam timing. Belts first then tiki gears behind the flywheel. If it gets to the point of the flywheel coming off the get it lightened. Works a treat on the 999. When it’s running of course. Ducati will make a mechanic out of you yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I took apart the kill switch and cleaned up the contacts, and it seems a bit closer to starting. Is there a way to do something similar to the ignition switch? Any other contacts in this circuit that I should clean up while I'm at it? I can't bring myself to believe it's a timing issue yet. I keep coming back to the dash going blank when I used that impact wrench down there. Something connection related must be going on.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Based on what you just wrote, (dash blanking out). I would simply bypass the ignition switch with 2 jumpers and try it Takes less than one minute to eliminate the ignition switch. There is a thread on here about rebuilding the switch....sometimes they just get too badly worn...I’ll go and take a pick of the ignition jumper and post in a couple minutes

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thanks for the pic. Gave that a try, but no change. Did see some very light corrosion in the white end of the plug that I tried to clean up. Just ordered an obd connector and will try to get some ecu/code info through that once it arrives. I'm thinking if I don't see any codes, I'll open up the battery box and look for damage one more time and if that doesn't fix it timing and compression will be next. 1.99% on a V4 looks better and better with every failed start...

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
999 will let you pull the codes straight off the dash without anything special. Did you try that yet?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
No power commander or anything like it. I've tried this: insert key, hold left button on tach, turn key to on position. Nothing happens except the normal dash startup.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Since I just learned how to post a video again. Here is what you see with a code....I believe if it has no codes it goes straight to start up screen. Not 100% sure but I bet somebody knows.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts