Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I bought a 04 999 about three months ago that had about 2400 miles on it. Since then I've put about 600 miles on the bike with no issues. The other day I went for a ride and about 10 miles into the trip the bike just quit running while I was riding it. At first I thought that the battery might have went bad. Just so happen that when this happened it happened in front of an auto store. So I took the battery out and replaced it with a new one. And the bike started. I had the store check the old battery and they said it was fine. So I reinstalled the old battery and started the bike with no problem. Started the ride back home and about 5 miles into that trip the same thing happened. The bike just quit running. Again, I let the bike sit for about an hour and it started back up. Both times that this happened nothing came up on the display screen or the warning lights. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
1. Fuel pump relay - gets hot, stops working, cools down & bike runs, repeat
2. Crank speed sensor - air gap to big, sensor failing
3. Fuel pump wiring - wiring "module" that goes into tank, vibration can cause wiring to separate within "module", continuity is difficult to test so replace when al else fails

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
So, 10 miles, then 5 miles. Next one should be about 2.5 mies.

If it is cranking but not starting, you may have a fuel delivery problem, like a clogged filter, plugged venting, or sketchy pump connector. Can you hear the pump running briefly after turning on the key? The pump should run briefly. Note that there is a window to starting before the ECU turns off. Turn key on, listen for pump, when pump stops, start it. If it doesn't start promptly, start over.

Another thing to check would be to make sure the regulator is not overcharging, so some voltage tests might help.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Are you using a power commander? I've had something similar a little more random but it was bad power commander.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It cranks and fails to start. After trying to start it 2 or 3 times then I get a low voltage message. No power commander. Thanks jahjah. I'm assuming you are referring to the pump when the bike won't start. Thanks for the info. Got somewhere to start now. Kinda figured the fuel delivery was similar to a car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So for an update. Went out to duplicate the running issue. Before starting the bike I listened for the fuel pump when the key was put in the on position. Fuel pump came on and then off. Took the bike for a ride around the block and about 15 mins later bike quit running. Turned the key off and then back on listening for the fuel pump. Nothing. Pushed the bike home and took the fairing off to get to the fuel pump relay. After getting to it I removed it and tested it. Relay tested ok. I still purchased a new one just in case. When I received the new relay and installed it the fuel pump still wasn't working. So I removed the relay and tested the plug for the relay with the key in the off position. With a test light I had power on pin 30, which is a heavy gauge Brown wire with a thin gauge Brown wire jumper going to pin 85, which also had power. Pin 86 and 87 had no power. I then installed the new relay and did the same test with the key in the off position. This time I had power on Pin 30, 85, and 86. No power on Pin 87. I'm under the assumption that there should be no power on pin 86 until the key is in the on position. I'm also assuming it doesn't make a difference if the battery box is mounted to the bike for grounding purposes because its plastic. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So yet another update. I have the wiring almost completely exposed. I've removed the battery holder and everything that was attached to it. I disconnected the body plug from the ecu to check for loose connections. Really didn't find anything there. I tested for voltage at the fuel pump relay plug and all wires are getting proper voltage. But what I don't understand is why I'd be getting .9 volts on the brown white wire in key off position. And is there some sort of reboot that must happen after disconnecting the plug from the ecu. My Amber check engine light is on now. If there's someone knowledgable on this forum I could really use some input. Please help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I've posted on the Ultimate Ducati Portal and haven't gotten any responses to my issues. It's got to be either my explanations are too vague or too detailed. I would think there'd be someone on this Ultimate Ducati Portal that would be able to shed some light on the subjects that I've questioned. Why would the immobilizer system be activated if I unplugged the body plug from the ecu. That doesn't happen in a car. And why cant someone answer the question straight up if the red key can override the immobilizer or can that only be done with the code on the code card? If I'm asking the questions in the wrong place or the wrong way. Just let me know. If this site doesn't have the knowledge to help just say so and I'll look elsewhere. But don't call the Ultimate Ducati Portal because it's falling kinda short.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You may have already done this, so my apologies if so. But have you performed a continuity test on the wires from relay to fuel pump? to check for shorts/bad connections underneath the insulation.

Also, what error is being thrown with the amber engine light? iv'e pulled the ECU out of my bike a few times, No errors should pop up. Pulling the battery is what resets things. Use the left key method to find the error code

Have you got a diagnostics plug? using Jpdiag makes life alot easier when tracking down problems. Super cheap and the software is free

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes have done continuity test and all is good. There are no error codes showing. And what is the left key method? Looking into getting a diagnostics plug. Thinking about remapping the ecu so I wont have to worry about the immobilizer system again. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
158 Posts
"If this site doesn't have the knowledge to help just say so and I'll look elsewhere. But don't call the Ultimate Ducati Portal because it's falling kinda short."

I mean really? This is just a forum that we TRY and help each other.
If you can't fix it then take it to a well qualified Ducati mechanic that can.
You obviously can't fix it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never say can't. When I get it fixed Ill post it here so at least someone else will be able to benefit from my experience. These site are set up not only as a chat room but for experienced owners and I'm sure mechanics. But fear not. It will get resolved. Thanks for all the good feedback.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts