Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
You should be able to see the injectors work by just removing the air filter and looking inside while running. At least to only check them to see if they spray.

edit: are you able to record a short startup video and upload it?

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
You should be able to see the injectors work by just removing the air filter and looking inside while running. At least to only check them to see if they spray.

edit: are you able to record a short startup video and upload it?
True but so much easier to see without poking around a hole with a touch while trying to crank and spray ether down there to start the fires.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,834 Posts
Do the spark plugs have red or black lettering? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Can you just use a spray bottle and squirt some fuel into the intake(s) while you're cranking the engine over? If it is a fuel delivery problem the engine will run as long as you continue to manually squirt shots of fuel into the intake. I've forgotten how many times I've troubleshot this way. Start there ... if the engine runs better while you're manually fueling it, you can focus on the fuel system. If it does not run better, then you've got another problem (timing? ignition issue? etc..).

·
Registered
630 Posts
22 hours. What have you done?

Maybe set himself on fire with "Start ya Bastard"?

Dunno what the fascination is with the ECU being toast, if he has spark and fuel then the ECU is fine and he needs compression and correct timing.....

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Maybe set himself on fire with "Start ya Bastard"?

Dunno what the fascination is with the ECU being toast, if he has spark and fuel then the ECU is fine and he needs compression and correct timing.....
I think because he has the same or similar issues with the new motor. Which is logical but what isn’t logical is how he’s trying to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Confirmed no cloths. Took some video. First is of the injectors (coils unplugged during this test). Second is startup attempt. Watch the beginning to see dash sweep and hear pump prime, then skip to 1:21 for two start attempts (waited for the headlights to go off). Battery is brand new and fresh off the tender for these attempts. I've tried spark plugs with blue and black lettering, can't believe I've overlooked this.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Well it has fuel and spark. So have you done a compression test?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I haven't done that. Don't have the equipment handy, and seemed unlikely given the similar issue with the last engine. I guess it's possible I have two engines with compression issues. I think there's a guy down the road who could test compression for me, maybe I'll head that way next.

·
18,834 Posts
I may have missed this but do you have something like VDST or Tuneecu where you can check for ECU error codes?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Haven't tried that. I thought I could pull error codes by holding the left dash button at startup. Will VDST, Tuneecu, or ducatidiag give me more info?

·
18,834 Posts
Yes. I’m not sure about reading codes on the dash. I’ve never done that on my Ducati’s .

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I Know TiDuc said it has spark, and he knows his stuff, but I would like to see spark. Remove a plug and coil, ground the plug by pressing it against the engine while holding the coil, and crank. We should see nice little sparks.

·
18,834 Posts
Come on experts! We got air, fuel, spark, and it turns over mechanically. WTF!

We can fucking figger this out. :)

Now, how do we find out if all this is happening at the right time?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Is there something I could have switched when plugging in the harness? Other than the coils because I already tried that. It's either got to be something independent of the engine itself (this would rule out valves or belts) or I just so happen to have very similar problems with two engines, and the second engine just so happened to develop that same problem after it came out of the last guy's running bike. Can I replace the ecu without having to do the dash and keys?

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Glad you’re back. Intermittent spark. Interesting. Just out of curiosity have you tried spraying ether into the intake while cranking?? That would be my next move.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts