Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running my 999R with a direct reverse shifter, but do not really like the additional throw or the fact that the lever moves in an arc away from your foot while shifting. I am going to switch back to the linkage setup, but need a shift arm that will clear everything when mounted 180 degrees opposite the stock position. I've read that newer Monster shift arms work well, but can anyone tell me which year/model monster shift arm I need to be shopping for? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a bit more digging and came up with the answer here. Looks like the part number for the shift arm is 456.1.046.1B, which can be found on numerous Ducati models.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did this work? Looking to do the same thing for my '05 749S...
Yes, worked like a charm. The 456.1.046.1B part number is from various Monster models that has a different angle compared to the stock piece that allows it to clear everything when running a reverse shift pattern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many thanks for the quick replies, esp. on a year-plus old thread! One quick follow-up rabbit45 - do you have an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder? Just wondering if the different angle of the Monster part removes any potential for interference with a larger slave...

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I use a direct lever and find that preferable but if you want to flip the existing linkage then you need (at least on a 916 series bike) the arm from a Monster (or similar) - the critical thing is that you need the straight arm not the offset arm from the SBK as it fouls the casing when fitted upside down.

This type;

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, for anyone who might be interested - came across this part from Podium Racing in my research:

NEW DUCATI GEAR SHIFT ARM STANDARD AND RACE STYLE REVERSE SHIFT 749 999 R & S | eBay

My fear with this part is again with clearance around a larger aftermarket clutch slave; anybody have first-hand experience with this piece?
I have an STM slave on the bike and the Monster shift arm/heim joint combo clears the slave without any issues. I had seen the shift arm you posted, but I believe the Ducati part was about half of the price...

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Why is it that people own a premium bike but are stingy when it comes to buying bits for them. Spend a FEW bucks more and get a REAL shift lever, far more positive feel.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I didn't need to buy anything. Just turned the original arm around. No clearance problems but had to take heat gun and make a small depression in the sprocket cover. Been riding like this since I first got the bike in 2004

1 - 11 of 11 Posts